Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Nikita Zadorov for 2024 5th round pick and 2026 3rd round pick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I agree trading Myers now would be weird, he’s played really well and clearly loves Vancouver.
But more to the point why would Calgary do this swap, just to save a few actual dollars?
It would cost them in cap and they’re both UFA, so what’s the point?
Kuzmenko for Tanev might make more sense if they were going that route.
But I also think Juulson has played very well, they might be thinking RD depth more than a guy like Tanev … and prioritizing a by top scoring W like Kuz is supposed to be

I really don't think Myers has played that well. Maybe not as bad as it's made out to be at times, and he seems to work alright with Zadorov. But it's still so hard to trust him in a high pressure playoff environment.

As for Juulsen, he's been ass. He's not an NHL caliber player. Getting another reliable Top-4 caliber RHD into the mix should be a huge priority if there's any reasonable cost options out there.

Ditching one their only real skilled Top-6 Wingers for a rental defenceman would be so bad. If anything, the Canucks need more Top-6 wingers that can mesh with Pettersson, not less.

As far as why Calgary would do a Tanev-Myers swap...it'd obviously just be the cap and $$$ component. There would obviously be an additional asset moving. Pick or prospect presumably. Myers just happens to be a convenient way of making a deal like that workable under the cap, while saving the "seller" team money - and giving them an extra flippable deadline asset to play with if they want.

Maybe Myers + a 1st for Tanev.

Outside of Canucks fantasy land reasons why would the Flames swap out Tanev for a worse dman and no futures.

It'd obviously include some sort of futures or other asset to balance the value. :laugh:

Just suggesting, Myers might become a useful way to make the cap work with a Tanev trade. Ie. If the Flames are selling off, Myers cap hit isn't a huge deal for the remainder of the year. It's also a significant savings in actual cash dollars for the owners of a team that is selling off at the deadline. Also likely a really easy "max retention flip" for an additional asset elsewhere, on top of whatever Vancouver sends them. And because of the structure of his deal, it's a dirt cheap retention to get to 50% cap too.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, they should be. The number of bad games outnumber the good. He has too many brainfarts in the defensive zone (losing checks, holding onto the puck too long, failing to make simple passes or passing it directly to the other team).

There's possibly a team out there who will think pending UFA who makes no salary and is a RHD that might give the Canucks something positive to take him. But I don't think that is too likely.

It's hard to see a situation where anyone gives the Canucks anything straight up for Myers. Not without max retention, at which point...that's where it'd make more sense to just keep him. You're gonna be hard pressed to upgrade Myers with $3M cap and whatever 3rd round pick type return he'd get at that point.

Really just makes more sense to me that he's the salary component of some other deal for an actual Top-4 RHD upgrade. At which point he's got bonus value as someone that team can flip for extra value in the trade. But it's hard to work a scenario where the Canucks can come out ahead while doing the retention themselves, to actually deal him for "value".

Bond

May 10, 2012
It'd obviously include some sort of futures or other asset to balance the value. :laugh:

Just suggesting, Myers might become a useful way to make the cap work with a Tanev trade. Ie. If the Flames are selling off, Myers cap hit isn't a huge deal for the remainder of the year. It's also a significant savings in actual cash dollars for the owners of a team that is selling off at the deadline. Also likely a really easy "max retention flip" for an additional asset elsewhere, on top of whatever Vancouver sends them. And because of the structure of his deal, it's a dirt cheap retention to get to 50% cap too.
lol okay that I agree with. Taking Myers on for the rest of the season would be fine if there is other value.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Regardless of anything, this was a solid trade by Vancouver.
The only thing they could do to sewer this whole thing is to give Zadorov 5+ years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad