Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYR] Nicklas Jensen + 2017 6th for Emerson Etem

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's an approximation of his value, reflecting the pick turning into a NHL player that fits on a NHL roster somewhere, not a forecast for his future.

So his value is waivers? After all Linden Vey meets your criteria and he cleared waivers.

On average a 6th round pick has a 14.33% chance of playing 100 games and a 4.97% chance of scoring more than 100 points. Etem is already more of a NHL player than 85% of 6th round picks will EVER become in their entire professional career. Add to that, he's only 23 and has already scored 34 career points.

So have dozens of waiver level/waiver cleared players and dirt cheap UFAs.

He's a much higher quality player than we'd have likely added to the organization with that 6th pick.
So are waived players, should we trade 6ths, 5ths, 4ths, 3rds,2nds for them? You are using a discredited argument.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Only on Canucks forums will you find fans loosing their **** over trading away essentially a 6th round pick straight up (Jensen likely not being resigned in the off season) for a young player who still has time to develop into more than what he essentially is at the moment.... a third line winger with good corsi numbers.

This kid is still young and already he plays at a third line winger point pace with good Corsi numbers and could still improve in point production.

Pull it together folks. It's a 6th round pick. This kid has a better chance at being a top 6 than what we would have drafted with that pick.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
With 12 points in 28 games Forsling is the 3rd leading d-man scorer on his club.

The other 2 d-men on the team ahead of him have:
21 points in 32 games (Billings)
20 points in 31 games (Junland)

Billings is the same size as Forsling, and not considered a prospect by anyone.
Junland was a 3rd round pick in 2006 with good size, who didn't make it with the Blues.

Make no mistake about it, I still wish we had Forsling (Clendening was atrocious), but let's not pretend Forsling is any kind of high end prospect. He's a long shot at having any type of significant NHL career.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Only on Canucks forums will you find fans loosing their **** over trading away essentially a 6th round pick straight up (Jensen likely not being resigned in the off season) for a young player who still has time to develop into more than what he essentially is at the moment.... a third line winger with good corsi numbers.

This kid is still young and already he plays at a third line winger point pace with good Corsi numbers and could still improve in point production.

Pull it together folks. It's a 6th round pick. This kid has a better chance at being a top 6 than what we would have drafted with that pick.

For sure, even the most ardent Benning haters should not have a problem with this trade. At least those who still hang on to some objectivity. Most fair observers would consider this a win for Benning.

No real downside here, Etem worth a look as he did well in both WHL and AHL and brings needed size and speed to the mix. Still young enough to turn it around and cannot possibly bring less to the ice than Chris Higgins.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Make no mistake about it, I still wish we had Forsling (Clendening was atrocious), but let's not pretend Forsling is any kind of high end prospect. He's a long shot at having any type of significant NHL career.
Deal did show some doubt in Benning's talent evaluation abilities in trading for an inferior prospect.

For sure, even the most ardent Benning haters should not have a problem with this trade. At least those who still hang on to some objectivity. Most fair observers would consider this a win for Benning.
Marginal win. One slightly better mystery box.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

To be fair I think it is because Benning has traded away quite a few picks, though honestly I can't really fault him for them. The Vey one is annoying and all the throw in ones.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
To be fair I think it is because Benning has traded away quite a few picks, though honestly I can't really fault him for them. The Vey one is annoying and all the throw in ones.

In hindsight, sure. But quite a bit of people were happy with the trade at the time. He tracked well in the past 3 years in the AHL.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Even the Vey pick is turning out to be not terrible. His play since being recalled has been solid. No, not a 2nd line center, but he's been a solid depth piece the last few games, and looked good with Virtanen vs TB. Etem-Vey-Virtanen has some potential. Won't get many to acknowledge it, but Vey has provided more utility than any second rounder since, who, Raymond? No homerun, but at leasta fielder's choice that advances a runner.

A positive in just about every deal Benning has made involving picks is there has still been potential upside in the players acquired. Only two this doesn't hold is Prust and Dorsett, but mentorpede and face punching. And really, too early to close the book on any of the younger guys added yet.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Name one person who is "loosing (sic) their ****." Name one person who is even negative about this trade.

The level of sanctimony on these forums, my goodness.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Even the Vey pick is turning out to be not terrible. His play since being recalled has been solid. No, not a 2nd line center, but he's been a solid depth piece the last few games, and looked good with Virtanen vs TB. Etem-Vey-Virtanen has some potential. Won't get many to acknowledge it, but Vey has provided more utility than any second rounder since, who, Raymond? No homerun, but at leasta fielder's choice that advances a runner.

A positive in just about every deal Benning has made involving picks is there has still been potential upside in the players acquired. Only two this doesn't hold is Prust and Dorsett, but mentorpede and face punching. And really, too early to close the book on any of the younger guys added yet.

Exactly, and Vey hasn't even played 2 full seasons with us or the NHL yet. He has some good tools: shot accuracy, playmaking, PP. I think we need to give it a bit more time.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks are picking up a nice collection of young players
Horvat
Virtanen
McCann
Baertschi
Etem
Boeser
Hutton
Markstrom
Demko
Pedan
Tryamkin

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Exactly, and Vey hasn't even played 2 full seasons with us or the NHL yet. He has some good tools: shot accuracy, playmaking, PP. I think we need to give it a bit more time.

Don't think more time is needed for Vey to develop or for all to know what he is. As others have said, he's a depth guy who can step into bottom 9 role. If he's being relied on to play a regular 2nd line role then there is something else seriously wrong with the team. He's also not really a 4th liner.

Overall, he's turning out to be ok. But I also think it's fair to say now that a 2nd round pick was too steep a price, primariuly because players like him can be picked up on the waiver wire or signed as UFAs to very reasonable contracts.

Other players with greater upside (e.g. Etem) need to be played ahead of Vey so they have a better chance of reaching their potential.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Canucks are picking up a nice collection of young players
Horvat
Virtanen
McCann
Baertschi
Etem
Boeser
Hutton
Markstrom
Demko
Pedan
Tryamkin

I would add Rodin to that list. A little older and not signed but the team holds his rights.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

He's providing the same kind of utility as Wellwood or Ebbett. Giving up a 2nd for a guy that clears waivers and would continue to isn't good.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
He's providing the same kind of utility as Wellwood or Ebbett. Giving up a 2nd for a guy that clears waivers and would continue to isn't good.

Man, I'd way rather have Ebbett than garrison! Said no one ever. The Vey trade, while in theory not a bad idea, ended up being poor. Why can't people accept this?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I don't mind Vey on this team, I just hate when he's playing over player like McCann who has much more potential and clearly WD loves Vey.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
huh? seriously now people are backing the vey trade? absolutely ridiculous, guy had a very good preseason and found some magic with the sedins early last season on the power play but he's been a tweener for the majority of his time here in the mold of ebbet and schroeder (a guy we could have just qualified and not had to trade a 2nd round. Vey as a 24 year old scored a 48 point pace at the AHL level, he's not good at professional level hockey and trying to back a move like that is absolutely ridiculous.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Was wondering why is this thread still so active?
*Click
Saw posters arguing over a 6th round pick.
The sky is blue.

Yeah kinda strange im against benning as much as anyone but i thought this was a good trade. I like Etem. Anyone know if he plays tomorrow against Luuuu?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad