Confirmed with Link: [VAN/OTT] Anders Nilsson, Darren Archibald traded for Tom Pyatt, Mike McKenna, 6th Round Pick in '19

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The extra 6th can be used to manouver in the 3rd-4th round.

I don't know the implications for Utica.
I also don't know if this is good or bad for Demko.
@mossey3535 Do you feel Demko is up for the backup role this year?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

how can the 6th be used to maneuver a 3rd or 4th exactly?

Something else of value would have to be added.

I'm not saying that it's a bad trade it it's pretty irrelevant really.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Not sure why everyone is so angry about this

It was a minor trade with results we wanted and seems is nothing more. Ottawa gets a chance to lessend their chances of winning the lottery for Colorado... so.... small win win???

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Benning also said the same thing about Sbisa and Jokinen.

When Benning says this about a player he acquires,it’s probably safe to assume that the players former team insisted he be included in the deal.
Deal from the Sens POV was to get Nilsson. At $2 million in salary, the Canucks first needed a goalie back to play in the A, thus McKenna and to balance out salary it was Pyatt. Canucks probably wanted to net out contracts coming and going thus Archibald. So they get a pick.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Good, insightful argument.

The truth is "The Anti-Benning faction" is more level headed. He's objectively done a bad job, and the team's record with him reflects that.

You are judging a manager based off team's record? The record is a lagging indicator so you cannot judge a gm from the early record. Benning has now had 5 drafts and only 3 players remain from Benning's first year team. So you can judge this team on him. If you judge this organization now is it bad? I think this team will be a playoff team next year if not this year. They are on the rise. People who judge Benning off current team would be neutral on him not say he has done a bad job, because this team is not a bad team anymore and it is getting better.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Nilsson was one of the more interesting goalies to pass through the Canucks organization. My impressions of him is that he is feast or famine. It seems like if it's towards the beginning of the season, he looks like an absolute gem brick wall in the net. After the first part of the season, I don't think I've seen a bigger sieve. When he's not playing well, I am constantly impressed a goaltender as big as him has as many holes as he does.

I understand why people think there was more to his game as he did have a couple of lights out performances here. But my main recollection of him is Nilsson letting in a bad one followed by being completely shellacked.

I personally thought he was on his way out of the league but maybe he can rebuild his career in Ottawa.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I think it is pretty safe to write them off...

Then we can "write them back on" if they end up being more than a depth piece in the farm.

3 tries at a 6th round mystery box this draft... be nice if we could get some higher picks too.

Honestly even a depth piece out of 6th rounder is decent, means we would have an NHL player/tweener from very late over the standard AHL/KHL lifers.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Deal from the Sens POV was to get Nilsson. At $2 million in salary, the Canucks first needed a goalie back to play in the A, thus McKenna and to balance out salary it was Pyatt. Canucks probably wanted to net out contracts coming and going thus Archibald. So they get a pick.

This,I think,is pretty accurate except a couple small details.
Sens needed a better backup goalie and are willing to spend a pick.Nilsson fits the bill and we’re willing to part with him to make room to audition Demko but his salary is high so we take back Pyatt to somewhat balance it out.Sens want a bit of an add for the 6th rounder and like Archie for his grit and leadership so he gets added in although I wish Benning would have refused that part of the deal as Utica is already pretty soft.
With Nilsson a Senator,McKenna was then redundant in OTT and needed for Utica so he comes back this way.

Deal should be a win/win for both teams.For us it gives our scouts an extra shot to find an useable player for down the road and gives Demko an NHL spot for the rest of the season.This is the type of move that we need to see more of going forward.
Hopefully Poo and Del Zaster can be moved out at some point to make a spot for Quinn Hughes when his college season is done.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
3 tries at a 6th round mystery box this draft... be nice if we could get some higher picks too.

Honestly even a depth piece out of 6th rounder is decent, means we would have an NHL player/tweener from very late over the standard AHL/KHL lifers.

I agree. Those shouldn't be underrated either.

An AHL:er from your 6th round is a win in my book. Just not a prospect Im going to keep tabs on is what Im saying.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The scouts obviously like having those pick. Last draft the Canucks traded down to add the extra pick based on Brackett's wishes. In reality, two 6th round picks to move into the 5th round is an overpayment and might get you a 4th round pick. There is some currency there to move up in the draft in a situation where there is a player still available that you like that you had ranked much higher.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm getting confused here...I thought Pyatt before the trade was on waivers, and now McKenna is on waivers?

What is happening?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I'm getting confused here...I thought Pyatt before the trade was on waivers, and now McKenna is on waivers?

What is happening?
Both were acquired to play in the AHL.

The Sens sent Pyatt to the A before the trade and he required waivers. McKenna needs to be waived before being sent down as well.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

What is happening?

AHL replacements for Archibald and Demko so that Demko can be called up.

Basically we traded Archibald and Nilsson for a 6th and a roster spot for Demko

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

What is happening?

They were basically included to keep the number of contract slots even. Ottawa is at 48/50 contracts and would have been maxed if they'd taken Archie and Nilsson without dropping anyone.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Barely. It might all work out but in general I think he has a ton of work to do to be an actual NHL starter. Like core fundamentals need work.

Working with Clark a lot might get his game in shape and Green doesn't mind riding Marky so the number of games can be controlled. From that perspective he can be the backup now.

IMO I wouldn't though, since he's not that far removed from the concussion and probably benefits more from lots of starts. On the other hand he seems like he can win at the AHL level but the last time he was called up plus this preseason he looked like a mess.

McKenna once wrote an articles about AHL vs NHL and basically said creativity and how quickly plays develop are the major differences. In the preseason Demko seemed unable to read the play, at a time when the training wheels are basically on. So from that perspective he will probably benefit from being thrown into the NHL fire - as the pace increases you adapt. On the other hand, with puck tracking (which he is also not good at) and skating (he is too stiff-legged IMO) you can improve those with adjustments in the AHL.

I do like Demko as a prospect so I'm going to optimistically say it will be good for him but he will have some really ugly starts in there.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Nilsson seem to do well this far in Ottawa.
He seems like a streaky guy. Put up stretches last year where he played very well before coming back to earth.

I think he has potential but consistency has been an issue for him. I hope he does well and finds it.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2