Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire D Nate Schmidt for a 3rd in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Cap dump as in teams knew that Vegas was over the barrel and had to move him, and in a short amount of time.
Isn’t Schmidt worth the 2022 third though? Benning is a terrible GM, but maybe he did good here?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Isn’t Schmidt worth the 2022 third though? Benning is a terrible GM, but maybe he did good here?

In a vacuum yes. In a normal off season, he'd be worth more.

But Vegas was in a bind, and I think a GM could have put the screws to them a little more. Would you run the risk of blowing the deal? Sure. I think you should try to extract as much value wherever possible.

Sometimes it just seems like Jim see's a player he likes and thinks I gotta have em' and accepts the first offer.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Well we did but his muffin shot doesn’t really help on the PP
Using a Chris Tanev on the Pply is on coaching. Who ever said Chris Tanev is a valued Pply player?
Saying that, is the problem. No need to put down aspects of the player's skills unless someone stating certain pkayer possesses this skill or that skill and thus should be a Pply player for sure; when said player clearly does not produce said qualities. Right?

Reactions: I am toxic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

But Vegas was in a bind, and I think a GM could have put the screws to them a little more. Would you run the risk of blowing the deal? Sure. I think you should try to extract as much value wherever possible.

Sometimes it just seems like Jim see's a player he likes and thinks I gotta have em' and accepts the first offer.
Either Schmidt is a good player (that we need) and he’s worth a third, or he’s not. Considering we lost Tanev and Stecher I think it’s important we got Schmidt. I expect he’s an upgrade on those two, so a third is a good price, no?

Reactions: ugghhh

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland

but it was reported that the Schmidt trade with us originally had more moving parts involved.

In this case, I think Benning did try to negotiate and not just accept the first offer asap. This also makes sense when you consider if the offer was first there on Friday/Saturday, why did it take until Monday to be announced? That's more than enough time to try to negotiate more.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Either Schmidt is a good player (that we need) and he’s worth a third, or he’s not. Considering we lost Tanev and Stecher I think it’s important we got Schmidt. I expect he’s an upgrade on those two, so a third is a good price, no?

If you completely ignore the position Vegas was in, sure, it's the best price.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Lol

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What do you think? Do you think a top pairing dman is worth a 3rd or not.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Schmidt is a very good replacement for aspects of Tanev's game, and aspects of Stecher. He might be better at certain things than both former players?
Hopefully he is 'cause that would be a bonus to have replaced 2 for one, for a little cheaper, and be better for it!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If you completely ignore the position Vegas was in, sure, it's the best price.

lol. Kick them while they are down. Squeeze them when for every penny when they are desperate to sell. That's the way to live and do business.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Do you truly believe that for the Canucks it was worth the risk of potentially missing out on Schmidt to potentially give up a later pick instead of just paying the price of a 3rd round pick 2 years from now?

The risk vs reward decision in that scenario seems obvious to me. Especially with what this defense would look like right now without Schmidt.

I’d bet you’d be complaining if Benning got greedy in negotiations and got outbid by someone else, especially if another team got him for a 3rd.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So we've finally come around to this being a bad trade. We're getting soft, it took three days.
Unreal.

I’ve been on the fire Benning wagon for years now but potentially missing out on Schmidt just to save the 3rd round pick and give up something less of value is terrible management.

There’s plenty of other Benning negotiations to criticize, this one is ridiculous.

And yes, I’m well aware that Benning’s management is the reason why we desperately needed Schmidt in the first place lol

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Unreal.

I’ve been on the fire Benning wagon for years now but potentially missing out on Schmidt just to save the 3rd round pick and give up something less of value is terrible management.

There’s plenty of other Benning negotiations to criticize, this one is ridiculous.

And yes, I’m well aware that Benning’s management is the reason why we desperately needed Schmidt in the first place lol
There are rumours that Benning also said, "Yyyyelo" when he answered McCrimmon's call. After that Vegas probably insisted on a 3rd on principle. Yzerman's always so polite.

Reactions: Nucker101

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Whether Benning paid a 3rd or got a 3rd as a sweetener is fairly irrelevant anyway. Ultimately it will come down to their evaluation of Schmidt and if he's worth 6 million a year or not.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
When a top-pairing defenseman becomes available at that price (which is almost never), with a very fair/affordable cap hit, you have to be willing to pull the trigger quickly. Maybe you pass up the opportunity to milk every drop of value from the trade but you can't afford to lose out on the deal.

When people watch Schmidt play, day-in-and-day-out, there won't be a single criticism of this trade. This is a guy who literally tilts the ice almost every time he's on (plus-129 shot differential last season), while playing his team's toughest minutes. Extra assets be damned.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
I can’t even. Only on HFCanucks will you have literally half the thread with the exact same posters as always scrounging up any possible manner in which they could possibly come away from this with “Benning could’ve done better”

How awful. He gave up something with literally no tangible value for a player who by definition, is a top pairing defenseman. Somehow people still complain. You just cannot ever win.

It’s incomprehensible.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So we've finally come around to this being a bad trade. We're getting soft, it took three days.

But Gillis!

Seriously, how long did it take for some here to call the Erhoff trade a bad trade? At the time, we took on San Jose's cap dump for what was essentially a 2nd round pick.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Unreal.

I've disliked Benning longer than anyone on this board (and still want him fired asap) but to have a problem with this trade is amazing. Imagine it came out that Benning lost out on Schmidt because he was trying to play hardball over a 3rd round pick.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
But Gillis!

Seriously, how long did it take for some here to call the Erhoff trade a bad trade? At the time, we took on San Jose's cap dump for what was essentially a 2nd round pick.
A few people, and not necessarily any who might normally be expected to denigrate Gillis, did this in a thread a month or so ago. We look back on moves with perfect hindsight and judge GMs as though they had the same information and the same leisure to make choices with it.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I've disliked Benning longer than anyone on this board (and still want him fired asap) but to have a problem with this trade is amazing. Imagine it came out that Benning lost out on Schmidt because he was trying to play hardball over a 3rd round pick.
It's another case of a Benning move often only being acceptable if it meets a standard that most GMs could not meet or wouldn't risk trying to meet.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But Gillis!

Wasn't that Gillis' defining trade..?..the masterstroke of genius..?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
When a top-pairing defenseman becomes available at that price (which is almost never), with a very fair/affordable cap hit, you have to be willing to pull the trigger quickly. Maybe you pass up the opportunity to milk every drop of value from the trade but you can't afford to lose out on the deal.

When people watch Schmidt play, day-in-and-day-out, there won't be a single criticism of this trade. This is a guy who literally tilts the ice almost every time he's on (plus-129 shot differential last season), while playing his team's toughest minutes. Extra assets be damned.
Still a lot of complaints about Miller trade here. This is more obvious win from the start but Miller was team's best non goalie player last year. He was a top 20 forward in league on good contract. Still people said overpaid assets wrong age, etc. Imagine Schmidt could be great next year and people will find issues. He is a great addition. Other terrible additions are colouring people's viewpoints of the good additions. I sucks we didn't have more space but team is very lucky here.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Jesus. I never said it was a bad trade, I just wondered if there was an opportunity to extract more from the Knights, given their situation and the unprecedented situation the league is in.

But circle jerk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad