Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CBJ] John Tortorella for a 2nd Round Draft Pick

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I can't believe Benning got a 2nd for Torts #faithinbenningrestored #Allisforgiven
:huh:

Anyway...
I'm hoping Benning isn't around for this pick. And hopefully this moron realizes how hard it is to get a 2nd and not so readily deal it. Then again, that Sutter deal...

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
The Torts signing was actually good for us.

+ team's choice of Lasrtkiun, Virtanen, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie or whoever they wanted at #6
+ Demko, 66th
+ highlighted the continued need to continue the process of rebuilding
+ Moved out Luongo contract
+ encouraged veterans to go
+ led to capspace

And to top it all off
+ a free 2nd

From a long term franchise perspective,that inadvertent tank year really was a good thing.

It also led to Kesler wanting out which brought us Jared McCann and Brandon Sutter via Bonino.We also have Markstrom,from the Luongo trade,who could be a key player if he can bring his AHL success to the big leagues.

Watch the league reverse this decision in January and the canucks lose the pick

You can be sure that Brian Burke is working the phones to his buddies in head office to make this happen.

ManoWarrior

Jul 24, 2010
Great. Now Benning owes Columbus. Hansen for a third incoming...

But seriously this rule is ridiculous.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Goofy rule but Columbus knew it and still decided to go ahead so I'll take it. Hope the pick turns into a good player.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's a 2nd because it's during the season. Would be a 3rd if it was in the summer.

You know, it seems like this is a rule that's worked to the Canucks' benefit. The league really ought to get on the ball and apply some sort of retroactive penalty to screw them over.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They choose 16/17/18 so I bet they just defer until 18 since they'll probably be bottom 10 this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They choose 16/17/18 so I bet they just defer until 18 since they'll probably be bottom 10 this year.

I think it's more likely that we make some sort of deal with the Jackets, with their second-rounder going back the other way as part of a bigger trade....if Torts can't turn this listing ship around they could start dealing soon.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think it's more likely that we make some sort of deal with the Jackets, with their second-rounder going back the other way as part of a bigger trade....if Torts can't turn this listing ship around they could start dealing soon.

We should ask for Dubinsky.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
That pick could very well be the 31st overall in a deep draft, no need to trade that. Nice for us to get a bit of a break for once.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
That pick could very well be the 31st overall in a deep draft, no need to trade that. Nice for us to get a bit of a break for once.

The Blue Jackets get to choose between this year, 2017 and 2018. So there is no way they give us this years pick if they do finish last.

realist99

May 3, 2010
When I first heard about this I thought the Canucks had to give up the 2nd rounder to get CBJ to take Tortollini off our hands.:yo:

We get the 2nd? Very nice.

I feel bad for CBJ though. Bad bad coach. Such a fraud....but gotta give him credit for being able to fool people into hiring him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I feel bad for CBJ though. Bad bad coach. Such a fraud....but gotta give him credit for being able to fool people into hiring him.

I don't think Torts is a bad coach. His system just isn't "up tempo" enough for today's NHL. CBJ's forward groups looks suitable for Torts though. Not so much its defense.

realist99

May 3, 2010
I don't think Torts is a bad coach. His system just isn't "up tempo" enough for today's NHL. CBJ's forward groups looks suitable for Torts though. Not so much its defense.

His idea of coaching is to play the top 8-10 players and ride them till they drop. :shakehead

I did enjoy watching the Sedins collapse to the front of their own net and block shots.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His idea of coaching is to play the top 8-10 players and ride them till they drop. :shakehead

I did enjoy watching the Sedins collapse to the front of their own net and block shots.

It did lead to a good PK and the Sedins are now not afraid to go down and try to block a shot. :laugh:

He does have a system and there is methodology behind it. The problem with Torts' system is that it requires players to skate really hard and grind out goals. The players who usually excel under his system are grinders and that usually led to him overplaying his bottom line guys, which usually led to a low scoring team, which usually led to losses unless you have a great goaltender and an ability to win one goal games.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
This feels like walking down the street and finding a free $20 bill.

Thanks Columbus!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Torts here was a bad for our players, it didn't fit his system and style of play.

Hopefully he has better success in Columbus. Who knew Gillis first coaching hire would get him fired :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This feels like walking down the street and finding a free $20 bill.

Thanks Columbus!

If the Jackets are picking up the last two years of Torts contract as reported, for the Aquaman it's like finding a $4-5 million dollar bill on the streets....Jackets have the option of handing over their second-rounder to the 'Nucks in '16 '17 or '18, so Torts might be fired by the time they actually have to pony up...too funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad