Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TOR] Travis Dermott for 2022 3rd round pick

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Unless he improves, he'll be out of the league in 2 years.
This is a very poor take and I hope you eat crow.

Vancouver fans - please ignore this and just watch him with your own eyes. He's a 25 year old d-man with promise and just needed a change of scenery. He shows flashes of brilliance but makes mistakes - which just aren't acceptable for a win-now team like the Leafs.

You will be happy with him - he oozes positivty in the lockerroom and is confident. At worst he is a bottom pairing d-man but I genuinly think this will be a wakeup call for him and he'll turn it around as a top-4 dman.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What happened to the 1st Leaf fans?. lol

Bottom pairing dman gets bottom pairing price. Shocker!,

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Well getting a 3rd is better than I expected but less than ideal for a 2nd round pick we invested so much in.

I wish him the best, he really just need some in a defined role and maybe a consistent partner. to get something going.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He was an everyday defenseman for a top team in the league the last two years. He's not going to blow your socks off but saying he'll be out of the league is a joke. He's a fine player and is only 25.
He was a healthy scratch for at least 6 games this season.

I get people don't want to be that guy who all of a sudden says a player they traded away is no trash, but come on, Dermott is a meh defenseman who doesn't provide offense, isn't strong in corners. His game needs to take a big step in order to stay in the league consistently.

He likely drifts into a tweener, or goes overseas in short time.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I always said hes decent at everything but not really good at anything in particular. Hopefully a change of scenery helps him, he did seem to play a lot better under Babcock then Keefe if that matters.

Reactions: TML1990

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Don't think this is all that bad for Van at all. Can quibble over the fit and the cost, but he provides an upgrade on the bottom pair over Hunt (who's playing wayyyyy more than he should imo). Save some cap in the process

Maybe he grows, maybe he doesn't. But his cap hit isn't asinine for the player he is

I guess maybe Canuck fans would rather keep the extra pick and see Rathbone get a shot but (a) is he ready? and (b) is he a good fit on an already smallish, soft blueline?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I remember you going on and on about how the leafs would need to trade a 1st to move him out and that they would have to take Meyers back, so you shouldnt be bragging to anyone.
You must be thinking of someone else or drunk, or both. I said the Leafs would need to cough up a 1st to dump Mrazek…

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There are a lot of Canuck fans that need to eat a bit of crow WRT to opinions of Dermott in all of the Miller and/or Schenn trade threads. Leafs fans were not wrong when they told you he had a bit of value, and might be a decent fit for Vancouver who'd obviously like to get a bit younger; without going full-blown rebuild.

That being said, he is of course a guy who will likely benefit from the change of scenery, and may yet still blossom into a quality top 4 defenceman.

Overall, you definitely have to like the series of moves the Canucks made today... swapping 3rd rounders (which I guess is kind of irrelevant considering they and Winnipeg have identical winning percentages), but shedding $1.5m on the cap, getting younger, a much "hungrier" player, and some upside as well.

Reactions: M2Beezy

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
There are a lot of Canuck fans that need to eat a bit of crow WRT to opinions of Dermott in all of the Miller and/or Schenn trade threads. Leafs fans were not wrong when they told you he had a bit of value, and might be a decent fit for Vancouver who'd obviously like to get a bit younger; without going full-blown rebuild.

That being said, he is of course a guy who will likely benefit from the change of scenery, and may yet still blossom into a quality top 4 defenceman.

Overall, you definitely have to like the series of moves the Canucks made today... swapping 3rd rounders (which I guess is kind of irrelevant considering they and Winnipeg have identical winning percentages), but shedding $1.5m on the cap, getting younger, a much "hungrier" player, and some upside as well.
Agreed. I was quite wrong, I thought his value was lower. I hope my understanding was wrong and he plays well with the Canucks.

Reactions: BlueBaron

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Wish you well in Vancouver, Travis.

What a botched 2nd round pick from Hunter. I had higher hopes from him than the player he's become. Still hope he's able to find a niche and stick to an NHL lineup.

Reactions: TML1990

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nope it was definitely you. You also said that Mrazek was worth a first rounder so i dont know why youre pretending you didnt now.
Nope, prove it! Put up or shut up sparky! lol

And stop drinking…

Sorry you didn’t get a 1st for Dermott. Keep swinging. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad