Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Canucks acquire 2015 3rd (66TH OA), 2016 7th for G Eddie Lack

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The only thing that needs to be questioned is why would anyone buy tickets when they admit they're rebuilding. Once the rebuild is over tickets will cost 150 on avg, people are saving money for the good years.

i will enjoy your response.

Wait, are you claiming that even in the midst of a full on tank job, fans will continue happily lining up to buy tickets to the games simply because management hasn't used the big "R" word?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Wait, are you claiming that even in the midst of a full on tank job, fans will continue happily lining up to buy tickets to the games simply because management hasn't used the big "R" word?

Yea, there is that many casual fans filling the arena.

Thing is we arn't tanking, we're drafting lower on purpose, tanking is purposely screwing the team to bet 1-3

Miller was a rookie mistake for a GM who had seen Eddie lack never before his time here

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
1 year after, i really wish we just stuck with MG. Sure he couldn't make the big trades and is drafting might be iffy (tho this year, it looks like his drafting was turning around, same with the some of the UDFA he signed). But with MG, at least you had hope and you weren't stuck with too many bad contracts. You actually got more good contracts than bad. Right now i can't say any of Bennings contracts have been good (RV was good except its only 2 years and given our roster, we should get whatever asset we can for him at the deadline).
It's incredible. For the record, I still am a Gillis supporter, and recognize bias. I think the big thing that kills me about Benning is that he literally seems to have no reasoning behind his decision making, as he will say one thing, follow through on it in one move, then literally do the exact opposite in the other (Lack vs. Miller and fitting his desired age, meat and potatoes Dorsett and Sbisa, then the Downy soft Vey). At least with Gillis' poor moves, you could see reasons behind them (Ballard: fill another top 4 role prior to Hamhuis' signing, Booth: buy a potential top 6 forward on the cheap by taking on risk).

The only thing that needs to be questioned is why would anyone buy tickets when they admit they're rebuilding. Once the rebuild is over tickets will cost 150 on avg, people are saving money for the good years.

i will enjoy your response.
? The entire arena will be empty next year if they price the tickets around $50 if they are headed to tank town. People don't need to be told a team is falling apart, they can see it with their own eyes.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
? The entire arena will be empty next year if they price the tickets around $50 if they are headed to tank town. People don't need to be told a team is falling apart, they can see it with their own eyes.

They arn't tanking though, theyre stocking prospects and remaining competitive.

What team are u watching half the players that made us successful will be even betetr next year, Edler tanev Corrado Horvat, Kenins

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yea, there is that many casual fans filling the arena.

Thing is we arn't tanking, we're drafting lower on purpose, tanking is purposely screwing the team to bet 1-3

Miller was a rookie mistake for a GM who had seen Eddie lack never before his time here

So these hypothetical fans are casual enough to not know that they're buying tickets to a losing squad, but they're following Benning's press conferences closely enough to close their wallets the second he says the word "rebuild?"

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I thought Benning was a guy known for being an expert on evaluating talent? He never bothered to research what he had before making a major move like signing a 34 year old goalie to a $18 million dollar deal? What was the hurry in signing Miller? What other west coast team was literally waiting to pounce on him?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I thought Benning was a guy known for being an expert on evaluating talent? He never bothered to research what he had before making a major move like signing a 34 year old goalie to a $18 million dollar deal? What was the hurry in signing Miller? What other west coast team was literally waiting to pounce on him?

<-----

this one mistake does not doom our franchise, or even be that big of a deal

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Um... I'm going to say something controversial. But we traded a 27-year old middling potential starter with a history of bad streaks for two picks with arguably the best goaltender not in the NHL coming up to replace him next year?

ngbbs4d0030faa2cc2.jpg

That said, I think both Linden and Benning are complete idiots so I'm all for this rage.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Demko's leaving college early?

Mr. Bad streaks >

Markstrom and Demko baby! The future is bright. :yo:

Right around the time Linden, Benning and Desjardins are kicked out should be right around the time this young nucleus the Canucks are building should start peaking.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
They arn't tanking though, theyre stocking prospects and remaining competitive.

What team are u watching half the players that made us successful will be even betetr next year, Edler tanev Corrado Horvat, Kenins
Did you follow stats this year? Are you aware that the Canucks had an absurd amount of wins in 1 goal games, along with an unlikely win percentage given a very low shared sv% amongst it's goalies (11th overall)? A number likely propped up by Eddie Lack's 12th overall in sv%? Seeing a marked improvement from Edler and Tanev is highly unlikely, however much I enjoy them. That and the team finished 5th overall in shooting percentage at 9.62%, a highly unlikely number, given that would put them ahead of teams including Anaheim, Chicago, and the NYR

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Did you follow stats this year? Are you aware that the Canucks had an absurd amount of wins in 1 goal games, along with an unlikely win percentage given a very low shared sv% amongst it's goalies (11th overall)? A number likely propped up by Eddie Lack's 12th overall in sv%? Seeing a marked improvement from Edler and Tanev is highly unlikely, however much I enjoy them. That and the team finished 5th overall in shooting percentage at 9.62%, a highly unlikely number, given that would put them ahead of teams including Anaheim, Chicago, and the NYR
We definately regress but its calculated and what the badgering on here wants

Whatever if u think markstrom wont win us games and beartschi and virtanen arnt significant upgrades over matthias and higgins then we disagree.

we wont make the playoffs but our path to greatness will begin with a rookie filled top 9 top 4 and crease.

we have that in spades next year.

no eddie was not the goalie to win the up, move on

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It all goes back to signing Miller in the first place. I believe Benning himself said something to this matter when talking about the return on Lack today, that teams in the East don't watch the West as much and may undervalue guys that play here, as seen with Talbot vs Lack. And as seen when he took over the team likely didn't pay any attention to what anyone in the organization said about Lack and signed Miller to that horrible contract.

Back to the point, Lack wants to be a starter and has UFA rights next season. The way the new management and coaching treated him last season: remember he was on pace for 19 starts in a pure backup role before Miller got injured, and in the playoffs they rushed Miller back in and stuck with him the moment Lack faltered... why the hell would would Lack resign here? Regardless of how Lack plays they would still start Miller first believing he has this mystical 'veteran presence'. Lack would just be a backup again which doesn't help his negotiating stance as a UFA.

Exactly. If they traded Markstrom this summer they would be left with just Miller next Sept. And, yes, this is because of the contract length Miller signed for and by the way they have granted him starter status despite performance.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
People are upset because we just traded away the better asset than what we kept for scraps. Tank or not, that is absolutely awful asset management, particularly when you inherited the initial, better asset. That and he managed to negotiate against himself by setting an initial lower target for a trade. Literally zero people I know thought Lack would go for less than a 2nd, and I live in Calgary, where they crap on every Canuck asset.

Yeah that's because Calgary got a 2nd for Reto Berra, of course they thought you'd get more for Lack. It's crazy Benning didn't get more.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah that's because Calgary got a 2nd for Reto Berra, of course they thought you'd get more for Lack. It's crazy Benning didn't get more.

If you look at it from the perspective of what Benning has paid Eddie Lack's value can be found somewhere between Linden Vey and Derek Dorsett...

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Just figured it out.

miller and markstrom completely suck like just die out there canucks select with the 1st overall austin matthews

then gmjb buys out miller, ,redeming his reputation on here

resigns eddie.

it was all planned.

eddie lack and the canucks go on to be 2017 stanely cup champions

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

That was a completely false narrative drummed up to help Vancouver fans get hyped about hiring Benning.

Benning is no better at evaluating talent than he is at asset management, contract negotiations, trades and cap management.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Um... I'm going to say something controversial. But we traded a 27-year old middling potential starter with a history of bad streaks for two picks with arguably the best goaltender not in the NHL coming up to replace him next year?

ngbbs4d0030faa2cc2.jpg

That said, I think both Linden and Benning are complete idiots so I'm all for this rage.

i was about to post that, but in words

im still with jimbo. you'll aaaalll see :naughty:

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
We definately regress but its calculated and what the badgering on here wants

Whatever if u think markstrom wont win us games and beartschi and virtanen arnt significant upgrades over matthias and higgins then we disagree.

we wont make the playoffs but our path to greatness will begin with a rookie filled top 9 top 4 and crease.

we have that in spades next year.

no eddie was not the goalie to win the up, move on

this is the weird bit...

as long as jimbo doesnt do anything stupid in free agency (i dont see how) we're going to trend the way we should for a year or two and turn it around just like the flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad