Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Canucks acquire F Anthony Beauvillier, F Aatu Raty, Conditional 1st in ‘23 or ‘24 for F Bo Horvat (25% Retention) - Part II

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Another element with acquiring Beau is in some sense he becomes Brock's replacement. Writing on the wall regarding Boeser is in bright neon, but it's also clear there is never going to be a full tear down, ice a 60 point team kinda rebuild under Aqua.

So get a pick on two for Boeser, and Beau slots into his roster spot and saves around $2.5m towards next year's cap.

Have to believe Horvat is only the first domino, and imo this "trade deadline" will need to be evaluated holistically including whatever other deals happen over the next few weeks.
I'd imagine they see Beau and Hog/Pod as replacements for both Boeser/Garland

Reactions: alternate

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Some are plugging Raty into lineups. I was under the impression Allvin said he'd finish the year in the AHL?

he did say that. it was the best thing he said. i would have bet money they would start him in the nhl for all the positive press it would create. very glad they resisted that temptation, and a sign that pr and a certain owner is not driving decisions.

if they plan to move both garland and boeser then beauvilier makes sense. as much as he is a salary dump by the isles i will guess he was not the first or second player they wanted to send back in that role. so maybe he was targeted at least to the extent of "if a salary comes back we want beauvillier".

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Another element with acquiring Beau is in some sense he becomes Brock's replacement. Writing on the wall regarding Boeser is in bright neon, but it's also clear there is never going to be a full tear down, ice a 60 point team kinda rebuild under Aqua.

So get a pick on two for Boeser, and Beau slots into his roster spot and saves around $2.5m towards next year's cap.

Have to believe Horvat is only the first domino, and imo this "trade deadline" will need to be evaluated holistically including whatever other deals happen over the next few weeks.
If Alvin gets that for Boeser, I'd nominate for GM of the year unless there's significant salary retention (which kind of defeats the purpose of dealing him)

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If Alvin gets that for Boeser, I'd nominate for GM of the year unless there's significant salary retention (which kind of defeats the purpose of dealing him)

I dunno, Boeser is on pace for 60 points / 82 games this season. I don't think a 2nd or a 3rd+4th is an outrageous expectation if a team has some cap space. A deal like that likely doesn't happen until TDL day, but don't feel it would deserve a parade or anything.

14 is kinda an ugly number. Do not approve.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
if they plan to move both garland and boeser then beauvilier makes sense. as much as he is a salary dump by the isles i will guess he was not the first or second player they wanted to send back in that role. so maybe he was targeted at least to the extent of "if a salary comes back we want beauvillier".

He makes sense as a target as this team will probably suck next year so if he's half-way decent they can flip him at the deadline based on his past playoff success.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I dunno, Boeser is on pace for 60 points / 82 games this season. I don't think a 2nd or a 3rd+4th is an outrageous expectation if a team has some cap space. A deal like that likely doesn't happen until TDL day, but don't feel it would deserve a parade or anything.
I'd assume teams would have pro scouts watching him skate around the ice with a piano on his back so the only teams that I could see interested would be more stat-oriented teams since he looks bad going by the eye test and even they'd be hesitant due to his contract.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
or if it ends up being a 27 pick in this draft. the value of this trades is MUCH different if its the 13 pick or a mid to late 20's pick, it goes from being its fair to that's a bit weak.
Yes but the thing is at the point of a trade leading up to the deadline you don't know what the actual pick is going to be. It's a gamble, but from the perspective of now this is the best chip you could ask for at the 1st round pick table.

Sometimes it's good to gamble. At worst, they get a pick comparable to what they would have gotten from a Boston. More realistically, it's in the 10-20 range this year or next. On the jack pot, and about as likely if not moreso as being a late first, you get a top 10 pick next year.

While the Canucks may not have 'shopped' the offer is doesn't seem likely anyone would give a single asset as good as that. And let's keep in mind that Lou is the type of guy who'd probably get passed if you shopped his offer around and pull it off the table. Then you're shopping nothing. Say what you want about the trade but I'm not going to blame them for that aspect of it.

Reactions: Hodgy

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Odd to me that Cizikas wouldn't give up 53. But whatever. Quintessential Horvat to not even rock the boat and take something different.

cizikas is a long time islander and one of the key leaders on that team. if the isle had a ring of honour he'd be a guy that fans would talk about including in it (he's not that good, but he's the closest thing the isle have to like alex burrows). it would be bizaare for him to give up his number for horvat

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He makes sense as a target as this team will probably suck next year so if he's half-way decent they can flip him at the deadline based on his past playoff success.

i don't think they are making trades based on sucking last year. but rutherford did flip a lot of nhl players in the $2-4m window so allowing for inflation maybe beauvillier is one of those down the road. hopefully pettersson can pump up his tires the way crosby used to do for rutherford gets.

Reactions: m9

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I'd assume teams would have pro scouts watching him skate around the ice with a piano on his back so the only teams that I could see interested would be more stat-oriented teams since he looks bad going by the eye test and even they'd be hesitant due to his contract.
I think Boeser is dealing with something that isn’t solely based on the passing of his father. I think he has some struggles going on that aren’t public, because there isn’t really any other way to explain his drop in play (not just his shot, but he used to have a pretty elite hockey IQ that seems to have evaporated).

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How JR was able to trade a captain, best goal scorer, top faceoff man in the league etc etc and not get a defensman back on the leagues worst defensive team with the highest goals against us actually asinine.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The part that I still get hung up on is that they treated this like a rental from the beginning and got a rental price in the end...I'm not sure why it had to be that way? JR/PA obviously negotiated with Bo's agent and at some point it became pretty clear that the gap was going to be insurmountable...at that point you begin looking at trading him...but Bo clearly has all the leverage, he can walk to UFA status. At this point wouldn't the most logical thing be to go to Bo's group and say "give us a handful of teams you'd consider signing with and we can try to make a deal to send you to one of them"? Rather than just strictly treating him as a rental you can try and use the teams he's actually interested in to compete against each other to trade and re-sign him. Without knowing all the details behind the scenes this may not have been possible, but if they didn't at least try to get out from rental pricing it seems like value lost.

It had to be that way, because he’s a rental?

His agent said, he’s going to test the market.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I don't mind this actually as a strategy as long as we make clear that players are available.

If you are interested in a player that everyone knows we're open to moving, then make an offer and don't expect us to come around looking to see if you'll match it and add some token piece. Pony up if you want to play. If teams like the Bruins want to go around saying "We would have paid more!", then they should have offered more in the several months it was clear this trade was coming.

I like this as a strategy a lot, actually. If I was a team that was beginning the process of selling off, I would do something like this to set the standard.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think I'm fine with it as a negotiation strategy. Telling a competing team "hey, the Isles are offering Raty, a 1st and Beauvillier" to get them to up their offer is risky. The Isles don't want word leaking to a player that they're being shopped and it sounds like Lou will pull a deal if something like that happens (and might be what happened with Miller). Similarly telling a team "your offer isn't the best" to up it could result in them publicly pulling out and reducing leverage with the current leader (who might drop their offer after hearing the pool of buyers is dwindling).

In Allvin's position I'd probably make the initial ask and see the counter offers before eventually negotiating down to what a team considers its "final offer" based on my ask. Then you circle the wagons and make a decision between the offers on the table. If I decide a team's offer isn't the best but they "would have offered more" - tough. Do better next time.

Reactions: Intangibos

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I feel like there's probably been a few times this year where a team shows initial interest in Boeser based on name/pedigree/points and then watches him play and decides that they aren't interested.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
How JR was able to trade a captain, best goal scorer, top faceoff man in the league etc etc and not get a defensman back on the leagues worst defensive team with the highest goals against us actually asinine.

I think we should ban these posts unless the person includes a feasible and worth while young, good, defenseman return.

Like who is giving this up for a rental? (No one)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

14 is kinda an ugly number. Do not approve.
I just see no/little progression in his game. If he's not putting up points, he's actually less than useless as he's a defensive liability.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think we should ban these posts unless the person includes a feasible and worth while young, good, defenseman return.

Like who is giving this up for a rental? (No one)
typical of most posters. Like those on the NFL board who say, just get a QB... those don't grow on trees.

Carolina has Dmen prospects, but they aren't the type of team over the past several years to rent guys at the TDL. And they've allowed their own UFAs to walk. Doesn't make sense for them to trade for and then sign Bo with Aho due up in a year.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Hoping this could get clarified by one of our media members. Like if NYI finishes with 12th slot but doesnt win the lottery they could very well just give us the pick this year to keep their golden parachute next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad