Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DAL] Canucks acquire F Jason Dickinson for 2021 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
If Miller plays Centre this year he is our second line Center. Horvat with Pearson and Podkolzin or Dickinson is one of the best third lines in the League. Garland with Miller sounds like the makings of one of the best second lines in the league as well. Lots of options this year.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
One thing that’s obvious is that if Dickinson doesn’t work at center, Horvat is going to go back to being that grunt work guy every night instead of being given more offensive reign.

And, I don’t think he wants to do that for 82 games anymore.

Do players like Horvat really dislike going up against another team's top line every night, taking the important defensive zone draws, and by extension playing a ton of playing a ton of minutes? I mean regardless of what we think of Horvat defensively, he has envisioned himself as a matchup C since juniors.

I can't imagine any competitor who thinks they are one of the best players on the team to prefer playing easy minutes while the tougher minutes goes to a less capable player. I can't imagine Horvat going up against McDavid and thinking "Why am I out here for this defensive zone draw? Send Sutter or Dickinson out here. Tap me on the shoulder when we're back in the offensive zone and their 4th line and 3rd defensive pairing are out there."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Do players like Horvat really dislike going up against another team's top line every night, taking the important defensive zone draws, and by extension playing a ton of playing a ton of minutes? I mean regardless of what we think of Horvat defensively, he has envisioned himself as a matchup C since juniors.

I can't imagine any competitor who thinks they are one of the best players on the team to prefer playing easy minutes while the tougher minutes goes to a less capable player. I can't imagine Horvat going up against McDavid and thinking "Why am I out here for this defensive zone draw? Send Sutter or Dickinson out here. Tap me on the shoulder when we're back in the offensive zone and their 4th line and 3rd defensive pairing are out there."

It's one thing to do that as a #2 C with good wingers plus PP time.

It's quite another to be asked to do that as a #3 C with crap wingers and limited PP time.

If - hypothetically - they moved Miller into the #2 C spot and put Horvat on a Dickinson-Horvat-Pearson 3rd line and then put OEL on the top PP unit to shuffle Horvat to the 2nd unit, that will probably cost Horvat 20 points/season and $15 million dollars on his next contract. I'm pretty sure he cares about that, a lot. And more than that, guys want to produce and perform. Playing a pure checking bottom-6 role is not preferred by anybody.

Reactions: Peen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll add that you can pretty much guarantee that Horvat would be dreaming about having a big start to the season to put himself into a position to sneak onto the 2022 Olympic team (if that happens) as a 4th liner. Scoring at a 35-40 point pace on a 3rd line, there is zero chance that happens. If he's scoring at a 60-65 point pace on a line with Garland and Hoglander, he might have a shot.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's one thing to do that as a #2 C with good wingers plus PP time.

It's quite another to be asked to do that as a #3 C with crap wingers and limited PP time.

If - hypothetically - they moved Miller into the #2 C spot and put Horvat on a Dickinson-Horvat-Pearson 3rd line and then put OEL on the top PP unit to shuffle Horvat to the 2nd unit, that will probably cost Horvat 20 points/season and $15 million dollars on his next contract. I'm pretty sure he cares about that, a lot. And more than that, guys want to produce and perform. Playing a pure checking bottom-6 role is not preferred by anybody.

Yes. But my point is that I don't think Horvat has any issue with his (past) deployment. Obviously he would be unhappy if his linemates are dragging him down.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Of the 20 players heading to arbitration, 9 have signed new deals. 11 still remaining.

Any day now?

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I'll add that you can pretty much guarantee that Horvat would be dreaming about having a big start to the season to put himself into a position to sneak onto the 2022 Olympic team (if that happens) as a 4th liner. Scoring at a 35-40 point pace on a 3rd line, there is zero chance that happens. If he's scoring at a 60-65 point pace on a line with Garland and Hoglander, he might have a shot.

Lines constantly get shuffled during the season and injuries always happen. And teams will focus on shutting down the first two lines meaning Horvat will get easier matchups when starting in the offensive zone.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
We’ve discovered the anti-Wait And See — This Is Exactly What Will Happen And How Every Player Will React, Right Down To Their Emotional State.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
We’ve discovered the anti-Wait And See — This Is Exactly What Will Happen And How Every Player Will React, Right Down To Their Emotional State.

I can't think of a player in their prime who would be happy with being relegated to a role that saw less icetime and opportunities. Typically the only players who are 'okay' with that are veterans who are declining. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Bo might be unhappy if he gets shifted down to the third line. Hell, we had a front row seat for another 'captain' of the Canucks who was moved to a lesser role and that went swimmingly.

I really don't think iMac's purported lineup is realistic and I do think that Sutter/Dickinson are going to be centering the bottom six. I just found it funny that was what he spitballed as the new lineup for next season after having the opportunity to talk to Travis Green.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't think of a player in their prime who would be happy with being relegated to a role that saw less icetime and opportunities. Typically the only players who are 'okay' with that are veterans who are declining. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Bo might be unhappy if he gets shifted down to the third line. Hell, we had a front row seat for another 'captain' of the Canucks who was moved to a lesser role and that went swimmingly.

I really don't think iMac's purported lineup is realistic and I do think that Sutter/Dickinson are going to be centering the bottom six. I just found it funny that was what he spitballed as the new lineup for next season after having the opportunity to talk to Travis Green.

I’ve said from the start that I did not expect Green to be comfortable with a 44% faceoff guy as his #3 C and the fact that IMac is coming out with this Pettersson-Miller-Horvat thing as his 3 Cs with Dickinson on the wing and Horvat continuing to get buried right after talking to Green is not surprising at all.

Reactions: Nucker101

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I’ve said from the start that I did not expect Green to be comfortable with a 44% faceoff guy as his #3 C and the fact that IMac is coming out with this Pettersson-Miller-Horvat thing as his 3 Cs with Dickinson on the wing and Horvat continuing to get buried right after talking to Green is not surprising at all.

two elite 3Cs!

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I'm looking at it two ways.

The first is that I could definitely see management being high on themselves and thinking they've unearthed some heretofore unknown talent that's going to take the world by storm. We've seen numerous failed experiments from them and their attempts at trying to square peg/round hole something -- Sutter as a Sedin linemate is probably the most egregious example and was definitely a result of management dictating things to the coaching staff. So I could 100% see Dickinson as our 3C to start the season.

The second is that I don't think Horvat has ever shaken the perception management has had of him when he first started off, where the desire was to basically mold him into a 3C guy and that was his ceiling. I don't know how much of that was Coach Willie and how much was an overall pervading attitude towards him, but if these attitudes still exist, seeing Horvat get slotted down would be a continuation of that and wouldn't be surprising.

I honestly think, though, that Horvat has established himself and that Benning wouldn't be stupid enough to dictate treating the team captain, face of the franchise and marketable player like that and potentially pissing him off (particularly with the comments he's made publicly) and that it is far more likely that we're getting another one of Jim Benning's Mad Scientist Experiments.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This might end up (IF) it happens as dumb than when Willie put Sutter with the Sedins.

Sutter is also listed as a RW... :naughty:

Pearson - Horvat - Sutter

Won't be shocked at all if Green tries to run 3 scoring lines and saddles Horvat with that pair.

Dickinson can be the 4th C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
We act like Horvat has been abused. His wingers 5 on 5 last year included Hoglander our best 5 on 5 player. Horvat gets a ton of pp and empty net time and cannot penalty kill. He plays against good offensive players who are not necessarily great defensive players. McDavid. Petterson plays against best defensive players when other team have a choice. Lastly we act like the Canucks determine the matchups. The other team has a say as well. Match ups are overrated everyone who plays a lot with okay players will show who they are. Players like Virtanen, Motte and McEwan have excuses because their centers were black holes offensively. Horvat has played with every high scoring winger we have. He is what he is. A good non elite scorer who can tread water 5 on 5 vs elite players. That is valuable.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We act like Horvat has been abused. His wingers 5 on 5 last year included Hoglander our best 5 on 5 player. Horvat gets a ton of pp and empty net time and cannot penalty kill. He plays against good offensive players who are not necessarily great defensive players. McDavid. Petterson plays against best defensive players when other team have a choice. Lastly we act like the Canucks determine the matchups. The other team has a say as well. Match ups are overrated everyone who plays a lot with okay players will show who they are. Players like Virtanen, Motte and McEwan have excuses because their centers were black holes offensively. Horvat has played with every high scoring winger we have. He is what he is. A good non elite scorer who can tread water 5 on 5 vs elite players. That is valuable.
What a complete mess.

Reactions: canuckking1

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

The year before that his primary wingers were Pearson and Eriksson. Before that roussel and Sven. Also if you wanna say Hoglander was our best 5on5 player Pearson was one of our worse is more like a third liner anyways.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Nobody ever thinks about if these guys will simply do what it takes to win. Like why does every player need to be catered to? Some guys are only thinking about what's best for the team and they'll fill the role asked of a coach. I'm sure most of these players want to play in the SC playoffs and don't begin a season with the expectation they don't have a shot at making it.

It's impossible to predict what the line combos are going to be, and who's 3C, 4C, etc. If the team isn't winning it'll change, if they are winning it'll probably stay the same. That's probably the easiest thing to predict because Green always mixes it up if they start losing.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nobody ever thinks about if these guys will simply do what it takes to win. Like why does every player need to be catered to? Some guys are only thinking about what's best for the team and they'll fill the role asked of a coach. I'm sure most of these players want to play in the SC playoffs and don't begin a season with the expectation they don't have a shot at making it.

It's impossible to predict what the line combos are going to be, and who's 3C, 4C, etc. If the team isn't winning it'll change, if they are winning it'll probably stay the same. That's probably the easiest thing to predict because Green always mixes it up if they start losing.

Agreed except Green doesn't mix it up that much.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think it gets done well before the hearing and if it's closer to 2 then 2.5+ I'm happy with it.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed this trade, dam another pick gone, Dickie any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad