Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh for Kellan Tochkin and 4th

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
this is an easy one to blast gillis for but he also picked up stanton off waivers so I call it a wash. And there is still the possibility Dalpe clears are really helps in Utica which at this moment might be worth the 4th

It is better than a wash Stanton looks to be a good player, so we got a good player and possibly two players in Utica for a 4th round pick. Probably could trade Stanton for more than that quite quickly.

They took a chance on Dalpe knowing this downside. The risk was apparent. This is progress for Gillis to recognize an issue and deal with it. Unlike the Ballard trade where he hoped for the best and compounded his error again and again. Trading Ballard for anything half way through his first season here would have been the prudent move. Trading Schneider 2 years ago in the off season likely would have been the prudent move. Patience is a strong point of Gillis but there are situations where it has backfired. Why play around with Dalpe all year if there is not a spot for him. Gillis thought he was better than he is and is making the right decision quickly rather than worrying about possibly maximizing this one small trade. Good Move, if he clears and goes to Utica it is still okay value for a 4th round pick.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well, almost two hours past the deadline and no info regarding him being on waivers. I think opendoor might be right re: conditioning loan.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Why would they be waiving him in the first place? It's not like there's anyone better on the farm to bring up.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If Daple goes on waivers can Carolina troll us and pick him up?

Theoretically? Yes. Practically? Likely no. It's not worth it for them to burn a bridge over a guy who they don't really want on their NHL roster. A lot of GM dealings are 'I scratch your back, you scratch my back'.

In fact, I would argue that a more plausible scenario would be them putting in a claim, waiving him and Canucks using the NHL rules to assign him directly to the AHL as a result.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
The thing people don't understand is that the Dalpe trade was Gillis hedging his risk at the center ice position. We didn't know how Santorelli and Richardson would fit in this well. Dalpe was just another option there. Both Santorelli and Richardson have played well so, really we should be happy. If those two guys weren't producing then Dalpe would have more opportunity. And for icing on the cake Schroeder has looked good since his return. Also don't be surprised if Weber is sent down instead. Torts usually does not carry 7 defencemen and Weber has not impressed in regular season games.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Theoretically? Yes. Practically? Likely no. It's not worth it for them to burn a bridge over a guy who they don't really want on their NHL roster. A lot of GM dealings are 'I scratch your back, you scratch my back'.

In fact, I would argue that a more plausible scenario would be them putting in a claim, waiving him and Canucks using the NHL rules to assign him directly to the AHL as a result.

It costs them money to actually put in a claim, doesn't it? I wonder if the amount of back-scratching would go that deep as to include spending more cash to make it convenient for us to put him in the AHL. Though it'd be great if it did.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It costs them money to actually put in a claim, doesn't it? I wonder if the amount of back-scratching would go that deep as to include spending more cash to make it convenient for us to put him in the AHL. Though it'd be great if it did.

Well, there's the salary cost for the time he spends on their roster. Might be small fee for claiming him too but that would be negligible. Of course, we saved them $1m+ so that's kind of a big deal right there.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I think it's a decent risk to take. Even if Dalpe is claimed by another team, he cannot be sent to the AHL for the rest of this season without the Canucks effectively allowing it first (by not putting in a waiver claim). So the only way the Canucks will permanently lose his rights is if he is claimed and is kept in the in the NHL for the rest of the season.

So even if he gets claimed now, there's a good chance he'd get waived again at some point over the next 5-6 months and the Canucks could then potentially claim him and loan him to the Comets.

I believe that rule only holds for 30 days. After 30 days its regular waiver rules again (at least i think thats the rule).

Really looks like a condition trip since we really don't need a roster spot at the moment (unless we are making another move) and Dalpe doesn't make much so very little reason to waive him to save cap space. On top of the fact we are pretty thin at forward position (namely anyone gets hurt, he's next up... at least until Burrows is back).

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I believe that rule only holds for 30 days. After 30 days its regular waiver rules again (at least i think thats the rule).

The rule itself (13.22 in the CBA) applies for the rest of the season:

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

If that happened, the Canucks would then have 30 days to loan him to the AHL without needing to put him on waivers. That same rule exists for any player that clears waivers. They can be sent up and down as many times as the team wants without waivers, up until their 30th day on the roster or 10th game played since last clearing.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Well, there's the salary cost for the time he spends on their roster. Might be small fee for claiming him too but that would be negligible. Of course, we saved them $1m+ so that's kind of a big deal right there.

True. I didn't know if they were that strapped for cash or not. Looks like it's a moot point now anyway since it looks like he's cleared waivers.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can anyone confirm whether the Canucks will have first priority if say Dalpe was placed on waivers by the Canucks, 10 teams put a claim on him, Dalpe gets picked up by say Florida (first priority until Nov. 1). Florida later puts Dalpe on waivers again. Canucks put in a claim again along with other teams, will the Canucks get first priority? In the previous CBA the Canucks would get first crack at reclaiming Dalpe in this case. But reading the current CBA language it seems priority is only given to the teams who originally placed a claim for Dalpe. No mention of the team that originally put Dalpe on waivers other than the fact that if the original team (here the Canucks) was the ONLY team that put in a claim the second time around they can immediately send Dalpe to the AHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In regards to the acquisition of Dalpe, some posters seem to be trying to excuse this acquisition by saying he's just an insurance policy but I don't think that excuse is necessary.

A lot of teams keep tabs on players they liked in any given draft year and Gillis has suggested that they have wanted Dalpe for a while, which is no surprise since Dalpe was at one time a highly regarded prospect. Gillis likely still does see a potential NHL player in Dalpe and given his patience for some of his own slow developing prospect this should not come as a surprise.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
So Dalpe is going back to the AHL(if he clears) to develop? I mean he didn't get any ice time at all and looked lost in flashes we saw. I'd rather of had that 4th rounder to get Stajan or someone of that ilk at the deadline.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So Dalpe is going back to the AHL(if he clears) to develop? I mean he didn't get any ice time at all and looked lost in flashes we saw. I'd rather of had that 4th rounder to get Stajan or someone of that ilk at the deadline.

From my understanding, he wasn't actually placed on waivers. He is being sent down on a conditioning stint, which doesn't require waivers. If that is in fact the case, then it seems the 4th round pick wasn't squandered as we still have the player.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
From my understanding, he wasn't actually placed on waivers. He is being sent down on a conditioning stint, which doesn't require waivers. If that is in fact the case, then it seems the 4th round pick wasn't squandered as we still have the player.

I still haven't seen any announcement and wondering if he will be in the Comets lineup tonight.

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
Per capgeek, apparently Carolina retained 40% of Welsh's salary:

Folks at @capgeek reporting that Hurricanes picking up 40 per cent of Jeremy Welsh's salary. Cap hit for #Canucks is $510,000.
@Brad Ziemer

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
While I see some people are already saying we wasted a 4th round pick here, I don't agree at all. Dalpe didn't look great by any stretch in the (extremely) limited time he played, but Welsh has actually looked like a reasonable 4th line player. I'd say getting a low-level 4th line NHLer and an AHL guy who can provide NHL relief in small doses (you can flip which is which based on their form at the time) for a 4th round pick and an AHL depth guy is just fine.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Per capgeek, apparently Carolina retained 40% of Welsh's salary:

Folks at @capgeek reporting that Hurricanes picking up 40 per cent of Jeremy Welsh's salary. Cap hit for #Canucks is $510,000.
@Brad Ziemer

I'm not hating this trade as much after seeing Welsh play. He's a decent 4th liner, and he's a good depth option when we have tons of injuries (like right now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad