Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'd love for Benning to make some moves that would allow some balance...I'm pretty much begging for it. lol....please make a trade I don't hate!

I think we would all like for him to make a good trade but it's pretty clear that's not going to happen. If he was going to get the better of a GM it would when he first started and teams hadn't caught on to how bad a negotiator he is. Every team knows they can work this guy for extra picks and Benning will buckle.

Bad News Benning isn't going to turn into Good News Benning any time soon. The only good news attached to Benning will be when he's finally fired. Hopefully he sits on his hands until that point but I fully expect he has another crappy to leave us with before he's canned.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He was right.

yesterday on page 1 of the trade thread, Leafs fans quickly flooded it, and said huge win for Florida. Some fans were confused with a wtf reaction saying, it looked good for Vancouver, then the fllood games came though. hfboards.com if enough people say it, it becomes true.

Panthers fans didn't like it, over at Canucks.com everyone loved the trade.

I loved the trade right away. We obtained a top 4 dman, at the asking rate, oh wait, not even! The asking rate is usually a 1st round pick and a prospect. (Kings trading for that trash defencemen Lukas Sekaras who since bailed on the Kings) We got him, not a 1st round pick, prospect and a 2nd round pick, exact going rate for top 4 dmans, we got one that is 24 years old, a big dman, and shoots right, although I'm not expecting him to shoot the puck like Kevin Bieksa.

I"m not sure what the issue is here. We wanted to get tougher, Canucks fans have been complaining about our defence, complaining about toughness, and wanting to get more tough.

we traded a player, that will never play in our top 6. I didn't even see it, I tried to convince himself oh he will come around. averaged 9 minutes a game. 2 goals in his last 35 games, perimeter player, often ragged dolled around, struggled with constiency, you guys know this flat out, he often through the puck right up the middle when pressured causing turn overs. Sure he does have pretty good IQ.

Ragged dolled centreman who is not even good enough to play in our top 3, that is weak on the puck, in exhange we get a top 4 dman, on a division winning team that lead his team in ice time in the playoffs, and second in regular season, how the hell did we lose this trade, I don't understand. Dallas actually forked out more assets to get someone not even as good and will be a UFA, and even if he does sign , they still payed too much Eric Gudbranson>> Kris Russell. Sorry Kris Russel is not even a top line defender on a crappy Calgary team!

Wow, you've really convinced yourself that everything is just shiny then. McCann is a 19 year old NHLer who will never be good enough to play in our top 6. Gudbranson is tough and that's all we need. Hard to be unhappy when you simplify everything to the nth degree like that.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think stepping back form the "passion" of being a Canucks fan and viewing these transactions as if they're between some other team helps. It's natural for fans to overrate their own prospects. Fans invest time in cheering for guys like McCann and Shinkaruk. I was one who was very upset at the Kassian trade. I still think it was a bad trade but then I was viewing it as giving up a potential top 6 gritty forward for nothing. With a little time and perspective I now believe Kassian will never be a top six forward and will more than likely be waiver fodder before not too long.

And we still got jobbed on that trade....we had to pay an extra 5th round pick in order to get that pile of garbage Prust.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
And we still got jobbed on that trade....we had to pay an extra 5th round pick in order to get that pile of garbage Prust.

As I said, I still think it was a bad trade. One I would put down low on the list of good to bad. But no where near worth my initial reaction which is my point. The Board reaction (including my own on occasion) is way over the top.

Actual value: Board reaction
Excellent (Baertschi): Well, at least he didn't screw up this time but he probably paid too much
Good (Bieksa): He could have gotten a lot more or he paid too much
Average (Larsen): What an idiot, he's wrecking this team
Poor(Kassian): A monkey could do a better job

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
As I said, I still think it was a bad trade. One I would put down low on the list of good to bad. But no where near worth my initial reaction which is my point. This is

Actual value: Board reaction
Excellent (Baertschi): Well, at least he didn't screw up this time but he probably paid too much
Good (Bieksa): He could have gotten a lot more or he paid too much
Average (Larsen): What an idiot, he's wrecking this team
Poor(Kassian): A monkey could do a better job

But there have been MANY more "poor" trades than good or excellent trades...many more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

This is exactly my concern.....why is it in every trade we make we end up coughing up drafts picks?....a fifth rounder for Prust; a fifth rounder for Etem; a second in the Sutter trade; now a second and fourth.....I realize in some people's minds these are throwaway picks, but not when you remember that a guy like Hutton was a fifth-rounder......look at the current Tampa roster and the plethora of later round picks who've panned out...losing so many picks sucks.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

And even if Kassian becomes waiver fodder, Prust will have beaten him there and been a useless POS in the process. Kassian could be out of the league next Fall and we still lose that trade, which is pretty amazing if you think about it actually.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yep, 'òl jake, he liked the 'muckers` as he used to call em. Could never abide the fancy Dans. Somethin' about em just didn't sit right with him. Wouldn't trust a fancy Dan next to him in a foxhole. Might get the willies and shoot your toe off , who knows?
A mucker Jake felt he could trust.

Jimmy is cut from that same cloth. A plain talkin' man that shoots from the hip. Calls a spade a spade. Good fox hole guy.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
But there have been MANY more "poor" trades than good or excellent trades...many more.

And that's an opinion that you're absolutely entitled to have. It's just not shared by all. It's not up to me to judge whether it's informed or not. but these Boards lean very heavily towards everything that Benning does being bad. I have not heard one media Pundit say the Gudbranson trade was bad for the Canucks ( a sample of probably 12). Yet, the overwhelming reaction on these boards was that it was horrible. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark....

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I was against use the assets on Hamilton last offseason, against using them on Barrie and now on Gudbranson. I'm not against Gudby the player as I'm actually happy to have him, it is the timing of the acquisition. The Canucks haven't built up enough picks/prospects to be making moves like this.

I actually think that Gudbranson will be a good compliment to this defense for years to come. He does make the team to play against, not because of scrums, but boards battles, one on ones, in front of the net. They very much needed a defensemen like this, just not at the cost or at least the timing of it.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
And that's an opinion that you're absolutely entitled to have. It's just not shared by all. It's not up to me to judge whether it's informed or not. but these Boards lean very heavily towards everything that Benning does being bad. I have not heard one media Pundit say the Gudbranson trade was bad for the Canucks ( a sample of probably 12). Yet, the overwhelming reaction on these boards was that it was horrible. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark....

I haven't read any that have slammed the deal, but I have read several that were confused by it.

I've got no problem giving credit where credit is due, and Benning did well with the Bieksa trade and the Baertschi deal, but other than that its been pretty bad. I mean there hasn't been one overwhelmingly, franchise crushing deal (yet), but assets have been consistently bled out of this team...at a time when it needs as many assets as it can get. They've been frittered away on nonsensical players who don't/won't have any impact on making this team a stanley cup contender.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I was against use the assets on Hamilton last offseason, against using them on Barrie and now on Gudbranson. I'm not against Gudby the player as I'm actually happy to have him, it is the timing of the acquisition. The Canucks haven't built up enough picks/prospects to be making moves like this.

I actually think that Gudbranson will be a good compliment to this defense for years to come. He does make the team to play against, not because of scrums, but boards battles, one on ones, in front of the net. They very much needed a defensemen like this, just not at the cost or at least the timing of it.

Yes, we will be harder to play against....not any harder to beat, but we will be harder to play against. Silver linings. :laugh:

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna

Very first post that I saw on this trade was on TSN. The title of it reads as follows:

"Panthers take advantage of Canucks in lopsided trade."

And Sportsnet's title:

"Analyzing the Canucks’ questionable move for Erik Gudbranson."

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Eric Gudbranson is a Jim Benning kind of hockey player. Big and mean. Benning is building a team that, while they may get beat most nights, isn't going to be any fun to play against. And Benning is betting that Canuck fans think the way he does.

Nothing connects with the fans like rebuilding towards a team that racks losses but hits. We should offersheet Ferland $5m x 5. Wonder if the flames would take that softie Boeser for him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Very first post that I saw on this trade was on TSN. The title of it reads as follows:

And Sportsnet's title:

link? The sportsnet panel went the exact opposite way.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

And Sportsnet's title:

Yeah. They were questioning Florida's wisdom in moving Gud.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes, we will be harder to play against....not any harder to beat, but we will be harder to play against. Silver linings. :laugh:

Yep. And that's appealing to true blue Canucks fans. Tugboat operators and lumberjacks. You're lookin' for fellas that put on their work clothes every day. Aren't afraid to get their hands dirty in the course of an honest days work.

You know, your typical Vancouverite.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
They NEEDED a RH top 4 D who could move the puck and provide some offensive help. Gudbrandson is not that guy.

Isn't that what we have Hutton for?
We needed a reliable steady stay at home guy to pair up with Hutton. Sbisa, is not that guy.. Hamhuis is getting old and plays the wrong side.. and Tryamkin is a Rookie. We had a massive gaping hole. If Gudbrandson continues to play like he did for Florida and develop and progress as he has so far, he should solidify our top 4.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We needed a reliable steady stay at home guy to pair up with Hutton. Sbisa, is not that guy.. Hamhuis is getting old and plays the wrong side.. and Tryamkin is a Rookie. We had a massive gaping hole. If Gudbrandson continues to play like he did for Florida and develop and progress as he has so far, he should solidify our top 4.

Did you forget that we have Chris Tanev?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yep. And that's appealing to true blue Canucks fans. Tugboat operators and lumberjacks. You're lookin' for fellas that put on their work clothes every day. Aren't afraid to get their hands dirty in the course of an honest days work.

You know, your typical Vancouverite.

:laugh::laugh:

That's probably exactly the image Linden and Benning have for the team. Just some character Alberta guys rebelling against the nerds with their numbers who haven't played in the ****in' show.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I haven't read any that have slammed the deal, but I have read several that were confused by it.

I've got no problem giving credit where credit is due, and Benning did well with the Bieksa trade and the Baertschi deal, but other than that its been pretty bad. I mean there hasn't been one overwhelmingly, franchise crushing deal (yet), but assets have been consistently bled out of this team...at a time when it needs as many assets as it can get. They've been frittered away on nonsensical players who don't/won't have any impact on making this team a stanley cup contender.

I had to avoid this thread early on because of the first few pages of negativity. I like participating in this forum because it does have the latest news on the team and generally the posters are well informed and, when biases can be reigned in, are quite insightful. But I find it hard to wade through pages of unfounded negativity which seems to be why I'm ranting a little here...thanks for listening..lol

I hear you on the bleeding of assets but how many of those can be viewed as impactful. Clendenning for Forsling, for example, wasn't good in hindsight but, realistically, will Forsling ever see the NHL. I highly doubt it. So there was a strong negative reaction for something that in the end is likely insignificant. Same as the Larsen trade. Many trashed Benning for it - he acquired a player that very likely will be on the roster next year with a chance to contribute to a sorely needed offensive output by the D for an asset that has less than a 10% chance of ever making the NHL. I guess I just get tired of it.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
link? The sportsnet panel went the exact opposite way.

You really need a link to Sportsnet and TSN?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-canucks-questionable-move-erik-gudbranson/

First paragraph from the article:

"To say it’s been a rough year for the Vancouver Canucks would be an understatement. And although their on-ice season ended more than a month ago, they managed to sneak one more loss into the 2015-2016 campaign with a highly questionable trade Wednesday night."

More of the same on the TSN article. I trust that you will be able to find your way there.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
He was right.

yesterday on page 1 of the trade thread, Leafs fans quickly flooded it, and said huge win for Florida. Some fans were confused with a wtf reaction saying, it looked good for Vancouver, then the fllood games came though. hfboards.com if enough people say it, it becomes true.

Panthers fans didn't like it, over at Canucks.com everyone loved the trade.

Yesterday when some poster showed up on forum.canucks.com saying that all the Florida people hated it, I went on the Panthers site on hfboards and started going through the thread.

The first few were against the trade. It then turned around and was running in favour of the trade from the Florida perspective.

I stopped looking before having gone through too many pages, thinking it wasn't universally against like someone was saying. I don't know the final numbers or even if they were close, but in my brief time looking they were actually starting to run in favour of the trade from the Florida perspective.

The majority of Canuck fans on forum.canucks.com in the early going seemed to be in favour, though there were also a substantial number against.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

You need more than one puck mover to create offense. Way too much pressure to expect Hutton to the main point producer on the back end. Last year we couldn't generate offense largely because the lack of puck movers on the back end. Same problem a team like Edmonton deals with.

Gudbranson doesn't solve the biggest issue with this defense. It solves the lack of grit but that grit isn't going to help us generate offense. If you keep trading draft picks and young assets away I don't know how exactly Benning expects to find the offensive defenseman this club needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad