Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd - Pt. 2

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He was 24 three months ago, where do you find that available for trade at any time as a RHD? I’ve stated this in other places but Romanov just went for 13th overall at the draft last year, he’s not even a RHD.

This draft is not heavy in what we need and we still might end up with Reinbacher with our pick, the asset we just got is 19th overall in Dmen scoring and 10th among all RHD. These guys are not available ever and even if you pick the best Dman in the draft (Juolevi) it’s not a guarantee.

"This draft is not heavy in what we need..." In what we need for what? That's the point. You don't draft a need. You draft a lot of quality players then if you need to move them or your future picks for players when you are ready you do so.

If you have a lot of top prospects and picks you can do this. If you trade them for guys then you are locked into those guys.

Thus Hronek better have solved a massive hole or the team is f'd and has no prospects coming.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I usually agree with your takes my friend. I fall on the side of WTF. I am very disappointed in this trade.

Wtf is this management group trying to do?
If you ask them they wouldn't know either.

My issue with this trade is largely based around Hronek’s contract status. We get 1 good year at $4.4M and then will be forced to pay fair market value. For a team that is so messed up capwise, I don’t see how this is a sensible move. This is the sort of trade that a team that has been trending up, has a good prospect pool, and well managed salary cap situation, should make.
Exactly. You don't build a winning team paying everyone market value. You need players playing above their pay grade.

But the "plan" (or whatever Allvin thinks this is) will leave the Canucks with a collection of prime-age players at full value. That won't end in success.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If you ask them they wouldn't know either.

Exactly. You don't build a winning team paying everyone market value. You need players playing above their pay grade.

But the "plan" (or whatever Allvin thinks this is) will leave the Canucks with a collection of prime-age players at full value. That won't end in success.

The only way this makes sense to me is if they were given a mandate to make the playoffs ASAP damn the costs and this is what they came up with.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think I’ve landed on my feelings here.

I think Hronek is a good player. Instantly our second best defender.

I think the cost to acquire him, on the face of things, is probably fair.

Where I am confused - and where I feel this trade really falls down - is the timing and where we are at as a franchise. I think it’s right move…wrong time.
I dont understand the 'wrong time' Mr C...EP,QH are approaching their mid 20's...Hronek is mid 20's..

We all knew that a young RHD was going to cost an arm and a leg, and we're not going anywhere without one.....Now is not the time to be wasting EP and QH's prime years by taking shortcuts ( overpriced veteran UFA Dmen..or waiting 3-4 years for a mystery box D man to develop from this years draft).

So we bit the bullet.

If the' right time' was 3-4 years down the road ,my belief is that our star players would be well checked out by that time.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
We have 1 offensive Dman in Hughes and we don’t need a 2nd guy who also plays the right side? Maybe 25 points being the second closest is good enough. We now have 2 guys that are top 20 in scoring from the backend. The game is about speed and transition and Derrian Hatcher is a thing of the past, I’m sure having a point shot will also add a threat as he leads our blueline in goals as of now.

So Hronek is gonna beat out Hughes for the number 1 PP spot.... The guy that is 4th in Dmen points since he's entered the league.

Who said he was beating out Hughes? We never had a RHS Dman to clap bombs before this, he leads our team in Dmen goals by the way. Maybe we don’t give up Shorthanded goals anymore. Maybe we have 2 legit PP units to roll out.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As a Hockey Futures board the replies are expected as Cody Hodgson was going to be a #1 Center. Juolevi was the next best thing and Shinkaruk was a stud that fell in our laps. Hoglander and Podkolzin are being developed properly right? Sure fire top 6 guys as a 10th overall and early second round pick…. Oh wait!
By this logic we should trade all of our picks for age gap players every year.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It's pretty hilarious how people are already projecting usage/contract status as a means to make this transaction sound terrible.

Who knows what his extension looks like? Someone literally said he was going to demand $8M, and then the next person literally says he's not going to produce because he won't get PP time.... etc.

Nobody knows how is he going to be deployed, and what his extension looks like. It all depends on other various factors.

Here are the undebatable facts:

- He's only 25
- He's an RD (fills a massive gap in our defense)
- He's having a phenomenal year producing like a top pairing defenseman (both counting and advanced stats support this)
- He's very cheap next year at 4.4M and is a RFA the year after

All these made up scenarios in your guys' head is literally just that - it's all made up.

On paper, we paid about the going cost for a defenseman of that calibre. See Romanov, Ekholm, deals.

Let's see how he does next year before we crucify him and JR/Allvin yeah?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
So frustrating to be a fan of this team… literally gives me flashbacks to the Benning era and the OEL trade.

Zero patience and foresight with new management. Still focused with win now moves instead of building for the future. JUST DO NOTHING AND MAKE THE PICKS. Honestly this feels like the last straw for me, mentally checking out with this team. Just too frustrated

The best trade asset moved this deadline was the Isles pick and we moved it… for Hronek. Let that sink in.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Age gap would be Vey or Bearcheese. Not a guy thats 19th overall in Dman scoring and 10th for RHD. He was 24 three months ago and has improved every year
Age gap has nothing to do with performance. My point is that by your logic the team should be trading every pick(since they aren’t guaranteed to be NHL’ers) for nhl players.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
How can anyone not see the value here in the grand scheme of things?

Beau + Hronek + Raty + 4th

Horvat 25% retained and $8.5x8 and a 2nd.

We basically signed Kuzmenko and Hronek while getting younger for Bo’s $8.5

Beauvillier can be flipped and is playing lights out, also makes Boeser and Garland more expendable.

Even Beauvillier + Hronek at $8.55 is equal to Horvat at $8.5 as a second line Center except his career year this year.

Top 6 winger and #3 Dman for a 2nd line Center is a coupe by itself, we also got Raty.

Then you flip Hronek for a similar return as what we paid. He’s going to pad his stats here no doubt.
I said that Hronek is our best PP player. When he played with Maatta he produced like a top 10 defenceman in the league.
I think your team got a very good player which might easily turn into a great one.
Let's see how he mashes with your team, but your PP should be greatly improved.

He is not a defensive wizard, but he is coachable and young and he can/will improve.

Feb 19, 2018
By this logic we should trade all of our picks for age gap players every year.

Hronek today for Hodgson in 2011 would have been a great move, the guy is still young and 7 years younger than Ekholm who just went for the same price. Orlov as a pending UFA just went for almost the same thing, McCabe in Toronto as well.

Crazy Canuck nation.

Age gap has nothing to do with performance. My point is that by your logic the team should be trading every pick(since they aren’t guaranteed to be NHL’ers) for nhl players.

They are building a 25 and under core to compete with Pettersson, Hughes, Demko. I don’t understand. You want to build around Lekkerimaki?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hronek today for Hodgson in 2011 would have been a great move, the guy is still young and 7 years younger than Ekholm who just went for the same price. Orlov as a pending UFA just went for almost the same thing, McCabe in Toronto as well.

Crazy Canuck nation.
Wonder who we can land with our own 2023 first? Maybe Clayton Keller for 2023 1st + 2024 first(conditional)?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
So Hronek is gonna beat out Hughes for the number 1 PP spot.... The guy that is 4th in Dmen points since he's entered the league.

Do you watch the Canucks PP?

Hughes doesn't have a great shot, he's better as a roamer creating havoc with his skating ability.

They can actually deploy Hronek as the lone dman with Hughes roaming all over the ice.

Hronek-Hughes-Miller-Petey-Kuzmenko

Or they can try to actually run a second unit through Hronek, instead of OEL (LOL).

The point is that Hronek gives us more options and more offense. How is this a bad thing?

Feb 19, 2018
Wonder who we can land with our own 2023 first? Maybe Clayton Keller for 2023 1st + 2024 first(conditional)?

Salary Cap comes into play so no not going to happen. Positional need as well. I never thought Hronek was a winger but I’ll double check.

Do you watch the Canucks PP?

Hughes doesn't have a great shot, he's better as a roamer creating havoc with his skating ability.

They can actually deploy Hronek as the lone dman with Hughes roaming all over the ice.

Hronek-Hughes-Miller-Petey-Kuzmenko

Or they can try to actually run a second unit through Hronek, instead of OEL (LOL).

The point is that Hronek gives us more options and more offense. How is this a bad thing?

Agreed! To those who thought Horvat was a 60 point second line Center you just replaced that production with a RHD.

Our biggest need

Reactions: JohnHodgson

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Salary Cap comes into play so no not going to happen. Positional need as well. I never thought Hronek was a winger but I’ll double check.
Alright which dmen/centers should we be looking at for that 2023 1st?

Nick Schmaltz and JJ Moser I think the Yotes would do.

Maybe Sam Reinhart or Sam Bennett?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Alright which dmen/centers should we be looking at for that 2023 1st?

Nick Schmaltz and JJ Moser I think the Yotes would do.

Maybe Sam Reinhart or Sam Bennett?

Obvious sh!t posting but the pick we gave away is top 12 protected.

Our own pick should net us a A level prospect. Not exactly apples to apples here.

Schmaltz isn't even a good center.. neither is Sam Reinhart. LOL if you're trolling you gotta do better than that ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad