Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It’s still so early there’s no point in worrying about the standings. Besides, once Thomas comes back the Cavs will likely run off a 15 or so game winning streak and hold the first seed for good. The league will make sure of it.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I haven’t watched any games this year but I have kinda followed the scores and some news. I kinda got bored watching them.

Has the style of game changed this year?

Thanks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I haven’t watched any games this year but I have kinda followed the scores and some news. I kinda got bored watching them.

Thanks

Oh yes it has. A lot more ball movement, and as a result their has been a big change in the offfensive system that they play.
The way they play now is a lot more sustainable come playoff time.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

Thanks

They changed the basis of there offence. Less ISO, more ball movement. Also DeRozan is a whole other beast right now

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Thanks

Well they’ve gone from being one of the slowest pace teams running heavy ISO to a top 10 team in assist ratio. Their SRS (basketball reference team rating system) is 3rd in the league behind GS and HOU, and also significantly higher than BOS and CLE. As of right now the tiers pretty much go:

GS
HOU

TOR

BOS

CLE
SAS
OKC
IND
UTA

Who cares

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
Great thing is that our D is top 5 now whereas in the past few years we'd be just outside the top 10 and in the Lou Will year it as late 20s.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Raps are clearly getting disrespected by them not playing today while teams like the Knicks and 76ers are. I really hope that their play style is sustainable in the playoffs and they knock out Cleveland and/or Boston in the playoffs. I'd love it so damn much. There is no question this team should be playing today instead of either the Knicks or 76ers.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The Raps are clearly getting disrespected by them not playing today while teams like the Knicks and 76ers are. I really hope that their play style is sustainable in the playoffs and they knock out Cleveland and/or Boston in the playoffs. I'd love it so damn much. There is no question this team should be playing today instead of either the Knicks or 76ers.

There are only 5 games and only 10 teams playing and other 20 teams are not playing so I am not sure - Raptors are playing tomorrow

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They are getting disrespected, but nobody in NY is going to want to watch the Raps over the Knicks on Xmas day. They crafted these games for viewership purposes, except that Wolves/Lackers game, dunno what that’s about (aside from the fact that LAL used to be in Minny).

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
They are getting disrespected, but nobody in NY is going to want to watch the Raps over the Knicks on Xmas day. They crafted these games for viewership purposes, except that Wolves/Lackers game, dunno what that’s about (aside from the fact that LAL used to be in Minny).

The Sixers are playing too. The Sixers.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So the Raps are first place in the East now. Technically they are 1 game back of Boston still but they have a better win %. Raps also have 6 games in hand.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
The Celtics are frauds. Good on them for riding that unsustainable defence to their winning streak, but reality has set in. They simply don't have the offensive talent to contend. The Raps are easily better than them. Elite offensive team and close to elite defensively as well.

Last edited:

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
From that Paul Pierce article:

"I just don’t see this team really being a contender amongst Cleveland, Houston, Golden State."

I completely agree with that. I would peg the odds that one of those three teams wins the championship at around 75 %.

If I were to peg the odds that the Raptors win the championship, I would maybe give us 5 %.

I love this team, but as Pierce says, it's hard to see us getting further than the ECF - it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
mavspowell756.jpg

Game Preview: Raptors at Mavericks | Toronto Raptors

Game Preview: Raptors at Mavericks

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com
Posted: Dec 12, 2017

Toronto Raptors (23-8) @ Dallas Mavericks (9-25)
When: Tuesday, December 26, 7 P.M. ET
Where: American Airlines Centre
Broadcast info: SN1, SN590
Last meeting:
The last time Toronto faced the Dallas, the Raptors earned a 94-86 road win. In late March of last season, DeMar DeRozan and Serge Ibaka each scored 18 points to defeat the Mavs and clinch a playoff spot. Toronto got off to a quick start in the game, led 30-22 after the opening quarter and never trailed, leading by as many as 16 points in the first half and 15 in the fourth quarter. Though the Mavericks would use a late run to get into the game, they couldn’t complete the comeback, despite 23 points from Harrison Barnes to lead the team in the loss.
Leading into tonight’s game:
Injury report: For the Raptors, the availability of Lucas Nogueira (right calf injury) and C.J. Miles (dental procedure) is listed as to be decided. For the Mavericks, Seth Curry (stress reaction, left tibia), Dorian Finney-Smith (knee tendinitis), Josh McRoberts (lower extremity injury) and Nerlens Noel (left thumb surgery) are out.
Back-to-back: The team will meet in Dallas following a two-day break for the Christmas holiday to face the Mavericks. Tuesday’s game will kick off a road bac-to-back. After facing Dallas, the team will immediately head to Oklahoma City to prepare for the Thunder on Wednesday.
DeMar from three: DeMar DeRozan has made at least three three-pointers in Toronto’s previous three victories for the first time in his career. His 13 three-pointers over the previous three games came on 65 percent shooting. In the 28 games that came before this stretch, he had made 17 three-pointers combined. Prior to his 29-point performance against the Sixers on Dec. 23, DeRozan scored a career-high 45 points against the Sixers on the road in Philadelphia, and is averaging 34.4 points over his previous 10 games.
Extra assists:
Streaking with ease:
The Raptors come into Tuesday’s game winners of six straight and 12 of their last 13 games. Against the Western Conference, Toronto is 11-4 this season, including 8-4 on the road. In last year’s series sweep against Dallas, DeMar DeRozan averaged a team-high 21.5 points. This season, DeRozan is averaging 24.9 points, 4.4 rebounds and 4.9 assists per contest. Dallas comes into the game hoping to get back on the right track, after going 2-8 over their last 10 games.
Ibaka rising: Serge Ibaka scored 17 points in Toronto’s victory against the Philadelphia 76ers on Dec. 23. This was his 10th consecutive game scoring double figures. In the month of December, Ibaka is averaging 18.4 points on 56 percent shooting from the floor, including 53 percent shooting from beyond the arc. On the defensive end of the floor, Ibaka is also getting it done, averaging 1.6 blocks over his previous 19 games. When Ibaka scores 20+ points, the Raptors are 5-0 this season.
Familiar faces: Raptors head coach Dwane Casey is very familiar with the Mavericks, coming to Toronto from Dallas where he was an assistant coach with Rick Carlisle from 2008-11. Casey won a championship with the Mavericks in 2011 before being hired by the Raptors. The game will be a homecoming for Raptors forward C.J. Miles who is from Dallas and attended Skyline High School, while Mavericks guard Yogi Ferrell and Raptors rookie OG Anunoby were teammates at Indiana University.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
From that Paul Pierce article:

"I just don’t see this team really being a contender amongst Cleveland, Houston, Golden State."

Which is funny because Houston goes to complete shit come playoff time as well. Not to say that they aren’t significantly better this season with CP3, but it’s also hard to place him as this saviour considering he’s never really advanced past the second round himself. I could just as easily see San Antonio with a healthy Kawhi knocking them out.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Which is funny because Houston goes to complete **** come playoff time as well. Not to say that they aren’t significantly better this season with CP3, but it’s also hard to place him as this saviour considering he’s never really advanced past the second round himself. I could just as easily see San Antonio with a healthy Kawhi knocking them out.

We've failed to meet expectations to a much greater extend than the Rockets have

Lowry and DeRozan have been below par for the past few post seasons now and they're the same 2 stars that are leading the way this time around. Our team has a lot to prove in the playoffs

Scion

May 25, 2012
Paul Pierce isn't even playing anymore but he still ****-talks the Raptors. I'll bet he still loooooves the Celtics though. because they have "it" even though Kyrie Irving is an overrated hack.

Did you listen to the full segment? Pierce was actually very complimentary of DeRozan and Lowry. He basically just stated the obvious, that the Raptors (and he said the same about Houston) aren't in the same class as GS and CLE come playoff time. I think he gave the Raps some credit by saying they will put up a good fight because frankly I don't even see them doing that. The gap is just too big between Lebron and DD/KL.

Full segment for those interested,

Scion

May 25, 2012
Which is funny because Houston goes to complete **** come playoff time as well. Not to say that they aren’t significantly better this season with CP3, but it’s also hard to place him as this saviour considering he’s never really advanced past the second round himself. I could just as easily see San Antonio with a healthy Kawhi knocking them out.

Pierce said that he didn't trust Houston in the playoffs either FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad