Speculation: Value Of: Brodie & Backlund's Next Contracts

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Speaks for itself. Both are RFA's next year.

Backlund

Position: Centre

3rd Contract

GP: 26: 7-7-14 (On pace for 20-20-40 in full season)

Backlunds current contract was a prove it to me kind. I think he has more than done so. Solidifying himself as at least #2 Centre on our team. I don't think he will be looking for a very long term deal. I think he will look for somthing with some security, as well as a chance to hit it big UFA. (with Calgary, or somewhere else)

My guess:

4 Years - 12Mil ($3,000,000 Per)

Brodie

Position: Defence

2nd Contract

GP: 40: 1-10-11(On pace for 2-20-22 in full season)

Brodie statistically has not been dominant. But since the trades and such, has went 8 straight game above 22 minutes and above 25 twice. The way he is playing, there is no way he is not a top 4 D for us, and maybe a top pairing D as soon as next season. If the #s improve, lookout... We may need to dish out the big bucks. Now im really not sure about this one, seeing as he is only 22, he could go for the max 8 years, and hit 30 and still get another big one. But my feeling is it will be a short one to prove he can be a high end D-man in the NHL.

My guess:

2 Years - 5Mil ($2,500,000 Per)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Brodie was on pace for a 2 million contract pre-deadline. Now he's somewhere closer to 2.5.

Backlund is somewhere in the 2-2.5 range as well imo. Not three.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Brodie is worth more than Backlund. Brodie's a top 4 guy now and has consistently grown each year. I can't sah the same about Backlund, even though Backs is looking like a good top 9 center, minus faceoffs.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Id say 2-2.5 for Backlund, 2.5-3 for Brodie. 3-4 years each and then resign them to longer contracts if they continue to develop.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You can't ignore injuries when talking about what a player is on pace for, you don't magically get those games back. Backlund would be on a 35 point in a full season if he didn't get hurt again, which I am not sure would happen. His injuries would play a huge part in any contract negotiation at this point as well, as would his UFA status which he will obtain at the age of 26.

I would offer him a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $2,000,000.

Brodie is more tricky, he is having his first great season and you don't want to overpay. I would offer him 2 years at a $2.5-3 million cap hit.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
We need to lock Brodie down long term for a low cap. I wouldn't be opposed to a 4 or 5 year deal for a cap hit of about 2.50 million per year. The last year or two of that deal would be when this team is back in playoff contention and Brodie at less than 3 million will be a huge bargain. He hasn't put of much in the way of offensive numbers yet so i doubt he commands a huge salary.

Backlund should be offered two year deal at about two million. He's still pretty raw, and needs another "prove it" contract.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A two year bridge contract for Brodie at 2.5M per. Same idea as the Subban, Kulikov, and Duchene contracts. Players get a short deal to demonstrate what they can do while the team gets another window to evaluate the player. If they continue to improve, then they can sign the longterm big money contract.

A slightly longer contract for Backlund, which in many ways, can also be considered a bridge contract - 3yrs at 2.75 per or 4yrs at 3M per.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We need to lock Brodie down long term for a low cap. I wouldn't be opposed to a 4 or 5 year deal for a cap hit of about 2.50 million per year. The last year or two of that deal would be when this team is back in playoff contention and Brodie at less than 3 million will be a huge bargain. He hasn't put of much in the way of offensive numbers yet so i doubt he commands a huge salary.

Backlund should be offered two year deal at about two million. He's still pretty raw, and needs another "prove it" contract.
No way Brodie would sign long term for less than 3 million. For each year you add, the cap hit gets higher. I bet to sign Brodie for 5 years it would take a minimum $4 million cap hit. Plus he would then be a UFA at the end of the new contract.

I would give him a 2 or 3 year contract so it eats up most of his RFA years, then sign him long term in his final year of being a RFA. It's the best asset management IMO.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
No way Brodie would sign long term for less than 3 million. For each year you add, the cap hit gets higher. I bet to sign Brodie for 5 years it would take a minimum $4 million cap hit. Plus he would then be a UFA at the end of the new contract.

That's not how long term deals work. More years committed to the player means more guaranteed money. In turn, the player takes slightly less money each year.

Brodie doesn't get more money AND more years. And certainly not 4 million a year at his current 0.25 PPG production. Plus he's an RFA so he has no real leverage.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's not how long term deals work. More years committed to the player means more guaranteed money. In turn, the player takes slightly less money each year.

Brodie doesn't get more money AND more years. And certainly not 4 million a year at his current 0.25 PPG production. Plus he's an RFA so he has no real leverage.
Yes that is how long term contracts for RFA players work. Brodie gets more money and more years because he will get paid for potential too. Look at Zajac as a comparable deal.

I Pity The Foo

Jan 11, 2012
Victoria BC
I wouldnt resign backlund. He is too much of a band-aid need to start looking at other options then realying on him not to get hurt and help lead this team in a rebuild.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I wouldnt resign backlund. He is too much of a band-aid need to start looking at other options then realying on him not to get hurt and help lead this team in a rebuild.

You're an Idiot. Backlund is still very young, and has shown nothing more than a huge step forward and ample room to grow this season still. Letting him walk would be a massive set back. He'll never be a #1, but right now he's looking like he could definitely be a defensively apt #2.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Considering Backlund's huge leap this year this may be one of the posts I disagree with most I've seen all season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Should we let Sven go if he gets injured as often? (The only answer here is no). Giving up on players because of injuries when your rebuilding is extremely short sighted.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Should we let Sven go if he gets injured as often? (The only answer here is no). Giving up on players because of injuries when your rebuilding is extremely sort sighted.
to add to this, Backlund has also not been suffering recurring injuries either, so there is no reason to believe it will actually continue.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Backlund looks the opposite of raw to me this season. He's always in the right area of the ice (as was the case last season as well), he uses his physical assets well, and he's got the aggression that he was missing last season.

I think they're both in for 2-3 year contracts in the 2-3 million dollar range, but I'd be very pleased if Backlund got an 8 year contract at a fairly low hit (3-3.5); he's worth every penny, and I think he'll end up getting more once his third contract is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00