Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TBL] J.T. Miller for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd round pick, and 2020 conditional 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Probably playing the best hockey of his career right now. Glad to see it working out for you guys in Vancouver. Y'all gotta lay off Jim Benning so much. He's not great but it gets worse than him -especially in other sports.

I know that I am one of the few who feel this way, but Benning has done an outstanding job for the Canucks. Sure he has made his mistakes, as all GM's do, but he has rebuilt this team in only 5 years. That is a very good turn around. Canucks have depth in all positions, roll 4 lines, have strong D, have outstanding goaltending and a loaded farm system. They should make a real push for the playoffs this season. But according to many, JB sucks.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I know that I am one of the few who feel this way, but Benning has done an outstanding job for the Canucks. Sure he has made his mistakes, as all GM's do, but he has rebuilt this team in only 5 years. That is a very good turn around. Canucks have depth in all positions, roll 4 lines, have strong D, have outstanding goaltending and a loaded farm system. They should make a real push for the playoffs this season. But according to many, JB sucks.
I really like Travis Green as a coach as well

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I said he was a good player. Id have traded Gourde instead if I didnt know we could possibly get a unprotected 1st out of this.

Underutilized in Tampa with a ridiculously short leash from Cooper, I don't think anyone could argue he played to his potential last year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Underutilized in Tampa with a ridiculously short leash from Cooper, I don't think anyone could argue he played to his potential last year.

I thought he looked good with Stamkos and Kucherov the year before. Played well with Point too. We won 62 games without him in the top 6 but he fit in there just as well as anybody else we put up there, if not better.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why are people so concerned about how bad this looks for TBL? It’s a win win trade, a good hockey trade that helped both teams. TBL had to clear cap and Canucks badly needed a player like JT Miller, both teams got what they needed.
Because young folks have a weird obsession with having to label someone a winner and someone a loser so they can argue with each other about who is better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Looks like this trade isn't the disaster that so many predicted. Keeping Yanni Gourde over Miller looks like a disaster though.

Nah. Gourde has found a role for himself. We had to clear somebody. If you go back through the thread, most TB fans didn't think Vancouver overpaid. We figured Miller would be really good there.

ADD: It's really NYR fans who've got a strange grudge with him.

Last edited:

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Fair deal.

What I'm curious about is next off-season, when the Lightning are in another cap crunch. Is a big trade gonna be made, or will they fill the roster w/ ELC's & vet minimum contracts? Also, how much is Mikhail Sergachev looking to re-sign for?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The only team that made out poorly is the Rangers. TB got good value and Vancouver got a great player. New York got Namestnikov

Reactions: bh53

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Why did this turd, I mean gem, of a thread get necro'd?

As far as I'm concerned Canucks got their guy, and Tampa got a few picks, everyone is happy, right?

Or are we rubbing it in the faces of Negative Nancy's who aren't going to reply to or even read this?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hes been great for us, Im just hoping he doesnt make us a team that will for a while be a mediocritc team that wont be good enough to compete but also not bad enough to get top picks

Also ya know, hopefully Tampa doesnt get a top 5 pick in 2021

But as a player he has been great. We have been warned he can be inconsistent but so far thru 30 games he has been our most consistent player, and brings it all the time. He has had a handful of WHAT ARE YOU DOING brain farts, but he also has handful of great plays every game so i will take that trade off.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes a guy is just a square peg in a round hole. Miller had a lot of wingers ahead of him with the Bolts....but kudos to Benning for recognizing that he had 'another gear to reach' in a different setting.

But it happens. Look at Blake Wheeler. Another first-round pick who bounced around the league, but is now the captain and a mainstay in Winnipeg.

And from the Canucks perspective, getting a guy who's a legitimate top-six forward; only 26 and on a cost-controlled contract for the next five seasons,, makes it an even better deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's a good trade. I think the evidence is that, if either team had a time machine, they'd go back and make the same deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad