Post-Game Talk: VAN @ WAS - 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Really just an atrocious defensive first half of the game and then they give up a killer PK goal at the end of the 2nd. One of the few games they’ve lost in the past few weeks where they genuinely deserved to lose. And that’s why the lack of a PP and solid goaltending some of these recent games where they should’ve won, and didn’t, really matters. They’re going to have stinkers every once in a while and this was one of them. Need to win the games where you control play and they haven’t been doing enough of that. On to the next.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Our guys consistently being beaten twice on the 6x5 either speaks to lack of hustle or lack of team speed. Or perhaps both. This team is in trouble.

I’m having a hard time seeing Backstrom being much more than he is now by playoff time. He has hurt the team since his return to be blunt. Lavi is forcefeeding these guys ice time with the intention of getting them ready I guess down the road. I feel like he has sacrificed some areas like the PP, 3x3, and team energy/speed for what he believes is a greater good and he it could end up (yes) taking us out of s playoff position if not putting us into a brutal seed.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Not worried about standings. Caps still on well over a 100 point pace.

the issue is play and getting better. I don’t see any players “improving” as the season goes on. In fact, I see some players decreasing. Not good.

They need a spark - or a goaltender who can come in and be the number 1 guy. I don’t think any of our goalies can steal a series at all right now... and sometimes you need goaltending to make up for the other stuff.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Not worried about standings. Caps still on well over a 100 point pace.

the issue is play and getting better. I don’t see any players “improving” as the season goes on. In fact, I see some players decreasing. Not good.

They need a spark - or a goaltender who can come in and be the number 1 guy. I don’t think any of our goalies can steal a series at all right now... and sometimes you need goaltending to make up for the other stuff.
This. More concerned with how they’re playing at this point. Pretty disappointed with how they played today, but overall I think they’ve been playing quite well, but have been dragged down by poor goaltending and an awful PP.

On a bright note, if Backstrom stays healthy, I think the PP will be fine, which will help quite a bit. Goaltending is still an issue, even though I thought it was fine today.

If they keep playing how they’re playing, and either the PP or goaltending is average or better the rest of the way, I have a hard time seeing them not finish top 3 in the Metro.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Our guys consistently being beaten twice on the 6x5 either speaks to lack of hustle or lack of team speed. Or perhaps both. This team is in trouble.

I’m having a hard time seeing Backstrom being much more than he is now by playoff time. He has hurt the team since his return to be blunt. Lavi is forcefeeding these guys ice time with the intention of getting them ready I guess down the road. I feel like he has sacrificed some areas like the PP, 3x3, and team energy/speed for what he believes is a greater good and he it could end up (yes) taking us out of s playoff position if not putting us into a brutal seed.

Agreed on part 1, but not this part about Backstrom. Hurt is too strong….he’s just kinda there filling space.

What are the options, more Dowd?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This team is out of synch right now. I think the platoon of guys is getting to them a bit now as we just can’t ice our full team (minus Mantha). The thing they need now is consistency across the lineup including goaltending. We’ll get there but going through the mud sucks!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
On the bright side Wilson and the PP got going this weekend. Hopefully that continues. Maybe Backstrom skates himself into shape, and Oshie comes back at some point as something resembling himself. We played well enough to win - guys had a lot of good looks, just couldn’t bury them.

Our issues are the same - lack of secondary scoring, opponents’ goalie better than ours, HDH as our 2nd line. I hope Lavi rips Dowd and Hathaway for all these dumb penalties.

I don’t see how we can get around the core being old and (at least currently) not having a G that can steal a game when needed. There’s only so many pie in the sky trade scenarios.

We will win games playing defensive, low event hockey like yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad