Value of: Value of these recent french-canadians late first round pick to Montreal?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Lapierre for Toffoli?
Nope. Tofolli’s value isn’t close to this.

Let’s review;
Toffoli isn’t a rental.
The Caps couldn’t retain him without losing someone either younger or better.
Toffoli’s position is not a position of dire need for the Caps.
Toffoli’s numbers are being massive propped by being relied on as a primary offensive threat in Mtl, a role he wouldn’t have in Wsh.
The Caps aren’t likely to pay Grade A futures to upgrade THIS Deadline.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Zachary Bolduc (Saint-Louis Blues)
Zachary L'Heureux (Nashville Predators)
Jakob Pelletier (Calgary Flames)
Samuel Poulin (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Hendrix Lapierre (Wahingston Capitals)
Xavier Bourgault (Edmonton Oilers)

Wondering if those players are available at all on the market for Montreal and if so, what would be the ask.

I'm not trying to low-ball these teams since I know they are all highly valuable assets.

Would be open to move some recent mid-late first as well (Poehling, Caufield) as well as retain on players like Petry, Gallagher, Price even if it's not likely to happens. But the deal would preferably be vets for youth, since Montreal are trending towards a rebuild. Semi-vets could be available too (Toffoli, Dvorak, Lekhonen, Hoffman, Drouin, Allen) and can be packaged. Retention on these players is another option.

Only untouchable I guess would be Suzuki on the team and the 1st 2022 or 2023 unprotected, unless the player listed above are part of a package. I know these are probably the assets that interest other teams the most (maybe the only one actually), but I think it's fair to say that they have more value 1 vs 1 than the 6 player mentioned.

Trying to get an idea on how teams value those skaters. I welcome offer for other NON-FRENCH CANADIANS prospect as well (late first/early second or decent project preferably), just feel the new direction might want to add some local talent to its prospect pool.

Good luck getting either one of those guys. I would think the least valued one would be Poulin, so that's one you could go for. The rest are either playing out of their mind or are fairly recent picks.

Montreal should just draft their own if they're obsessed with bringing in talent from home locations.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I've got news for you. Every GM has non-hockey-related biases that affect who they draft/acquire.

Does Montreal place a higher importance than every other team on local talent? Yes
Is it more important to Montreal fans to have local talent than the rest of the league? Yes
Does every other team also occasionally make decisions based on local player biases? Yes.
Does Montreal make decisions solely based on local talent completely ignoring scouting? No.

I never argued about any GM's not having biases. We all do as humans. The great ones tend to recognize their biases and challenge them instead of feeding into them and saying "oh well, just the way I am".

It seems we differ in opinions/strategy for a rebuild here.

I'd probably be closer to indifferent or even towards the side of collecting a local boy or two if they had a competitive roster. Completely against it for a complete rebuild.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Except, "best player available" is far from an exact science. With any selection there is a large margin of error, and within that space it pays off to pick players with some kind of x-factor, and that can be a range of things from their personality type, reputation, and yes, where they are from.

It's not just the Habs either. As an Oiler fan, I see a lot of players picked because they are from the area.

Also, in this thread no one is talking about the top of the draft. We are talking later picks with a lot of uncertainty around them.

I dont know if French canadian players have any sort of record of hitting their potential. I bet it's worth noting. For some locals it might be a detriment but I would bet that it is often a very positive element that gives a player an extra push. It also makes them feel a little bit more comfortable and closer to home. Its definitely worth giving consideration to because these are humans and not their stats.

As an Oiler fan as well, I know too.

If anything, we are probably the most recent reminder at how stupid of an idea that is.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Why is it always so accepted that's its OK for Montreal to want certain players and management based on race/culture? Seems very backwards in todays world.
I would say it goes way beyond just hockey.
That being said, i dont think we have to get every french player in the league, but the Habs need to put more focus on their own back yards. You can't let the gems pass you by; you need to be the most well informed. Hometown boys may have more value to fans, but they may actually be more motivated to play in the jersey they grew up in.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Zachary Bolduc (Saint-Louis Blues)
Zachary L'Heureux (Nashville Predators)
Jakob Pelletier (Calgary Flames)
Samuel Poulin (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Hendrix Lapierre (Wahingston Capitals)
Xavier Bourgault (Edmonton Oilers)

Wondering if those players are available at all on the market for Montreal and if so, what would be the ask.

I'm not trying to low-ball these teams since I know they are all highly valuable assets.

Would be open to move some recent mid-late first as well (Poehling, Caufield) as well as retain on players like Petry, Gallagher, Price even if it's not likely to happens. But the deal would preferably be vets for youth, since Montreal are trending towards a rebuild. Semi-vets could be available too (Toffoli, Dvorak, Lekhonen, Hoffman, Drouin, Allen) and can be packaged. Retention on these players is another option.

Only untouchable I guess would be Suzuki on the team and the 1st 2022 or 2023 unprotected, unless the player listed above are part of a package. I know these are probably the assets that interest other teams the most (maybe the only one actually), but I think it's fair to say that they have more value 1 vs 1 than the 6 player mentioned.

Trying to get an idea on how teams value those skaters. I welcome offer for other NON-FRENCH CANADIANS prospect as well (late first/early second or decent project preferably), just feel the new direction might want to add some local talent to its prospect pool.
Romanov for Lapierre?

Caufield for Bourgault?

Guhle for Pelletier?

if you’re looking for trades that make sense for both sides in terms of value, contract status and age, these could work both ways.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad