Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Say what you want about the trade, the Canucks don't win that series without Lindholm, which is why we traded for him, Kuz would have been benched the entire series.

The Kuz/Lindholm comparisons are dumb. Lindholm brings so much more. He went 15/20 in the faceoff circle in the April 28 game. Kuz is not getting 60% d-zone starts or dominating takeaway/give away ratios.

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The Kuz/Lindholm comparisons are dumb. Lindholm brings so much more. He went 15/20 in the faceoff circle in game during the April 28 game. Kuz is not getting 60% d-zone starts or dominating takeaway/give away ratios.

Exactly, which is why this trade worked out for both teams.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Kuz/Lindholm comparisons are dumb. Lindholm brings so much more. He went 15/20 in the faceoff circle in game during the April 28 game. Kuz is not getting 60% d-zone starts or dominating takeaway/give away ratios.
I thought I was completely alone among Flames fans on this. I'm not saying Lindholm is Backlund defensively, because he's not. But he is a pretty good defensive player, an elite faceoff man, an elite PKer and has no real weaknesses.

Kuzmenko scores. He's good at it. He is also the worst defensive player I've seen with the Flames since James Neal. If he isn't scoring 30+ goals you can't have him on the roster because he's going to cost you that many.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Personally, I prefer when my matchup centermen doesn't get caved in at five on five, so in that sense Lindholm still has a ways to go..

Lindholm for as good as he has been in previous years has been lackluster at best this season, and I don't think that's changed in the PO's. Although, those things will go overlooked by fans due to his big OT moment (and fair enough, that was a huge goal). I have nothing against the guy, but something still seems off to me after seeing what he can do when at his best over the past 5 years.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Personally, I prefer when my matchup centermen doesn't get caved in at five on five, so in that sense Lindholm still has a ways to go..

Lindholm for as good as he has been in previous years has been lackluster at best this season, and I don't think that's changed in the PO's. Although, those things will go overlooked by fans due to his big OT moment (and fair enough, that was a huge goal). I have nothing against the guy, but something still seems off to me after seeing what he can do when at his best over the past 5 years.

Playing on our third line he has been a beast, not only scoring goals but tons of chances and money in our zone, completely worth the price paid.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I thought I was completely alone among Flames fans on this. I'm not saying Lindholm is Backlund defensively, because he's not. But he is a pretty good defensive player, an elite faceoff man, an elite PKer and has no real weaknesses.

Kuzmenko scores. He's good at it. He is also the worst defensive player I've seen with the Flames since James Neal. If he isn't scoring 30+ goals you can't have him on the roster because he's going to cost you that many.
Kuzmenko's defensive numbers to bear that assertion out.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Really bad trade for the Nucks.

Lindholm has been good since returning from some missed games, and was a good target to upgrade the 3C position, but that's not the price they paid nor the intended position he'd fill.

Nucks were weak at the wing before the trade, and now that hole is massive. It also doesn't help the C depth, cause now Pettersson is completely useless without his play driver.

This team was bottom 10 in scoring before Kuz, and went right back to that the day he was traded.

Zadorov, Suter, Blueger, Lafferty, Cole, Hronek etc. The list goes on for moves made to address the overall D and PK. Why the FFFF would you trade away one of your top offensive catalysts and leading goal scorer from the previous year!?

We now have half a dozen wingers, that are combined for ZERO goals in the last 20-30 games.

They traded away the exact skillset they are now missing, in the name of '2 way play'.

Toch should have been strong armed into giving Kuz more rope, or at least a move needed to be made to address the winger void after.
Because he wasn't one of our top offensive catalyst or leading goal scorers THIS year? 8 goals in 43 games, yeah real dangerous. He wasn't scoring (much) and was our worst defensive forward. He was obvious obvious trade bait even if someone other than Lindholm had been the target.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Playing on our third line he has been a beast, not only scoring goals but tons of chances and money in our zone, completely worth the price paid.
To be fair that line is not really the Canuck's third line. Lindholm's line is more important 5 on 5 than Petey's line; Petey is getting his minutes by taking shifts with other linemates and getting a lion's share of special teams. Hoglander is averaging 9:30 TOI/G, Garland is at 14:38 TOI/G, both guys see mostly 5 on 5 ice.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Because he wasn't one of our top offensive catalyst or leading goal scorers THIS year? 8 goals in 43 games, yeah real dangerous. He wasn't scoring (much) and was our worst defensive forward. He was obvious obvious trade bait even if someone other than Lindholm had been the target.

Kuzmenko has some elite level dangles and offensive moves, but he's far from a complete player. If he's not scoring he's not doing much. In order to get anything for him, the Canucks would have had to hang onto him, highlight him (potentially disrupting the chemistry), and then wait until he has a body of good work.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

This is precisely what we found out this season, and why we traded him. Kuzmenko seems like a great guy who flourishes in a loose environment where he can basically ignore everything else but trying to score. At the time of the trade, the Flames were done. So they could afford to let him cheat offense just like we did the year prior.

It's when you ask him to do literally anything else he completely falls apart. He didn't work with the way Tocchet wants the team to play whereas Lindholm does. The difference is goals are "sexy" while faceoffs, PK and defensive play aren't. So a lot of that goes unnoticed.

I don't think it was an amazing trade for us by any means. Although, Lindholm has looked noticeably better in the playoffs. It's a fair deal that both sides are more or less content with.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Which is why he is perfect for the Flames. Gives us something to watch but doesn't really tilt the ice. Hopefully they get a pick for him next deadline.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Which is why he is perfect for the Flames. Gives us something to watch but doesn't really tilt the ice. Hopefully they get a pick for him next deadline.
Agreed. Just don't be dumb and sign him. He does help the PP. The real return in this trade is Brzustewicz and the 1st. We might get a 3rd for Kuzmenko at the TDL.

We really need our area guys to find someone in the next couple of drafts. This is an organizational strength. We've found a lot of guys late.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Agreed. Just don't be dumb and sign him. He does help the PP. The real return in this trade is Brzustewicz and the 1st. We might get a 3rd for Kuzmenko at the TDL.

We really need our area guys to find someone in the next couple of drafts. This is an organizational strength. We've found a lot of guys late.
Yeah, I hope Conroy sticks to his word that he is only looking at shorter term deals for vets at prices that work. If he locks up Kuzmenko long term then I'd be disgruntled lol

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Lindholm is soooo good! He honestly reminds me of Patrice Bergeron. Always on the right spot, elite defensively and very high IQ. Nothing flashy.

I dont know if the Canucks can afford him, but id love to re-sign him long term.

His game is built for a 7 game series.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lindholm is soooo good! He honestly reminds me of Patrice Bergeron. Always on the right spot, elite defensively and very high IQ. Nothing flashy.

I dont know if the Canucks can afford him, but id love to re-sign him long term.

His game is built for a 7 game series.
Lindholm is solid everywhere, but he's not elite defensively. He's elite at faceoffs and on the PK. Just good defensively.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This series against the Oilers is why we brought Lindholm in. He played real well against Nashville. We need him to be effective on the PK, win defensive zone draws, and help slow down the Oilers offense. If he can provide those three things, our chances of getting to the WCF improve dramatically. Any offense is a bonus.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
People eating major ****ing crow on this trade. Great trade for both teams.

He's been excellent these playoffs. A definite worthy trade for Vancouver. This is exactly why teams make these types of deals. Hopeful the player can make an impact come playoffs and help the team. He's done exactly that. He's been a major impact player so far.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Spoiler: the better the Nucks do against the Oilers, the happier Flames fans are.

Trade is 100% win-win for both teams/fanbases.
Flames fans get an upgraded pick (albeit not by a lot) if the Canucks make the 3rd round as well.

Full incentive for the Flames to cheer for the Canucks this series.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He is exactly what the Canucks needed to have 3 lines. And to fill in the void left by Horvat in the faceoff dot. Sometimes you got to let a trade breathe, win win trade in a big way.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He is exactly what the Canucks needed to have 3 lines. And to fill in the void left by Horvat in the faceoff dot. Sometimes you got to let a trade breathe, win win trade in a big way.
I’d give up our first next year for someone to take Mikheyev so that we have the money to sign Zadorov, Lindholm, Hronek and Joshua. This is a really well built team.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
I’d give up our first next year for someone to take Mikheyev so that we have the money to sign Zadorov, Lindholm, Hronek and Joshua. This is a really well built team.
I'd take a 1st and a B prospect from the Flames side lol

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd do that. I actually like Mikhayev and we should have plenty of cap room the next 4ish seasons. This is how I'd like Conroy to utilize our cap space rather than going into the UFA market. That Zadorov trade was horrific for us. I don't care how the Calgary media tries to spin it. We should have gotten a 2nd and a sweetner minimum.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'd do that. I actually like Mikhayev and we should have plenty of cap room the next 4ish seasons. This is how I'd like Conroy to utilize our cap space rather than going into the UFA market. That Zadorov trade was horrific for us. I don't care how the Calgary media tries to spin it. We should have gotten a 2nd and a sweetner minimum.
Z seems like he really wanted to stay in Van, his favorite team growing up, and turned into a locker room leader on top of providing on ice presence, top 4 level D and clutch scoring. Tocchet knows how to utilize his big men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad