Value of: Value of Joel Hofer for those teams struggling to keep goals out

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Well I typoed so my post probably didn’t make sense. Edmonton can’t/won’t be able to reasonably offer anything to make it worthwhile.

So while 4 first round picks would obviously be enough, that’s not even remotely in the realm of plausibility.
I strongly disagree. Campbell has more negative value to the oilers than he would to the blues. The blues aren’t winning a cup next year. The oilers could. So yes they’d pay as much as it would take to dump his contract and Binnington for Campbell+ whatever it takes as a base makes way to much sense.

(Fan of neither team.)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I strongly disagree. Campbell has more negative value to the oilers than he would to the blues. The blues aren’t winning a cup next year. The oilers could. So yes they’d pay as much as it would take to dump his contract and Binnington for Campbell+ whatever it takes as a base makes way to much sense.

(Fan of neither team.)
I highly doubt the Oilers would even pay a first to dump him.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Blues are much better off keeping the same tandem next year, and then evaluating where Hofer and Zherenko are at after the season.

If Hofer is ready to become the starter, and Zherenko has a great season being the full time starter in Springfield, then I believe you’ll see Binnington moved next summer. If not, you’ll see this tandem for another 2 seasons.

Reactions: Blueston

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Blues are much better off keeping the same tandem next year, and then evaluating where Hofer and Zherenko are at after the season.

If Hofer is ready to become the starter, and Zherenko has a great season being the full time starter in Springfield, then I believe you’ll see Binnington moved next summer. If not, you’ll see this tandem for another 2 seasons.
Binnington is going to be the franchise all time winningest netminder in October and is authentically the best Blues goalie in franchise history*. They should not move him, and after he becomes the all time leader they are less likely to do so

* not really counting Hall/Plante since they were very deep into their careers when they became Blues, like Grant Fuhr and Martin Brodeur

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Binnington is going to be the franchise all time winningest netminder in October and is authentically the best Blues goalie in franchise history*. They should not move him, and after he becomes the all time leader they are less likely to do so

* not really counting Hall/Plante since they were very deep into their careers when they became Blues, like Grant Fuhr and Martin Brodeur

Okay and Brett Hull and Chris Pronger didn’t finish their careers with the Blues, so that doesn’t really hold any weight with me. Hofer is the Blues starter of the future. I doubt Binnington (who turns 31 this summer) finishes his contract in St. Louis, especially if Zherenko keeps progressing like the team thinks he will.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Okay and Brett Hull and Chris Pronger didn’t finish their careers with the Blues, so that doesn’t really hold any weight with me. Hofer is the Blues starter of the future. I doubt Binnington (who turns 31 this summer) finishes his contract in St. Louis, especially if Zherenko keeps progressing like the team thinks he will.
31 isn't super old for a goalie. If there is a logjam due to talent strongly rising (an 'if,' as you noted), then I don't know if it's fair to assume they will jettison one of the most competitive leaders on the roster.

[The comparison to Hull and Pronger is bad. We are discussing the likelihood of them trading Binnington during his contract, and nobody traded them during their contracts, that is a different order of business than not re-signing someone. Also as you well know, the Pronger situation was an extreme one, with a vindictive owner stripping bare the roster being the only reason he was moved for basically nothing.]

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
31 isn't super old for a goalie. If there is a logjam due to talent strongly rising (an 'if,' as you noted), then I don't know if it's fair to assume they will jettison one of the most competitive leaders on the roster.

[The comparison to Hull and Pronger is bad. We are discussing the likelihood of them trading Binnington during his contract, and nobody traded them during their contracts, that is a different order of business than not re-signing someone. Also as you well know, the Pronger situation was an extreme one, with a vindictive owner stripping bare the roster being the only reason he was moved for basically nothing.]

Oh I’m not saying he’s old just yet. More so the fact that by the time we’re actually competitive again, he’ll be 33-34, and Hofer should be beyond ready to be the starter by that point. It all really depends on the younger goalies play like I said. You and I both know they are hard to project, but I could see Army looking to have a very cheap tandem in net if given the chance. Building out the roster a bit more if they develop like we think they will seems like a smart move if we get stuck with some of these bad contracts.

I do agree that Hull/Pronger aren’t exactly the greatest comparisons from a contractual standpoint, but more so the fact that they are 2 of the best players of all time, and we still got rid of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad