Speculation: VALUE OF Curtis Glencross

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
He's a leader and trading him wouldn't be my 1st choice but some teams would pay a lot. If OTT doesn't get Stewart we could get Boroweicki and a pick or St Louis could want another big FWD. Maybe Polak, prospect, 2nd or Polak (signed for 4 years), Sobotka, 2nd. He xould get us a lot and if a offer comes through what could it be? How much would you let him go for?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
With only a year left on his contract after this season, he's not as valuable as he once was. Especially since he'll be commanding somewhere around 4M a season, unless he takes another significant hometown discount because he wants to remain in Calgary.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I think the deals you came up with for the Blues are fair but I wouldn't take them, because it results in us getting a lot of small pieces back in exchange for Glencross. Flames win your Ottawa trade though, I would be willing to do Glencross for Borowiecki straight up, adding the pick in just makes it better. However, at the same time, although that would be a good trade for the Flames, I don't think we need another second pairing D prospect in the pool, so I wouldn't take that one either.

If he's going anywhere, I'd send him to the Oilers for their 2014 second round pick.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I think the deals you came up with for the Blues are fair but I wouldn't take them, because it results in us getting a lot of small pieces back in exchange for Glencross. Flames win your Ottawa trade though, I would be willing to do Glencross for Borowiecki straight up, adding the pick in just makes it better. However, at the same time, although that would be a good trade for the Flames, I don't think we need another second pairing D prospect in the pool, so I wouldn't take that one either.

If he's going anywhere, I'd send him to the Oilers for their 2014 second round pick.

Would want more. Instead, why not see if they bite on a 2015 first?

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010

Oilers don't have a 2nd. Traded it to st Lou for Perron.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The best value the Flames could get for Glencross would be to keep him. This season has been a disaster for him. In the spirit of buy low, sell high, now would be the worst time to deal him.

Best case scenario, he finishes the season strong, comes to camp healthy, and goes back to being the Glencross that we watched from 09 to 13.

JulianHopper*

It's tough that Curtis Glencross has been hurt this year a lot but he's still a top 6 forward. If you were to trade him you would have to get back a current prospect or high draft picks.

As enigmatic as Glencross can be at times he really is a top 6 player. You can really see that on a re-building team like the Flames are this year.

He's missed 39 games though so far this season and hopefully he can get and stay healthy. That's a bit of a concern and could effect his trade value even after he returns.

It's still a good contract at $2.5M for the Flames with one year remaining and he'll be a UFA after next season. So all that comes into play as well. If he stays healthy next season he could be re-signed or traded at the deadline. Will be interesting to see how the new GM will deal with this situation.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
The best value the Flames could get for Glencross would be to keep him. This season has been a disaster for him. In the spirit of buy low, sell high, now would be the worst time to deal him.

Best case scenario, he finishes the season strong, comes to camp healthy, and goes back to being the Glencross that we watched from 09 to 13.

Didn't really even consider this but yeah, you're completely right.

Aug 3, 2010
It's tough that Curtis Glencross has been hurt this year a lot but he's still a top 6 forward. If you were to trade him you would have to get back a current prospect or high draft picks.
As enigmatic as Glencross can be at times he really is a top 6 player. You can really see that on a re-building team like the Flames are this year.

In my opinion, Glecross is honestly a third-line winger. While he can slot into the second line without missing a step on most teams, he should be regarded as an elite third-line talent for what he brings to the table.

Calgary was forced to use him as a reliable top-6 winger but I don't really feel like he's been the same player since being promoted to those lines. It gets him away from his game; inconsistency is already somewhat of an issue and when the pressure of playing top-line minutes gets to Glencross you can see he tries to play a little too cute with the puck in the offensive zone. He's built for a simple Sutter-style game - grind and forecheck but at times he'd try to be Huselius and dangle 2 defenders and make the no-look drop pass which oftentimes lost the Flames possession in the offensive zone.

Not hating on Glencross but I think he should return a very high 1st at best, I'd expect a 2nd rounder and a 4th coming back or b-level prospect. It's his sweetheart contract that has the most value.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator

Borowiecki is no more than a #5-6 defenceman at best, and he may never win a full-time job. He lacks mobility and offensive upside to be a top-4 defenceman. He's in his 4th pro season, and he still hasn't won a job. The Sens would easily win such a deal.

Glencross could still net a prospect and a 2nd-round pick, given his ability and cap-friendly contract. Even with his injuries this year, some team would pay a premium for him. Chicago, LA, Anaheim, and Pittsburgh come to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad