Post-Game Talk: Van Ryn's system and Jones hand another loss

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired defenceman Jake McCabe, forward Sam Lafferty, a conditional fifth-round pick in 2024, and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2025 from the Chicago Blackhawks, the team announced Monday.

The Leafs are sending the Blackhawks a conditional 2025 first-round pick, a 2026 second-round pick, and forwards Joey Anderson and Pavel Gogolev.

And retention.

And a 5th. round pick from Vancouver for Lafferty.

Grebenkin is a 5th. round pick. ;-)
Looks like we lost the trade pretty bad

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Is Tavares playing injured or something? Looks like a total different player. I was so excited when Willy scored 2 and Marner, hurt after blocking, pushed through and scored. But yet again here we are and by the way things are going we might even miss the playoffs. Where is our captain?

Reactions: Roo

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
This team is so mid

Tre needs to add a multi year deadline top 4 dman and then sign 2 top 4 RHD in the off season

Next year d should be

Rielly - Signing
Deadline deal - Signing
McCabe - Liljegren / Benoit

Let Brodie walk even if he wants .950. Drive gio to the retirement home.

If we value Benoit over Liljegren I’d deal him, it’s been 8 years and he can’t keep up

With 55 mil tied up in 5 players I’m not sure how realistic this D corp is.

Leafs need 1 or 2 ELC prospects/marlies call ups playing on D (6/7 d) and same for the fourth line.

Moneys too tight for 2 UFA signings and a deadline deal on defense.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I wonder how it looks with Laff on the roster and McCabe beside Dumba or OEL.

1705858816896.gif

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
They need a new coach to shake things up.
Unless we know for sure (which won't happen from any of us) that Shanahan lets his GM and coach do their thing, with no interference from him, then I'm definitely for that. That being said, I have never been a fan of Keefe!

They were expecting him to maybe play half a dozen games as a short-term injury replacement and spend most of the season with the Marlies.

This guy was a coach???
maxresdefault.jpg

Is he actually a good coach or just a meathead who just got really lucky one year?
Has Keefe gotten lucky at least one year? Enough said!

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don’t think there is any combo which makes Bert effective, even last night he blew the empty net to give us a 4-3 lead. He’s more disappointing than anyone, I’d deal him for the highest pick

Gregor is a fourth liner, and we have that set for now

Knies isn’t completely ready for the nhl

Tavares has been tried with Marner, nylander, and neither. Looks like a 4C no matter what

These guys are just bad, and in knies case, not ready.
Yup, I don't know that any coach could get any more from this group. And Bertuzzi and Domi have turned out to be poor signings, especially Bert!

Mar 26, 2010
Is Tavares playing injured or something? Looks like a total different player. I was so excited when Willy scored 2 and Marner, hurt after blocking, pushed through and scored. But yet again here we are and by the way things are going we might even miss the playoffs. Where is our captain?
His age has caught up to him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't care where the Pens board is. The person I replied to brought them up.
I care about the fact that the Leafs are worse because Shanahan made a kneejerk bad decision last offseason.
We'd be just as bad with Dubas instead of Tre. I told you on a number of occasions in the past that the guy who took over from Dubas would be f***ed and here we are. Perhaps you should stop responding to criticism of the previous GM so we can all move on.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Yeah we missed the play offs a ton with those players and Dubas. You are right...
Yes, we made the playoffs and then found every way possible to not win a round (a few of them in epic fashion), until last year. Not good enough!!! Shanahan is a f***ing idiot for how he has constructed this team, as well as allowing this unaccountability to a few core players!

Reactions: ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We'd be just as bad with Dubas instead of Tre. I told you on a number of occasions in the past that the guy who took over from Dubas would be f***ed and here we are. Perhaps you should stop responding to criticism of the previous GM so we can all move on.
We'd be much better off if we never switched GMs.
I tried to explain to you on a number of occasions that this was the outcome we'd get, and now here we are.
If you want to move on, I'm not sure why you bring him up and respond to me.

Reactions: Gallagbi

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They made the playin, and those covid seasons were kind of fake because that one year the Canadiens had one of the worst records in the league, but because of the covid rules somehow made the playoffs and even went to the finals. The Leafs never missed the playoffs under Dubas.
the playins were there to determine who made the playoffs , that's why they weren't called ''playoffs''

anyway it doesn't matter , Dubas will never be back regardless of how much his supporters whine (not saying your one of them)

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
He’s being misused, when a vet‘s game falls off the cliff you limit his minutes and go to younger options, Keefe is clueless. Ditto for Brodie and Gio, all three are toast at the NHL level……..
And that's why it's crucial to keep replenishing the cupboards until you have a legitimate Cup contender, as well as leaders who will go through a brick wall in order to win games. Instead, we have prima donnas (with the exception of Matthews, maybe, who occasionally plays with a little snarl) who shy away from contact and prefer to stay on the perimeter.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Game speed in pro hockey always picks up after XMAS .. and it only gets faster in playoffs .. JT just can't keep up .. nothing more to it than that

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
We didn't miss the playoffs any year under Dubas.
And he's currently in charge of another team that is currently doing better than last year, despite everybody predicting continued significant decline.
No, you're right about that, but until this past year when we managed to get by a Tampa team only to go out with a whimper the next round against Florida, what actual progress has been made? Dubas and Shanahan have no clue how to properly build a team that can compete and win rounds in the playoffs. Here are their playoff results since 2019.

With this vaunted core group of players they had, we should have seen much better results.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No, you're right about that, but until this past year when we managed to get by a Tampa team only to go out with a whimper the next round against Florida, what actual progress has been made? Dubas and Shanahan have no clue how to properly build a team that can compete and win rounds in the playoffs. Here are their playoff results since 2019.

With this vaunted core group of players they had, we should have seen much better results.
It's funny, so many people celebrated moving on from Dubas because of roster construction/cap allocation in the same offseason he was rumoured to be moving on from a core player and reallocating cap.

This team doesn't need Dubas to win, he's never won and every cup in history has been won by a guy not named Dubas. However we need someone who understands the teams needs and it looks like we've gotten further from that this year.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Game speed in pro hockey always picks up after XMAS .. and it only gets faster in playoffs .. JT just can't keep up .. nothing more to it than that
Tavares is cooked, he's accumulated his points this year on the shoulders of the pp and Nylander, he's slow as molasses and no speed burst metric analytical BS will change its reality in plain effin sight

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's funny, so many people celebrated moving on from Dubas because of roster construction/cap allocation in the same offseason he was rumoured to be moving on from a core player and reallocating cap.

This team doesn't need Dubas to win, he's never won and every cup in history has been won by a guy not named Dubas. However we need someone who understands the teams needs and it looks like we've gotten further from that this year.
We don’t know how much power a new GM who has the understanding of playoff hockey would have.
Shanahan handpicks his guys and it might be conditional that you can only do certain things. Again we don’t know know but I don’t think Tre is GMing alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad