Speculation: Value Of: Brodie & Backlund's Next Contracts

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Backlund looks the opposite of raw to me this season. He's always in the right area of the ice (as was the case last season as well), he uses his physical assets well, and he's got the aggression that he was missing last season.

I think they're both in for 2-3 year contracts in the 2-3 million dollar range, but I'd be very pleased if Backlund got an 8 year contract at a fairly low hit (3-3.5); he's worth every penny, and I think he'll end up getting more once his third contract is up.

an 8 year deal doesnt make much sense.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Yes that is how long term contracts for RFA players work. Brodie gets more money and more years because he will get paid for potential too. Look at Zajac as a comparable deal.

How on earth is Zajac a comparable deal. He's much older, a forward, this was his third contract, and he significantly more proven than Brodie.

You could argue a guy like Del Zotto. Two years, 2.55 million per year. He put up 41 points last year. But Brodie's not even close to that level yet. If he took more years he could have gotten a little more money, but Brodie's not close to Del Zotto right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How on earth is Zajac a comparable deal. He's much older, a forward, this was his third contract, and he significantly more proven than Brodie.

You could argue a guy like Del Zotto. Two years, 2.55 million per year. He put up 41 points last year. But Brodie's not even close to that level yet. If he took more years he could have gotten a little more money, but Brodie's not close to Del Zotto right now.
You missed my point. I was not comparing them as players.

My point was Zajac hasn't earned his contract. He is young and being paid for potential. That is what happens when young players sign long term deals, they are paid for what they could become, not what they are. So if you want Brodie to sign a long term deal you will have to pay him for what he projects to become. And if Brodie projects to be a top pairing defenseman in 3 years, then years 4 & 5 would pay him 5+ million each while the first 3 may be 2-4 million each. So then you are looking at 19+ million over 5 years, which is right around the $4 million I projected.

Where as on a 2 year deal you would be looking at del Zotto money

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I doubt he's being paid on potential considering he's already 27 and not likely to get much better. Nevermind his injuries and decline in numbers. He's just a bad contract and if we did that for Brodie I'd be pissed.

There's a difference between paying players for potential and signing an anchor.

Cam Fowler is a much better comparable. 5 years, 4 million/per. But again, he's a lot more established than Brodie.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I doubt he's being paid on potential considering he's already 27 and not likely to get much better. Nevermind his injuries and decline in numbers. He's just a bad contract and if we did that for Brodie I'd be pissed.

There's a difference between paying players for potential and signing an anchor.

Thing about Zajac is that they could NOT afford to lose him to FA this summer after losing Parise last summer. With Elias, Salvador, Broduer all getting old, they couldn't afford to lose one of their younger veterans. Zajac would have gotten that as a free agent. Is it an anchor? This season sure looks like it.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Thing about Zajac is that they could NOT afford to lose him to FA this summer after losing Parise last summer. With Elias, Salvador, Broduer all getting old, they couldn't afford to lose one of their younger veterans. Zajac would have gotten that as a free agent. Is it an anchor? This season sure looks like it.

Right, but Zajac was heading into FA. That is a completely different situation to Brodie's. No one is giving him 4 million a year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
an 8 year deal doesnt make much sense.

Why not? I know he's not putting up league-leading numbers, but I'd argue that he's one of the three most important players on the team currently and if he's locked up long term, the Flames can probably get him at very good value through his entire prime (and slightly beyond).

The guy who doesn't make much sense to lock up long term is Brodie, because long term would be just long enough for him to hit UFA and get paid substantially.

TylerSVT*

I dont see Brodie going for the bridge contract. I can see the flames tossing 5M at him for 7 years. I wouldnt do that, but he is already better than Wideman and is younger as well... I could see him arguing that case to Feaster.

I agree with Backlund, 2 years 2.5M or something around that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I dont see Brodie going for the bridge contract. I can see the flames tossing 5M at him for 7 years. I wouldnt do that, but he is already better than Wideman and is younger as well... I could see him arguing that case to Feaster.

I agree with Backlund, 2 years 2.5M or something around that.

There is about 0% chance of this happening.

Find me one player in a comparable situation to Brodie who gets that kind of money and term. It simply wont happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad