Speculation: V. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Spezza to the Rescue

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas might not have an issue fitting Jokipakka, Klingberg, and Oleksiak on the team in 2015-16. Since Connauton will be under 26 years old, is buyout is for 1/3 not 2/3 of his remaining salary, and his cap hit would be almost nothing since it's a back loaded contract.

Kevin Connauton buyout from CapGeek.com in June of 2015:
2015-16: $16,667 Cap Hit
2016-17: $133,333 Cap Hit

You could go with 8 D unless you were able to trade one for an upgrade ... which would be great.

Dillon-Oleksiak
Goligoski-Daley
Nemeth-Klingberg
Benn-Jokipakka

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Say Jordie Benn repeats his season from last year. How valuable would a fringe Top 4 .. mostly 5/6 be to a cap team with a $700,000 cap hit?

He's going to be turning 29 years old when he signs his next contract, and it's not impossible to think he could get $3 or $4 on the open market, especially the way the NHL goes. I can't see Dallas going there, and Jamie would be happy for his bro to go get a pretty decent pay day I would think. Hell ... Andrew MacDonald turned similar production into a $5 million pay day. He earned the Islanders a 3rd and 2nd round pick.

Maybe Benn could be the piece to replace the 2nd they gave up for Spezza? I think he could bring back a bit more in the summer next year because he'd have a full year at that cap hit.

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Scouting Report
Assets: Has good size, sound two-way instincts and a little scoring upside. Owns a good, heavy shot. Is usually intense and can play all three forward positions. Is more of a skilled grinder than a constant offensive threat.
Flaws: Doesn't have great hands and is somewhat inconsistent in the offensive part of the game, so he doesn't put up the numbers he's capable of producing. Doesn't always use his size to the best of his capabilities.
Career Potential: Versatile two-way forward

If Peverley misses this season. This is the guy i want, he's won 2 Stanley Cups and is in the last year of his contract for 3mil.

Any guesses?

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Tomas Kopecky

No thanks.

The guy has scored when put with good linemates. He had 27pts in 47gms in the lockout season with Florida. I think he could line up anywhere from LW2 to 4th line winger. I just think he matches up pretty well with Peverley and would be a minimal cost. He was last traded for a 7th rounder. Would rather he play with us than see Eaves getting minutes.

Pevs
Scouting Report
Assets: Is a late-blooming offensive talent with great vision and setup skills. Can play a well-rounded game and line up at any forward position. Is also a solid face-off man. He's savvy.
Flaws: Isn't overly big or physical, so he can be pushed around at the NHL level. Will also turn the puck over from time to time. Can also go stretches without scoring goals.
Career Potential: Quality, versatile playmaking forward.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They just need Pevs back and then worry about pushing the D to develop ... or hope for a potential Top Pair D to come available.

Pevs in this lineup is damn near perfection from the forward group IMHO. He's a much better safe option for the Top 6 than Cole. If Hemsky does end up on that top line ... then he'd be an ideal partner for Val and Spezza to help their defensive game.

I really do hope by November or December he's back with the guys. They're a much, much better team at that point.

Benn-Seguin-Hemsky
Nichushkin-Spezza-Peverley
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Horcoff/Cole-Fiddler-Sceviour

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
GMJN v1.0 did a great job at setting us up for the future.

Was Dallas actually on Spezza's no trade list or is that still misinformation?

Great headline, meh article.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That's what i thought. Remembered Spezza saying something around the lines of he was always willing to waive to go to Dallas

****ing Sports Illustrated lol

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hey Stars fans. I was wondering if you guys could tell me where you see Spezza slotting into your lineup this year. I assume 2nd Line C? But I could of course be wrong.

Awesome jerseys btw.

Al Core

May 21, 2011
Illinois
He also originally said that Nill started with Ribeiro, Ott and Benn as his centers. He's changed it to Roy and Benn now. Apparently he fact checked post publishing the article.

MetalGodAOD*

Hey Stars fans. I was wondering if you guys could tell me where you see Spezza slotting into your lineup this year. I assume 2nd Line C? But I could of course be wrong.

Awesome jerseys btw.

Si, 2nd line C, first PP unit.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX

Awesome jerseys btw.

Our top six will be close to this:

Benn-Seguin-Val
Cole-Spezza-Hempsky

If Peverley can play, he will change things. Also, Brett Ritchie might be able to slot into the top six. It'll be interesting.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Getting excited after reading some of the main boards threads. These past couple offseasons have been such a welcome change.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
It's a nice change to be trying to keep my expectations/excitement down instead of just trying to pump my self up over lack of excitement that definitely was there the last couple of years before Nill and company got here.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
He also originally said that Nill started with Ribeiro, Ott and Benn as his centers. He's changed it to Roy and Benn now. Apparently he fact checked post publishing the article.

Except Roy was dealt long before Nill was hired too.
Sadly this is a major sports publication.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
It was really just Benn, Eakin, and Fiddler by the time Nill took over. Forgot how much a mess the lines were by the end of that lockout year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad