Proposal: VAN-NYR-OTT

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
I like the effort made to do this, even if Ottawa wouldn't agree. Seems to me it comes down to whether a 2nd rounder buys that much cap space. Based on the comments, sounds like that's a no, but points for effort.

One comment: it makes me wonder if we're on the cusp of a bunch of creative solutions to shuffle retained salary around and generate space. As usual with the NHL, they will be behind the curve on this. Some smart GM will do something plainly ridiculous and against the spirit of the rules, people will be up in arms, and the NHL will belatedly put limits on this and screw a couple of teams over unexpectedly.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Points for creativity but I don't think Ottawa or the Rangers do this

Sens have more or less picked up the vets they want, and want to give the kids a shot too. Baertschi/Smith don't do much for them tbh

Rangers are probably better off holding onto Smith as a swingman and letting his contract expire. The guys they add don't really help them all that much, and even the token sum of a 5th rounder isn't worth it for them

This also seems quite complicated for a Jimbo deal but I won't pile on the guy :sarcasm: (I also don't think you could retain Benn's salary down to $500k, only the min salary)

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I don't see why Ottawa does this. The roster is mostly filled out at this point and they have reached the cap floor, don't know that they are looking to take on more salary while taking away roster spots from younger players.

Rangers don't need garbage from other teams. They have an elite farm.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Less retention from Vancity and id consider the OPs proposal
No retention from Benning, so dumping crappy contracts isn’t happening. Baer and Sutter will finish their contracts on the Canuck’s cap. Loui, Rooster, and Beagle will too. Benning wont pay the cost (which would be extreme) to dumperoo these guys.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
No retention from Benning, so dumping crappy contracts isn’t happening. Baer and Sutter will finish their contracts on the Canuck’s cap. Loui, Rooster, and Beagle will too. Benning wont pay the cost (which would be extreme) to dumperoo these guys.
Yup and nor should he if the price is a first or high end prospect. It is a cat and mouse game though, teams with space want to gain assets but don't need to, some teams with cap space need to move it. Canucks aren't quite at the point of a panic trade, they can still bury contracts even if they can't get Ferland on LTIR.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Hate to break it to you but the league is not our donation bin.
Even as a Canuck fan I hate seeing these kinds of trades being proposed since it just portrays our fanbase as being uninformed. We can do better guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad