Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 6th. worst team.

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Has the rumour of Portland prioritizing OG for the 7th overall pick this off season being discussed? I haven’t really followed rape rumours but just saw it now.

There has been OG rumors all offseason but this is the first time I've heard this specific one.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Has the rumour of Portland prioritizing OG for the 7th overall pick this off season being discussed? I haven’t really followed rape rumours but just saw it now.
Might wanna fix that typo..

Steph with his first finals MVP. Well deserved and also happy to see Wiggins redeem himself.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Congrats to Golden State. After 2 tough years, they are back to where they belong. Congrats to Curry on his first finals MVP, he's generally likable which you can't say about many stars these days. Even the whole team is easy to root for IMO. Green might drive us crazy with his antics but he backs it up on the court so he can do what he wants. Nice to see Klay get another ring too. After what he's been through last 2 years, it's nice to see

Reactions: howlman

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004

No way I pay this guy $25M+ for 4 years or whatever the extension options are. Untradeable for 2 years then. He's saying the right things for his own contract status but one of the 5 starters MUST be traded just for cap purposes beyond next season. There are good alternatives currently in trade market with several teams. The future is Scottie as primary ball handler, Fred will hold his progress back as I don't see him changing his style enough. It will be clear this upcoming season.

On the draft, from their workout list, it doesn't seem they're prioritizing offense which is a mistake. Good chance there will still be a useful rotation player available at 33.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
If we are trading OG it's got to be to get a a big time piece to take us to the next level. Not for a draft pick that we hope will be what OG now 3 years from now.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't think tihs OG for the 7th trade materializes becuase almost all the smoke is on the side of the Blazers wanting it and not the Raptors listening, but my fear is that such a trade occurring would be a precursor to one of two things that I'm not totally sold on the viability of:

1) the Raptors keeping the pick to draft one of the two Canadians or possibly Jeremy Sochan as a fallback option (This is the barstool casual fan outcome)

or

2) the Raptors flipping the pick in a package for Ayton.

I think both ideas would come with significant question marks even though I normally trust Masai almost implicitly.

Reactions: stickty111

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I don't think tihs OG for the 7th trade materializes becuase almost all the smoke is on the side of the Blazers wanting it and not the Raptors listening, but my fear is that such a trade occurring would be a precursor to one of two things that I'm not totally sold on the viability of:

1) the Raptors keeping the pick to draft one of the two Canadians or possibly Jeremy Sochan as a fallback option (This is the barstool casual fan outcome)

or

I think both ideas would come with significant question marks even though I normally trust Masai almost implicitly.
I actually wouldn’t mind the second option, I think the Raptors could get the most out of Ayton, and I wouldn’t mind a swing for the fences type of deal, completely agree about trading OG for the 7th, I don’t see anyone available at that pick that would likely be any better than OG.

Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

or

Let's remember, last year people were losing their minds over passing on Jalen Suggs (and that was with Masai's extension not being confirmed making people even more nervous). Masai/the executive team/player development/Nurse have earned as close to blind trust as I'm willing to give a sports organization I cheer for. Although, I'd hope it would be option #2.

If we use the pick, I think we've all been impressed by our draft and development outside Bruno, and to a lesser extent Poetl (but none of us undo that chain of events).

Hell, I remember when I wanted Skal and was shocked we drafted Siakem. I generally question my teams draft picks (Leafs and Browns have trained me to do that), but Masai gets a massive benefit of the doubt from me.

Reactions: Pink Mist

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I should've clarified that for #1 it's less a case of "I think Masai & co would do this." and "this is what I can see people claiming is the impetus to mak that sort of trade from a Raptor perspective." It's not the kind of thing I can see management doing unless they think that this team is not going to be salvageable in its current form and this is essentially step 1 in a multi-step process to remake the team around Scottie/the 7th pick/other guys who largely aren't Pascal/Fred/OG. But I don't believe we're at that point yet.

For #2 it's something that would probably suck in the moment but I would come to accept it. It would essentially be a (much, much, much) lesser version of the Kawhi deal where it's a big swing for the fences with noteworthy downside but huge upside that would be difficult to obtain elsewhere.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that option #2 would probably require a bigger, more expensive trade to take place because Ayton has a $16m QO for next season and is likely in line for a max-type deal. Moving out OG at $17m would make a fair amount of space for that, but just based on eyeballing it they would still need to make up another $12m-$13m of space, only about $6m-$7m of which would come from cap space. So they would need to find a way to shuffle other salary out the door. Also I don't believe this includes the need to renounce any cap holds on pending FAs for which they have Bird Rights because the figures I have don't have those cap holds listed yet (possibly because it's too soon after the end of the season for them to be set up? Or the site is just behind in its updates).

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad