Utica Comets May Leave at the End of 2018/ 2019 Season

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Would you feel you the same way about the Canucks if Vancouver puts a echl team with a Canucks affiliation in utica and moves the AHL team Elsewhere like Manchester NH and the kings.

I don't know. I feel Utica deserves an AHL team; an ECHL team is okay I guess, but it's not the same.
Vancouver used to be home to the Toronto Blue Jay's triple-A affiliate, and then got downgraded to a single-A affiliate club; it's a bit of a bummer tbh.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Most including the group that runs the Comets do not see the ECHL working here in Utica.

Others have said that they will go to some games, but there is no way most will commit to seasons tickets.

The Comets are a complete mess, and are just a very boring team to watch. Most are just going through the motions.

How on Earth anyone in the position that Benning is thought putting raw rookies with a bunch of mediocre checking forwards would work is beyond me.

All we got are struggle rookies and absolutely no offence. Vets already appear to be mailing it in and are mostly disinterested....

There will probably be no coaching change as no one is going to come into this disaster of a situation.......

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I don't know. I feel Utica deserves an AHL team; an ECHL team is okay I guess, but it's not the same.
Vancouver used to be home to the Toronto Blue Jay's triple-A affiliate, and then got downgraded to a single-A affiliate club; it's a bit of a bummer tbh.
I don’t think sellouts will matter to the AHL when makeing decisions in the 90s when the comets where called the ice cats they averaged over 6000 fans a game at the dcu for a six year stretch and everybody called Worcester a bad hockey market Worcester IceCats yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
The Comets are a complete mess, and are just a very boring team to watch. Most are just going through the motions.

How on Earth anyone in the position that Benning is thought putting raw rookies with a bunch of mediocre checking forwards would work is beyond me.

All we got are struggle rookies and absolutely no offence. Vets already appear to be mailing it in and are mostly disinterested....
Sounds a lot like what's going on here in Binghamton. Attendance is way down this year and we're all trying to figure out why. I'm sure part of it is the fact that the team is run like a mess off the ice, but the on-ice product is enough to put you to sleep. Watching this team is like watching paint dry and the games just aren't fun. So I feel for you guys up there.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Sounds a lot like what's going on here in Binghamton. Attendance is way down this year and we're all trying to figure out why. I'm sure part of it is the fact that the team is run like a mess off the ice, but the on-ice product is enough to put you to sleep. Watching this team is like watching paint dry and the games just aren't fun. So I feel for you guys up there.
The devils have a history of poisoning minor league markets blaming fans and moveing the team afterwards

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Interesting to read that Utica and Binghamton are having the same attendance issues Syracuse is. I don't care what kind of BS the Crunch office says when they make their "official" attendance report for the game, many nights they are counting empty seats rather than filled ones. A majority of hockey fans expect a different style of hockey than we are getting with the neater and sweeter AHL. Many of us are honest, hard working souls who expect our hockey teams to be the same way. We work and play hard and when things get interesting, are not afraid to get our noses dirty. Sadly, influential ownership groups within the NHL/AHL family have forced the League Offices to come up with rules that take the physical aspect of the game away in favor of more scoring and fancy skating. Look at just how many games this season have been decided by four or more goals and there are maybe 12 total minutes in penalties being called. Five years ago, that kind of game would have a third period that left fans looking at the schedule for the next matchup between the teams before the final horn sounded.
Some may call us dinosaurs for the way we like our hockey, but one look at the lack of fannies in the seats for what once was considered "fierce rivalry" games just proves the point.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Interesting to read that Utica and Binghamton are having the same attendance issues Syracuse is. I don't care what kind of BS the Crunch office says when they make their "official" attendance report for the game, many nights they are counting empty seats rather than filled ones. A majority of hockey fans expect a different style of hockey than we are getting with the neater and sweeter AHL. Many of us are honest, hard working souls who expect our hockey teams to be the same way. We work and play hard and when things get interesting, are not afraid to get our noses dirty. Sadly, influential ownership groups within the NHL/AHL family have forced the League Offices to come up with rules that take the physical aspect of the game away in favor of more scoring and fancy skating. Look at just how many games this season have been decided by four or more goals and there are maybe 12 total minutes in penalties being called. Five years ago, that kind of game would have a third period that left fans looking at the schedule for the next matchup between the teams before the final horn sounded.
Some may call us dinosaurs for the way we like our hockey, but one look at the lack of fannies in the seats for what once was considered "fierce rivalry" games just proves the point.

Question... does your hard work involve trading repeated head shots with competitors in your industry?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Question... does your hard work involve trading repeated head shots with competitors in your industry?

As a matter of fact, as necessary, yes. Does your line of work involve pies and donuts or are you restricted to just cupcakes?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
No doubt the game has changed in the past few seasons. Suspensions for too many fight, far less hitting... It's more like the ice capades than a hockey game. And it's damn boring to watch.....

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
No doubt the game has changed in the past few seasons. Suspensions for too many fight, far less hitting... It's more like the ice capades than a hockey game. And it's damn boring to watch.....

Sadly, you are totally correct. Just as unfortunate, there is a growing group of hockey fans who have no clue who players named Frankie the Animal, Sugar Sugden, or Val James are. Mention those names to old school AHL fans, and they smile remembering the good old days. This new breed of fan has to get out his/her smartphone and google what you said to figure out just who you are talking about. Yet these same fans think they know everything about the game and how it should be played. The neater and sweeter crowd has won over the AHL league office, is working their form of corruption on the NHL office, and will then head to the ECHL. It wont be much longer before the only memories of the old school, North American style of the game we grew up loving are seen via VHS tapes or online sites.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Welcome to the AHL where it not about winning or losing, its about development..... That is something Portland fans learned about a long time ago. Portland would have to go back to 2005-06 for a team that actually cared with players like Shane O'Brien, Zenon Konopka, Aaron Gavey and Trevor Gillies. Portland had some tough guys like Kevin Kaminski and Kerry Clark or Brian Curran come through the city in the early 90's but the AHL has changed. It's not about the wins and losses anymore. It's about having these glorified practices called games and developing players to get them to the NHL ASAP or cut them loose.

I think that's why the ECHL has done well here early on.... The players may not be household names and they may be a step slower, but they are still playing to win the games. Of course, there is still an element of development, but there are players at different stages of their career so for some guys its about playing to win championships and to be a part of the community. They will still try to body check an opposing player into the third row and give you an offense show as well. I've enjoyed the ECHL immensely since its come to Portland, and I certainly like it more than the AHL is currently producing.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015

Welcome to the Albany AHL experience. I remember everyone slamming Albany and stating how Bingo is so much better. It's almost like being New Jersey's affiliate sucks.

I'm sorry the Devils are wrecking things for you, but I saw this coming a mile away.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Welcome to the Albany AHL experience. I remember everyone slamming Albany and stating how Bingo is so much better. It's almost like being New Jersey's affiliate sucks.

I'm sorry the Devils are wrecking things for you, but I saw this coming a mile away.
how do we know its the Devils, it might be Mitchell who's the dinosaur, besides Duross is still around hockey, and he's a snake

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

The Devils killed hockey in Albany, hands down point blank. Albany is a major league mindset in a small city. Its more sophisticated then your average upstate NY cities likely due in proximity to NYC and its vast supply of both DI college basketball and hockey. Its NYPL baseball team draws very well and Albany's arena football league team draws in par with Philadelphia and Washington. Albany knows a good thing, its not going to support a franchise who just goes through the motions like the Devils do. The Devils were of no loss to Albany, the Adirondack Thunder is a much better alternative, only thing that sucks is the area cant shake its Devils attachment.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I think the fact that former players in many sports have sued the leagues over lifelong physical and mental damage from playing has driven the changes away from violent collisions and fighting. Throwing Christians to the lions used to draw big crowds to the Roman Coliseum back in the day too, but eventually someone decided that wan't OK. I loved old time hockey too, and I'm still up out of my seat cheering for a big hit or fight, but there is also a part of my more rational brain that wonders if I should be paying for people to injure each other for my entertainment. I was just saying to my wife last night as we were listening to the Royal/Growlers game that ended 7-5, that I think I'm ready to accept more radical changes to the game to increase scoring. If we can't go back to the old days of thunderous hits and line brawls (and I don't think we can), then 2-1 games with little physicality are really pretty boring, and the solution is probably bigger nets, or larger ice surfaces, or a real consistent crackdown on hooking, crosschecking, interference, etc. Sort of what the NFL did in changing the defensive rules to increase scoring and eliminate the big hits and head shots. Hockey is removing the physical plays that made the game exciting between goals, but they haven't replaced it with anything, so the game is not as interesting - especially for the casual fan. I was opposed to those kind of changes like most everyone else, but I am coming around to thinking that's what they are going to have to do.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think the fact that former players in many sports have sued the leagues over lifelong physical and mental damage from playing has driven the changes away from violent collisions and fighting. Throwing Christians to the lions used to draw big crowds to the Roman Coliseum back in the day too, but eventually someone decided that wan't OK. I loved old time hockey too, and I'm still up out of my seat cheering for a big hit or fight, but there is also a part of my more rational brain that wonders if I should be paying for people to injure each other for my entertainment. I was just saying to my wife last night as we were listening to the Royal/Growlers game that ended 7-5, that I think I'm ready to accept more radical changes to the game to increase scoring. If we can't go back to the old days of thunderous hits and line brawls (and I don't think we can), then 2-1 games with little physicality are really pretty boring, and the solution is probably bigger nets, or larger ice surfaces, or a real consistent crackdown on hooking, crosschecking, interference, etc. Sort of what the NFL did in changing the defensive rules to increase scoring and eliminate the big hits and head shots. Hockey is removing the physical plays that made the game exciting between goals, but they haven't replaced it with anything, so the game is not as interesting - especially for the casual fan. I was opposed to those kind of changes like most everyone else, but I am coming around to thinking that's what they are going to have to do.
I'm old enough to have attended many of the games that ended up as scenes in Slap Shot such as when the Hanson's climbed into the stands which in real life happened at the Utica Aud when the Carlson brothers of the Johnstown Jets climbed over the short glass at the Aud to attack the fans in section 105. Something I will never forget...

I grew up watching old time hockey when fights were an every game occurrence and bench clearing brawls were common. I still like to see a bone crunching hit and stand up and cheer when two players drop the gloves and go at it. But like you I have learned to accept the changes in the game and I cringe when I read about another former "enforcer" has committed suicide and the autopsy revealed CTE as a result of repetitive brain trauma. Times have changed and the medical science has shown the detrimental effects that concussions can have on on an athlete later in life. Lawyers are now involved which has the attention of the leagues and owners and it will never go back to where it was. Every year there will be fewer fights than the year before and leagues will come down harder on the Tom Wilson types who are repeat offenders with shots to the head.

For my $20 ticket I want to see fast paced, physical and entertaining hockey. That $20 shouldn't come with the expectations of watching athletes damaging their brains to the point where they are going to have significant health issues later in life. The argument that fighting is part of hockey is weak because it is just a resistance to change. Fighting is not part of hockey in many leagues and in college and they are doing just fine. If anyone buys a ticket to see any other team sport from football to basketball to soccer you don't do so with the expectations of watching a fight. Fights do occur in all of those sports when tempers flair but are dealt with by ejections and suspensions and not a simple 5 minute penalty. Give it 5 to 10 more years and I would think that the five minute fighting penalty will go the way of the Dodo Bird and be replaced by game misconducts.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I'm old enough to have attended many of the games that ended up as scenes in Slap Shot such as when the Hanson's climbed into the stands which in real life happened at the Utica Aud when the Carlson brothers of the Johnstown Jets climbed over the short glass at the Aud to attack the fans in section 105. Something I will never forget...

I grew up watching old time hockey when fights were an every game occurrence and bench clearing brawls were common. I still like to see a bone crunching hit and stand up and cheer when two players drop the gloves and go at it. But like you I have learned to accept the changes in the game and I cringe when I read about another former "enforcer" has committed suicide and the autopsy revealed CTE as a result of repetitive brain trauma. Times have changed and the medical science has shown the detrimental effects that concussions can have on on an athlete later in life. Lawyers are now involved which has the attention of the leagues and owners and it will never go back to where it was. Every year there will be fewer fights than the year before and leagues will come down harder on the Tom Wilson types who are repeat offenders with shots to the head.

For my $20 ticket I want to see fast paced, physical and entertaining hockey. That $20 shouldn't come with the expectations of watching athletes damaging their brains to the point where they are going to have significant health issues later in life. The argument that fighting is part of hockey is weak because it is just a resistance to change. Fighting is not part of hockey in many leagues and in college and they are doing just fine. If anyone buys a ticket to see any other team sport from football to basketball to soccer you don't do so with the expectations of watching a fight. Fights do occur in all of those sports when tempers flair but are dealt with by ejections and suspensions and not a simple 5 minute penalty. Give it 5 to 10 more years and I would think that the five minute fighting penalty will go the way of the Dodo Bird and be replaced by game misconducts.

I think fighting is actually up again. Where I live we dont get NHL games televised so from what I see on the NHL network highlights fighting is plentiful. I dont want to see fighting at the expense of players health, no need for it.

The college game at the DI level is very good and fighting comes with a heavy cost yet the college game is very entertaining. Student athletes playing competitive hockey and at half the cost of catching an AHL game. Soon almost nearly 40 to 50% of NHL players will have come from the collegiate ranks.

People forget nowadays that in an era of NHL owned AHL teams winning at the AHL level is secondary. Now we see when an AHL team wins a championship the following season much of the roster has changed and the team isnt as competitive. Gone are those dynasty years where your AHL club was at or near the top for half a decade. An NHL organization isnt going to spend alot of money to "tear up" the AHL, especially when it comes at the expense of the organizations NHL performance.

Prior to the start of this year's AHL season the coach of Colorado's Eagles publicly stated what the AHL's goal was. He reinforced that development and systems implimentation for the organization is a priority. He stated fans will be pleased at getting to see "future" NHL stars. If getting a here and there glimpse of future stars is more interesting to watch then a teams emphasis on winning at the respective level well then the modern AHL is for you. IMO the narrative of "building an AHL team yo win an the NHL level" is a farce. The AHL squad is for today, a place to keep players ready on standby for the call up as needed.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think fighting is actually up again. Where I live we dont get NHL games televised so from what I see on the NHL network highlights fighting is plentiful. I dont want to see fighting at the expense of players health, no need for it.

The college game at the DI level is very good and fighting comes with a heavy cost yet the college game is very entertaining. Student athletes playing competitive hockey and at half the cost of catching an AHL game. Soon almost nearly 40 to 50% of NHL players will have come from the collegiate ranks.

People forget nowadays that in an era of NHL owned AHL teams winning at the AHL level is secondary. Now we see when an AHL team wins a championship the following season much of the roster has changed and the team isnt as competitive. Gone are those dynasty years where your AHL club was at or near the top for half a decade.
Fighting goes down every year. So far this year in the NHL the fighting rate is 0.20 per game so on average every fifth game will see a fight.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightsPerGameChart.aspx

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Most including the group that runs the Comets do not see the ECHL working here in Utica.

Others have said that they will go to some games, but there is no way most will commit to seasons tickets.

There will probably be no coaching change as no one is going to come into this disaster of a situation.......

Sll of what you stated I don't see why they wouldn't embrace the ECHL. I mean it's honestly the same as the AHL these days. Both products are watered down. The ECHL has a little bit more roster control. These leagues are starting to become worse to watch than D3 or D though.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Hate this argument, it's a CHOICE and if you don't know the choice you make, then you deserve what you get. I cant feel too bad for these athletes. They have the choice not to play, it's not a right, it's a privilege. Being good enough you were lucky to win the genetics lottery. Thats half the battle most don't get. Athletes are prayed on to use their talents just as much as your average kid is pressured to conform and go to college and rack up debt because a bunch of adults have told you thats the way to do it and thats how you will be happy in life. When truth is the guy who didn't go to college is probably atleast doing something he can tolerate daily vs the guy who got the corporate desk job and found out its not all it's cracked up to be and it only is if you don't have any morals or ethics.

I also think this head injury stuff is overblown and theres an agenda. In football this is definitely the case and the US government has them blackmailed for lying about the authenticity of games as well as the bounties. I don't think hockey has bounties necessarily but I do think when you see a hit like Ryan Reaves on Tom Wilson and theres chatter beforehand that made it seemed like a goal for Reaves to get him, I do think players become marked men. Due to their own actions and so on. The bounties in football are on the quarterback but as a whole its a lot harder to get that big hit on a guy in football. They have to play the right position.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

The NFL went fullblown Pejorative Slur. You can barely touch the QB now. I'm akll for flagging the defenseless receiver hit but you cant complete a QB tackle anymore pretty much.

These leagues are WAY TOO BIG now and watered down. That's one thing hurting the product. Theres not enough talent to go sround for 30 teams. But ya know every city has to have a team, SOCIALISM. Nevermind that cities like those in California are broke or are in real debt. Most of these minor league teams anyway are likely not profiting.

It's a misconception reharding scoring. I'm no NHL nerd but I also know when Gretzky was at his peak goalie's werent that good and neither was the equipment. Lots of talent today and they have gotten rid of clutching and grabbing but the goalie's are also better now so i'd argue that scoring is probably down from the 80's on average. I think Gretzky wouldn't have the same numbers in today's game. I'm no disputing him but more the product over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
That is surprising. I wonder how many of those 6 years they'll really end up being there.
Many people have predicted that Vancouver is pulling out of Utica next year for five straight years now. Those same people also said they would never extend the original six year deal and they did. Time will tell but they are here for at least two more years if not longer.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad