Utah team nickname/colors/logo (and related marketing)

Bedarded

meow
Mar 21, 2013
"The Predators really took advantage of the Miners tonight."

Doesn't sound great verbally.
:laugh:
i suppose the Utah Younglings wouldn't be any better then. (they have the youngest median age in the USA + new/young team in the league + it kinda flows)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I just don’t get how picking a name, logo, and jersey takes remotely that long. Have a weekend getaway with the Smiths and some marketers and trademark attorneys to pick a name, give a design firm a month to design a logo, and then another month to design a jersey.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just don’t get how picking a name, logo, and jersey takes remotely that long. Have a weekend getaway with the Smiths and some marketers and trademark attorneys to pick a name, give a design firm a month to design a logo, and then another month to design a jersey.

Ultimately, it takes as long as the Smiths are willing to let it take. If they wanted this done quickly, that could happen. Hell, they could just decide, and be ready for puck drop. That's just not how they want to roll.

Reactions: kickback256

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Man, that is a weak sauce list if I've ever seen one. Powder? Fury? Seriously? I did vote and I really struggled to pick the 4 least cringey names.

Mammoth
Mountaineers
Canyons
Outlaws (I had to pick 4)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Man, that is a weak sauce list if I've ever seen one. Powder? Fury? Seriously? I did vote and I really struggled to pick the 4 least cringey names.

Mammoth
Mountaineers
Canyons
Well, they are trying to avoid a similar name to one of the other 3 big pro leagues (MLS as well I guess, but they have a lot of United or FC names).

Like 5 names end with an (s). Aiming for something you can associate with Utah, but it's a weak list.
Seattle had names like Evergreens, Cougars, Eagles, Steelheads, Totems, Sockeyes, Metropolitans, Emeralds, Rainers, Renegades, Seals, Sea Lions, Whales, Firebirds and Kraken.

Ending up taking the only one that did not end in an S.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Well, they are trying to avoid a similar name to one of the other 3 big pro leagues (MLS as well I guess, but they have a lot of United or FC names).

Like 5 names end with an (s). Aiming for something you can associate with Utah, but it's a weak list.
Seattle had names like Evergreens, Cougars, Eagles, Steelheads, Totems, Sockeyes, Metropolitans, Emeralds, Rainers, Renegades, Seals, Sea Lions, Whales, Firebirds and Kraken.

Ending up taking the only one that did not end in an S.
Yeah they really bottled it with Kraken... Sooooo many better names on that list. I'm not keeping my hopes up for Utah.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The options provided to choose from are Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC, which stands for Hockey Club.

In order, my top-4:

Mountaineers
Black Diamonds
Outlaws
Canyons

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, the list is pretty dire. I will never understand why teams even consider names like Blast, where you can't individualize the name in any meaningful way to describe a given player (cough Avalanche cough) My votes went to Black Diamonds, Outlaws, Glaciers, and Swarm, but I will to my dying day argue that Raptors is by far the best option for the team.

Reactions: Puckrobber

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, the list is pretty dire. I will never understand why teams even consider names like Blast, where you can't individualize the name in any meaningful way to describe a given player (cough Avalanche cough) My votes went to Black Diamonds, Outlaws, Glaciers, and Swarm, but I will to my dying day argue that Raptors is by far the best option for the team.
Locally yes. But Smith is an nba owner and it would not sit well with the nba if he named his new nhl club the same team name as one of their members. Same if he wanted to go Wolves.
plus nba is the bigger brand. So people already associate raptors with mba and Toronto. So harder to build up the brand nationally if you go raptors.

But those are a bunch of abstract names they listed.

erzon

Jan 7, 2008
Sweden

Mammoth
Mountaineers
Canyons
haha twinsies!! we voted exactly the same, and with the same arguments...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't help but think that this is basically designed to steer discourse to one or two names that the Smiths want with the appearance that they're popular choices as they beat out 18 or 19 others to head off complaints about the final name at the pass. So many of those are just awkward.

Who honestly supports the Utah Glaciers (apologies ponder) or Powder?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
If we're looking for conspiracy theories...

By going a year without a nickname and just "Utah", Smith is hoping to get everyone used to it when they go with "Utah HC".

Of course mostly they're just trying to build a database with emails of people - who they will later use to try to sell tickets to.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I can't help but think that this is basically designed to steer discourse to one or two names that the Smiths want with the appearance that they're popular choices as they beat out 18 or 19 others to head off complaints about the final name at the pass. So many of those are just awkward.

Who honestly supports the Utah Glaciers (apologies ponder) or Powder?
No harm, no foul. Glaciers was just the best of a bad bunch once we got past Outlaws and Black Diamonds.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would imagine that Smith and his team have a name in mind and are working on the logo and stuff. This is really fan engagement.

I mean, once he began talking to the NHL, he must have had a couple of names in mind once it became clear to him that he was the NHL's backup plan for AZ. Like I doubt most parents to be are waiting til the final week before the birth of their kid to have a shortlist of names ready. Same would apply here.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad