Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think you’re missing the point entirely here

If this player has a substance abuse issue, it’s his own fault for developing that issue. There was a time when he wasn’t abusing substances, and then he decided to start. It is very simple, I don’t know why you’re trying to complicate it for no reason.

If you can’t explain something in a simple way, I’d say you’re the one who doesn’t really understand it

Look man, I just expect people to take some personal responsibility. I’m not talking down to you

I don’t agree with this “it’s not my fault” attitude about things.
We are responsible for the choices we make, regardless of whether we are under the influence (as an addicted person or just a one night warrior) or not. And FULLY accountable for the ramifications of same. Unquestionably.

However you clearly don’t understand alcoholism or addiction. You seem to think addiction is a choice. I suggest some humility. Next time you have a beer, have a little gratitude and thank whatever it is that allows you to have just one or none at all.

Not sure what your background i. As someone who has 25 years of sobriety I can speak from some experience.

Trying to show some empathy for the affliction (NOT to impacts or ramifications of same) would be the kind thing to do.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
If he is in fact an addict the odds are not good. You need an incredible strong support system and even that isn't enough. His career in the NHL is the least of his concerns if his issues are that deeply rooted. Sometimes it takes a complete reset of your life and removing all those associations along with it. Hockey could be one of those. His path forward will be long and difficult. I would not be surprised at all if he isn't seen for a long time.
Yep. Even with great support he will likely fail repeatedly before it sticks, if he is ever lucky enough for it to stick. The great support comes in by continuing to give him chances to get and stay clean. It can happen. I have seen it. It is not easy.

Again, assuming he is in fact an addict.

Reactions: MikeK

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Kuznetsov was not in the player assistance program when that happened so the consequences could be different. I imagine the program has some more documents to sign.
I’m sure this has been addressed over the last 20 pages of the thread but wasn’t Kuzy suspended for lying during the investigation and not for drug use? He was suspended by the IIHF for drug use and a failed drug test.

Reactions: Voight

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think you’re missing the point entirely here

If this player has a substance abuse issue, it’s his own fault for developing that issue. There was a time when he wasn’t abusing substances, and then he decided to start. It is very simple, I don’t know why you’re trying to complicate it for no reason.

If you can’t explain something in a simple way, I’d say you’re the one who doesn’t really understand it

Look man, I just expect people to take some personal responsibility. I’m not talking down to you

I don’t agree with this “it’s not my fault” attitude about things.
You should take a look at steps 8, 9 and 10 of AA or NA. Nobody working a good program believes they aren't at fault for their actions.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Being ‘true’ in your mind has nothing to do with the objective reality being that it is not true

We don’t just invent our own realities and then impose it on everyone else.

Once someone is addicted, the drugs do take over a large amount of control. What people are telling you is that becoming addicted itself is a choice you made. It’s a choice all addicts make.

Somehow, I’ve managed to not become addicted. Do you know why? Because of choices I made to say, not stick a needle full of heroin into my arms.

See how easy that is?
Have you ever tried any addictive substances at all? Alcohol, say? If you did and did not become addicted, a lot of that is due simply to luck and nothing you did in your moral perfection. Some people are simply wired differently and when they try it, it ceases to be a choice in the future.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hate to see it. Not gonna really speculate what he did. But half the league could be suspended for cocaine usage. I know when Colin Wilson wrote his players tribune stuff he came out and talked about just how common cocaine usage is in the NHL.

I personally know former and current players, and Wilson was 100% correct.

Tho most guys use it recreationally and in the off season when they have more time to party.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
To fail a drug test during the playoffs where you 100% know tests are going to happen in abundance is incredibly stupid and a clear sign that this isn't just recreational use.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
He’s the Trojan horse the STARS planted in the AVS organization to “nuke” their playoff runs.

Reactions: ViD

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We are responsible for the choices we make, regardless of whether we are under the influence (as an addicted person or just a one night warrior) or not. And FULLY accountable for the ramifications of same. Unquestionably.

However you clearly don’t understand alcoholism or addiction. You seem to think addiction is a choice. I suggest some humility. Next time you have a beer, have a little gratitude and thank whatever it is that allows you to have just one or none at all.

Not sure what your background i. As someone who has 25 years of sobriety I can speak from some experience.

Trying to show some empathy for the affliction (NOT to impacts or ramifications of same) would be the kind thing to do.

I don’t know how to explain that we are talking about two different things with just bluntly saying that we are

Being addicted is much different than becoming addicted. Once you’re addicted it’s a different story, that’s what you’re talking about

I’m talking about the choices you make to become addicted. No one is naturally born addicted to a man-made substance like cocaine. However, people abuse cocaine, which is well-known to be very addictive, and then **surprise** they become addicted

Alcoholics don’t have their first drink and then fall into alcoholism, there are years of working at it that make the body dependent. No alcoholic is dependent on alcohol without first abusing the shit out of alcohol. That’s the choice.

I’m not talking about choices after you’re physically addicted, I’m talking about the choices made before that point

You should take a look at steps 8, 9 and 10 of AA or NA. Nobody working a good program believes they aren't at fault for their actions.

There seems to be a lot of talk in here from people who seem to think “it’s just genetics” or “it’s just how I was born” instead of “it’s the choices I made regarding xyz substance”

Reactions: eartotheground

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t know how to explain that we are talking about two different things with just bluntly saying that we are

Being addicted is much different than becoming addicted. Once you’re addicted it’s a different story, that’s what you’re talking about

I’m talking about the choices you make to become addicted. No one is naturally born addicted to a man-made substance like cocaine. However, people abuse cocaine, which is well-known to be very addictive, and then **surprise** they become addicted

Alcoholics don’t have their first drink and then fall into alcoholism, there are years of working at it that make the body dependent. No alcoholic is dependent on alcohol without first abusing the shit out of alcohol. That’s the choice.

I’m not talking about choices after you’re physically addicted, I’m talking about the choices made before that point

There seems to be a lot of talk in here from people who seem to think “it’s just genetics” or “it’s just how I was born” instead of “it’s the choices I made regarding xyz substance”
You're not physically addicted to alcohol after like a week of detox. I know lots and lots of people who have relapsed after that physical dependency has passed. I don't think you have a very good understanding of how this works.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Have you ever tried any addictive substances at all? Alcohol, say? If you did and did not become addicted, a lot of that is due simply to luck and nothing you did in your moral perfection. Some people are simply wired differently and when they try it, it ceases to be a choice in the future.

I have tried quite a few addictive substances, I have many recovering friends and I have lost family and friends to drug use. But this isn’t about some appeal to authority, or proving we have our stripes. That stuff isn’t relevant.

The body, everyone’s body, takes time and abuse to become physically addicted. Before that point a person has many chances to make different decisions.

The truth is that people do these substances because they enjoy them and they don’t consider, or don’t care, that they may become addicted. It’s not some predestined voodoo or a roll of the dice, and it’s not divinely inspired that anyone should become addicted.

These are very powerful substances that people abuse and abuse is what leads to addiction

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You're not physically addicted to alcohol after like a week of detox. I know lots and lots of people who have relapsed after that physical dependency has passed. I don't think you have a very good understanding of how this works.

If someone isn’t physically addicted, if the body isn’t dependent on a substance, that isn’t really an addiction. That’s more of a compulsion.

I know technically there is the belief that psychological addiction is the same thing as physical addiction, but it isn’t at all.

Poor impulse control, trauma, mental health, and a great many other things can lead someone towards addiction

Compulsions refer to repetitive behaviors that people feel compelled to engage in due to obsessions. These obsessions create a sense of anxiety, so people engage in compulsions to relieve those feelings of distress.

Compulsions do play a role in the addiction process. As an addiction develops, it often will involve a feeling of compulsion to take an addictive substance, such as alcohol or heroin, or to carry out an addictive behavior, such as gambling or sex.

People have murderous compulsions, too. They become addicted to it. There are very few people who can’t recognize that murdering someone is a choice

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I have tried quite a few addictive substances, I have many recovering friends and I have lost family and friends to drug use. But this isn’t about some appeal to authority, or proving we have our stripes. That stuff isn’t relevant.

The body, everyone’s body, takes time and abuse to become physically addicted. Before that point a person has many chances to make different decisions.

The truth is that people do these substances because they enjoy them and they don’t consider, or don’t care, that they may become addicted. It’s not some predestined voodoo or a roll of the dice, and it’s not divinely inspired that anyone should become addicted.

These are very powerful substances that people abuse and abuse is what leads to addiction
99% of times theres mental health issues behind addiction.

Reactions: dukeofjive

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If someone isn’t physically addicted, if the body isn’t dependent on a substance, that isn’t really an addiction. That’s more of a compulsion.

I know technically there is the belief that psychological addiction is the same thing as physical addiction, but it isn’t at all.

Poor impulse control, trauma, mental health, and a great many other things can lead someone towards addiction
This isn't gonna go anywhere. Have a good day my guy.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Here’s a good tip. If you do something once and you like it so much you want to do it the next day, that’s an easy point to realize it’s dangerous for you and to not do it the next day

If you abuse a substance and you become addicted to it, you’re not a victim of circumstance and you’re not a victim of genetics. You are a victim of yourself
"Just don't be addicted bro!"

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but it needs to be recognized that the NHL Player Assistance Program is voluntary. That means Nichushkin didn't need to subject himself to the random drug testing, and could've looked for help via non-NHL affiliated resources.

Without knowing more about the player off the ice, to me that says he is trying to get help. Clearly, he desperately needs it as he's on a dark road.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Here’s a good tip. If you do something once and you like it so much you want to do it the next day, that’s an easy point to realize it’s dangerous for you and to not do it the next day

If you abuse a substance and you become addicted to it, you’re not a victim of circumstance and you’re not a victim of genetics. You are a victim of yourself
As others have pointed out this is an oversimplification of addiction and unhelpful.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but it needs to be recognized that the NHL Player Assistance Program is voluntary. That means Nichushkin didn't need to subject himself to the random drug testing, and could've looked for help via non-NHL affiliated resources.

Without knowing more about the player off the ice, to me that says he is trying to get help. Clearly, he desperately needs it as he's on a dark road.
Each NHL player is tested at two random times per year, regardless if they are in the program.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018

Some people are genetically more likely to become addicts. Throw in environmental factors that are not under their control and it is silly to claim everyone who becomes an addict chose to become one.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It’s technically volunteer, but all signs point to if he didn’t go into it he would’ve lost that big contract by now

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

He also could have entered the program last year because if he didn’t he would have been punished for what happened last playoffs and this one.

People are faced with the choice of rehab or punishment all the time. (Not that there’s any proof he went to rehab last time.)

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He also could have entered the program last year because if he didn’t he would have been punished for what happened last playoffs and this one.

People are faced with the choice of rehab or punishment all the time. (Not that there’s any proof he went to rehab last time.)
He was also gone two months at the start of 2024.

There is a pattern here that is quite easy to connect the dots. He’s trying his best to follow the nhl guidelines so his contract won’t be voided. But the help isn’t helping him yet. Brant myhers book was quite the read on similar situation and is proof one can change their life around

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad