Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TB] Canucks acquire G Spencer Martin for Future Considerations

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nothing against Spencer Martin, who's bounced around the AHL for the last six seasons. But you'd have to say that Ian Clark is the Yoda of goaltending coaches. He could turn Martin Brochu and Zane McIntryre into a Vezina Trophy winner

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Martin is a UFA at the end of the season. I think the Canucks should quickly decide whether they want him as the backup next year. I say give him a 2 year 1-way contract at $800K AAV RIGHT NOW! Martin gets some security and the Canucks risk very little.
According to Drance’s league sources, he wouldn’t make it through waivers as things stand.

This Halak thing is very interesting. I really think it’s going to be the first shoe to fall

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
According to Drance’s league sources, he wouldn’t make it through waivers as things stand.

This Halak thing is very interesting. I really think it’s going to be the first shoe to fall

We could freeze Halak before he triggers the bonus and have the guise of legitimately being about performance of Martin.

Not only would we save on cap next year but Halak might waive his NMC out of frustration and we end up getting a decent return for him.

A fantasy scenario that incrementally getting closer to plausible.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Can Halak be the future consideration please

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sure but Martin was recalled on January 15 and he has only played 3 games. He doesn't require waivers to be sent back down.

It doesn't detract from the point I was making though. The Canucks should decide quickly whether they want Martin as the backup next year because this is the best time to extend him and possibly get value. Absent injury to the Demko and Halak, the Canucks could send Martin down and all he will have is 3 (and perhaps 4) NHL games this season. Is that enough to get a 1 year 1 way contract? Perhaps. Is it enough to be penciled in for a backup role? I wouldn't bet on it without some odds. Is it enough to get a 2 year 1 way contract? I highly doubt it.

Martin has been terrific but he's very much considered a career AHL goalie. Former Canuck Louis Domingue has gotten some rave reviews for his recent 40 save performance.

Martin has been terrific thus far but do I think he's better than Halak? I don't. Martin's rebound control seems pretty poor to me. I'm not convinced that he will be a decent backup goalie in the NHL over the next two years but I definitely won't rule it out. I simply see this as an opportunity for the Canucks to possibly get some good value out of Martin with very low risk by extending him.

The Canucks should feel more comfortable trading Halak given Spencer's performance. I would roll the dice and trade Halak but I wouldn't be upset if we ended up keeping Halak.

Reactions: JoeCool16

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Was bummed this guy never panned out with the Avs, but am admittedly stoked to see him put up an effort like that tonight. Unfortunate he didn’t get the W, but to get a point against the Panthers this season is pretty legit.

Hope he continues to shine. Except when you visit Denver. He can take the night off then.
oh for sure. You guys get Demko.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Spencer Martin is what we had all hoped DiPietro to become... sign this guy FAST

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Should be able to get him locked in for two years at the minimum here. Let him compete for the backup job next year.

If he turns out to be a pumpkin, no big deal.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Should be able to get him locked in for two years at the minimum here. Let him compete for the backup job next year.

The backup job should be his to lose next year. Why makes things complicated when you don't need to?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The backup job should be his to lose next year. Why makes things complicated when you don't need to?

He hasn't done enough to hand him the job. But he has done enough to earn a contract and given he has been making peanuts for awhile this should be an easy contract if you give him an NHL salary.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He hasn't done enough to hand him the job. But he has done enough to earn a contract and given he has been making peanuts for awhile this should be an easy contract if you give him an NHL salary.
Is that you, Green? :laugh:

Usually, may not give a backup job to a player who only played a few good games, Canucks does not have a couple of million Cap space to sign a backup goalie.

Reactions: mathonwy

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

His value has gone up the past three games. I hope they're able to get him signed, but wouldn't be surprised if he decides to see what happens in free agency. DiPietro and Silovs haven't shown they're NHL ready and the Canucks need someone to partner with Demko next season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is that you, Green? :laugh:

Usually, may not give a backup job to a player who only played a few good games, Canucks does not have a couple of million Cap space to sign a backup goalie.

I'm just saying you don't have to just hand him the job next year based on a small sample size. Even if he's just competing with DiPietro, Silovs, or another minimum guy.

His value has gone up the past three games. I hope they're able to get him signed, but wouldn't be surprised if he decides to see what happens in free agency. DiPietro and Silovs haven't shown they're NHL ready and the Canucks need someone to partner with Demko next season.

I would be very surprised if he didn't opt for two years of guaranteed money if it was offered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad