Proposal: Van - Edm

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Value is certainly there for both sides, however Vancouver doesn't need another center and i don't see them moving Edler either! If they wanted another center they would keep edler and go for Frans Neilsen in F/A! Not a bad post though.

We kinda need a 2nd line center who can replace Hank maybe one day.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Isn't edler currently better then Larsson? If that's the case previous recent trades dictate if anything EDM adds and definitely won't get Tanev. IMO if this trade were offered EDM adds a 3rd. Edler is top pair D while RNH is a 2C.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Isn't edler currently better then Larsson? If that's the case previous recent trades dictate if anything EDM adds and definitely won't get Tanev. IMO if this trade were offered EDM adds a 3rd. Edler is top pair D while RNH is a 2C.

Edler had lost a step. Fans can do the hard sell as much as they like. We are not buying it. Canucks are in worse shape then the oilers and with a sillier gm (do you understand tampering rules yet? If not my 6 year nephew will be willing to explain it to you). Nucks can keep edlet and we will keep the nuge

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm not a Nucks fan... as an outside fan I can tell you that's fair value.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013

Elder Larsson would be a fantastic pairing for Edmonton. But yes his value is much higher than larssons is at the moment . Most scouts see Larsson as #3 while Edler can hold down a #1 spot but is more reliable in a #2 spot. Elders contract is also very respectable and even on the cheap side for #2 dmen. RNH is a BC boy and has that playmaking ability our centre depth lacks behind Hank. Out of necessity the deal is fair in a 1 for 1 swap for Van. But this is in Edm best intrest also. Elder for RNH + 3rd 2017 would be a great deal for both sides.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Edler had lost a step. Fans can do the hard sell as much as they like. We are not buying it. Canucks are in worse shape then the oilers and with a sillier gm (do you understand tampering rules yet? If not my 6 year nephew will be willing to explain it to you). Nucks can keep edlet and we will keep the nuge

Chiarelli is def worse. Taylor Hall trade is one of the worst in history.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Yes, absolutely. I take that and run with it. One of Juolevi/Hutton will replace Edler, and the Nuge still can become a good 1C IMO.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Fair deal, probably not the age that Edmonton is looking for but RNH definitely doesn't get you Tanev at this point.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
It would have to be Tanev.
Not giving the Nucks their future #1C for a LHD past his prime.

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
It would have to be Tanev.
Not giving the Nucks their future #1C for a LHD past his prime.

A past his prime Weber got PK Subban :sarcasm:

Not to mention a #1 winger got a #3 dman....

Have you been living under a rock the last couple days :dunno:

Last edited:

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Interesting timing OP. I was having dinner with my father tonight and we were discussing how high the value was for a top 4 dman at the moment. We both agreed that moving Edler would be the best move for Vancouver right now since the return would be quite large. RNH was one of names we discussed to flip him for........but since the Aquamen and Bennington have delusions of making the playoffs it'll never happen :(

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
There would have to be an add there if oil wants Tanev.

I'm personally a big Tanev fan. Before the Hall trade I'd have no problem adding to Nuge for him. Considering we got Larrson, a similar type of defender to Tanev I'd look elsewhere for a more offensive minded D.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Easy pass for Edmonton. Minnesota fans have offered RD Brodin + and we already have LD Klefbom to pair with RD Larsson.

We need another top 4 defenceman that fits the age group of our core group if moving RNH.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I know the Hall trade is lost on many but Larsson is treading upwards, 23yrs old and signed till 2021 at an excellent cap hit. Top 4 RD that's the hardest position to fill in the game.

Larsson will be our Tanev.

A #1/2 22 yr center holds more value to us than a 29yr #2 LD.

Edler would be an excellent add if we weren't facing an expansion draft. We're already protecting Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera with Nurse exempt.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Trades are going to be thin until after the expansion draft. Edler's awesome, but no team will overpay for an asset that can get lost next year.

But I did want to ask: I don't get it why the Oilers need more young players. I want my team to compete asap and I understand that there is a certain rebuilding process that is needed. But in order to build a winning team you need the mentality as much as you need the talent. You can have a team full of great players but if they aren't doing what needs to be done, then they won't always go through smoothly... So why the obsession with getting only young players. Isn't a player like Shattenkirk (despite him not wanting to resign) worth more than a Brodin type? Someone with experience, someone who knows how to play and what it takes to win. I just get the feeling that when you have too many young players, the atmosphere on the team must not be very serious and they relax too much. In other words: Where is the leadership on the Oilers?

And in this case, Edler would be a nice take. He has been mentored by some pretty good players during his career and has achieved quite a bit on the Canucks team.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
1 year of Shattenkirk is absolutely not worth the guaranteed longterm addition of a player like Brodin least not to a team yet to be a legitimate contender.

Trades are becoming harder and harder to make and ufa's cost too much when forced to fill a need. This makes retaining or acquiring longterm cost controlled players the premium asset in today's NHL.

Players are assets. Time is an asset. Smart asset management is maximizing assets for as long as is humanly possible.

The NHL has becoming a young man's game.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Age doesn't equal leadership quality. The last person you should want mentoring your team is a player with 1 foot out the door who doesn't want to be there.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
We need someone who's more of a natural PP QB. It's a no. Not interested in Tanev, either. Would've been before Larsson, but we don't need another defensive Dman; we need a PP QB type. It has little to do with value, and a lot to do with needs. However, when it doesn't address a need, the value is irrelevant anyway, as logic goes.

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Easy pass for Edmonton. Minnesota fans have offered RD Brodin + and we already have LD Klefbom to pair with RD Larsson.

We need another top 4 defenceman that fits the age group of our core group if moving RNH.

Than how come the deal hasn't been made yet? Oh ya cause fans don't run teams. Trust me , if we had it our way we would nuke the Canuck ownership, management, and scouting staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad