Value of: Value 5th overall pick??

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
and Slaf showed more at 19 year old than laf at 22. It's work both way.You can pretend that Laf was good in his 3 first years, we all know he was not. How mutch pts would you think he would get by playing with Dach/Newhook and not Panarin/Trocheck? Would you give a 5ov or Guhle for that kind of production??? This would be a Drouin mistake all over again.
How did slaf show more? By being gifted a spot on the top pp and top line? Laf was easily the better player this year, scored more in less ice time and no pp1 time . It's just strange to have bust criteria for one and not the same for the other.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
How did slaf show more? By being gifted a spot on the top pp and top line? Laf was easily the better player this year, scored more in less ice time and no pp1 time . It's just strange to have bust criteria for one and not the same for the other.
You mean Slaf was gifted a spot on the top line like laf was gifted a spot on the top line? Look who scored more since Slaf was put on the top line while behind near 3years younger. Slaf have a way better developpment curve and pretty much every one would take him over Laf at this point. A 1oa pick who can't even have a 60pts season after 4years is not awesome

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
You mean Slaf was gifted a spot on the top line like laf was gifted a spot on the top line? Look who scored more since Slaf was put on the top line while behind near 3years younger. Slaf have a way better developpment curve and pretty much every one would take him over Laf at this point. A 1oa pick who can't even have a 60pts season after 4years is not awesome
Slaf had 4 goals last year, without being gifted a spot on a bad team he produces nothing. Laf produces much better down the lineup at any point in their development

Reactions: bernmeister

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Slaf had 4 goals last year, without being gifted a spot on a bad team he produces nothing. Laf produces much better down the lineup at any point in their development
who are the 1ov foward who where not able to put or on pace of 60pts after 4season??? Slaf just got 50pts in is second season witch destroy laf second season. No one would take him over Slaf.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
And from my perspective, the habs would have the value like this

5ov>guhle>laf. And while Barron is often a throw in because of his contract situation, Schneider isn't putting the ligue in fire either. Both are bottom pairing dman a this stage, and are the same age and both are 1st rounder. Schneider may have more value based on the fact he played more game but if you consider the 5ov having more value than laf, it's pretty much even. It's not has stupid as guhle+reinbacher++ for laf
JUSTIN BARRON
Nov. 15, 2001
NHL TOTAL NHL 94 12 18 30 -8 36

BRADEN SCHNEIDER
Sep. 20, 2001
NHL TOTAL NHL 206 12 36 48 13 41

Please stop lying to yourself. Schneider is more physical, better defensively. The gap between them is massive.

Laf is def not better than Guhle.

Since when is a middle 6 winger worth a top pairing 24min a night dman? Draft pedigree don't matter
Once Laf puts up 30-30 regularly youll be able to trade him for a top pairing LHD.

Not when he's stoll a 40sh pts winger
there is a difference of 27 teams in the standings

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
JUSTIN BARRON
Nov. 15, 2001

BRADEN SCHNEIDER
Sep. 20, 2001

Please stop lying to yourself. Schneider is more physical, better defensively. The gap between them is massive.
More physical:yes
Better defensively:yes
Better offensively:no
Both bottom pair dman:yes

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
which player would most team choose? Schneider
Yes, and I would chose him too. But his value is closer to Barron than a 5ov or laf. Both are simply throw in at this point. And the habs would have no use of him with the log jam of bottom dman that we have and the new kids who are showing up

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree with your assessment of Lafreniere. I’m super high on him as a player and I think he is grossly underrated on these boards. He looks to be a line driver and that is rare.

That being said, I can’t see a winger be worth both Guhle and Reinbacher, which could both be potentially first pairing D as soon as two years from now. It’s just an unrealistic ask. On top of that, Montreal is in no position to trade one of them, let alone both. We have surplus of D but we don’t have a surplus of high quality D.
thank you for a civil and constructive post.

We agree to disagree on if LF is worth both those D
and that is fine

my ask is actually more, it jjust starts w/those 2.

Remember, only weakness in LaF game was his skating, and obv that is no longer a concern
this is a guy playing on a line that could be first line on most clubs
It is not unreasonable to view him, therefore, as a 1W.
And he still has some short term downward pressure on salary.

Now obv, Guhle is top LD, I view him as I would K'A Miller
He's had a partial step back but I am not crucifying him for that

Reinb is also properly regarded as a top prospect, but he is not proven day 1 ready, let alone excellent, and he is 1.5 yrs away.
Those are facts.

Just asking everybody recognize ALL the totality of ALL the facts

again, kudos to you for speaking the truth, agree or disagree w/me

Value aside, just admit you have no idea who Guhle and Reinbacher are, it's okay.
Lucy, you just so ridiculous!

• Haha
Reactions: Qwijibo

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

and that is fine

Remember, only weakness in LaF game was his skating, and obv that is no longer a concern

Reinb is also properly regarded as a top prospect, but he is not proven day 1 ready, let alone excellent, and he is 1.5 yrs away.
Those are facts.

Keep the civil and constructive thread hijack, it's a good read I gotta admit

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
More physical:yes
Better defensively:yes
Better offensively:no
Both bottom pair dman:yes
one nhl, the other in the ahl
you are still lying to yourself.
make a poll, if barron and schneider are in the same tier or how many tiers are between them.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yes, and I would chose him too. But his value is closer to Barron than a 5ov or laf. Both are simply throw in at this point. And the habs would have no use of him with the log jam of bottom dman that we have and the new kids who are showing up
nyr rhd depth: fox, trouba, schneider
mtl rhd depth: savard, ...................................................................................................... barron (in the ahl)

stop lying to yourself. if barron was a nhl level defender, he wouldn't be in the ahl. your team plays two lhd on the right side to avoid him in the nhl line up.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Laf is def not better than Guhle.

Since when is a middle 6 winger worth a top pairing 24min a night dman? Draft pedigree don't matter
Once Laf puts up 30-30 regularly youll be able to trade him for a top pairing LHD.

Not when he's stoll a 40sh pts winger
you?

i am devils fan. you are the one with homer googles. you are one of the most biased posters on this board. if you talk other teams, you make sometimes some fair points. if you are talking about your own team, your opinion has zero value for me.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
nyr rhd depth: fox, trouba, schneider
mtl rhd depth: savard, ...................................................................................................... barron (in the ahl)

stop lying to yourself. if barron was a nhl level defender, he wouldn't be in the ahl. your team plays two lhd on the right side to avoid him in the nhl line up.
Maybe if Schneider played in the ahl, he would have developped better than that. I'm not lying myself, both are bottom pairing d who are throw in. Schneider have more value as I said but it still little value.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

and that is fine

Those are facts.

I doubt Montreal moves Guhle for Lafreniere. I'll ask on Habs board for more opinions but I doubt it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Maybe if Schneider played in the ahl, he would have developped better than that. I'm not lying myself, both are bottom pairing d who are throw in. Schneider have more value as I said but it still little value.
your info is out of date
Trouba likely but not def but likely moved next season to recover most of his 8m per
Schneider, his replacement/heir apparent, unavailable.
Howev, KAM-Schneider already ae 2nd pair
Trouba 3RD usually w/Gust.

We like Barron
he still has upside
fair value imo is something like Wennberg

but you are off Schneid, way off

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I doubt Montreal moves Guhle for Lafreniere. I'll ask on Habs board for more opinions but I doubt it.
Thanks in advance for the courtesy
It would be fair/useful/productive/appropriate to recognize
sure, Habs not looking to move either D
and there would be bidding if they did

but keep in mind if LaF were put on the market, demand would be VERY high-> strong competitive bidding

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
your info is out of date
Trouba likely but not def but likely moved next season to recover most of his 8m per
Schneider, his replacement/heir apparent, unavailable.
Howev, KAM-Schneider already ae 2nd pair
Trouba 3RD usually w/Gust.

We like Barron
he still has upside
fair value imo is something like Wennberg

but you are off Schneid, way off
Schneider played a average of 15.54 this year. Less toi than fox,lindgren,miller,trouba and even gustafsson. He was clearly use as a bottom def. Oh, and Trouba most commun teammate was Miller

1000000263.jpg

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

and that is fine

Those are facts.

Keep selling it because Ranger fans love it, but there is no chance in hell this proposal has any legs or rooted in Habs reality.

Keep Laffy, we got other choices.

Reactions: Qwijibo

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
what everyone?
A half dozen + Habs fans want to drive down the price, so they undervalue LaF, criminally.

Look, LaF, Guhle, and Rein all are/project as 3 fine players.
Do we now know who will have the best career when all is said + done?
Honestly no.
So we best we can do is extrapolate with admission of that.

Guhle is terrif but not the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr,
neither is Rein who projects, best case scenario, as Leetch lite.

On the other hand, I was accurate to say if LaF overcame initial skating issues, which now clearly he has -- then min floor is Steve Vickers
Remember, while highly rated, neither Guhle nor Rein earned the predraft hype:
best 1OA since MacKinnon who is not a generational talent.

But go ahead, you do you, whatev

In the end, usually, when Rs listen to bern they are better off, when they don't they are not.
Guhle and Reinbacher type defenseman rarely have a lot of hype yet they are super effective player who end up being more important then most 60 pts wingers. I think Laf has the potential to be a PPG winger, but that's best case scenario. The safest projection is a 60 - 70 pts winger.

You can only surf so long on pre draft hype...

I think they are similar value players

Reactions: HabsAddict

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Schneider played a average of 15.54 this year. Less toi than fox,lindgren,miller,trouba and even gustafsson. He was clearly use as a bottom def. Oh, and Trouba most commun teammate was Miller

View attachment 862606
If I am not mistaken, your info is to reflect entire yr
Schneid has surpassed Trouba as of roughly 1 month at most
So based on that context it is not most current

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
JUSTIN BARRON
Nov. 15, 2001

BRADEN SCHNEIDER
Sep. 20, 2001

there is a difference of 27 teams in the standings
Yah Habs were not gifted a Adam Fox or a Panarin jusy cause some cry babies wantes to play in NY only.
What have they win tho? Cose last I checked Habs were in the SCF in the past few years. nYR werent.

And Schneider is prob better defensively, he also has twice the offensive output Schneider has.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad