Utah Hockey Media

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Folks, we Arizona fans got schooled.

This is how a market is SUPPOSED to support a hockey team. Outside of us diehards, none of the Coyotes players ever got this from Arizona. It's totally unsurprising how much the players, staff, and families loved this event and how excited they are to play and bleed for Utah.

NHL hockey is dead in AZ, but it looks like it's got a good home in Utah. Good for them and their fans. That's how to do NHL hockey right.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

This is how a market is SUPPOSED to support a hockey team. Outside of us diehards, none of the Coyotes players ever got this from Arizona. It's totally unsurprising how much the players, staff, and families loved this event and how excited they are to play and bleed for Utah.

NHL hockey is dead in AZ, but it looks like it's got a good home in Utah. Good for them and their fans. That's how to do NHL hockey right.
Unfortunately you are correct. But I think when hockey does finally return here with a brand new arena in a great location, we will see support for hockey like we never did before….and I think that will be for multiple reasons. 1) We’ll all realize what we lost and not take it for granted, plus all the new people still moving here in droves. 2) brand new arena in the right place 3) reset of the market and brand. As has been said before, I think the Coyotes will be well served by taking a timeout and letting some of the stink wear off. People in the Valley need to hear Arizona Coyotes and get excited and it needs to be fresh again…not be immediately filled with negative thoughts and emotions.

Reactions: Mosby and Llewzaher

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

I haven't followed the Coyotes a ton, but I have to imagine as a fan it would be very difficult to bring sustained enthusiasm and support for a team given the years of drama around ownership and the arena. I think with new ownership or, at the very least, a new arena you'd see a similar reaction from fans in Arizona

Watching the event yesterday it's pretty obvious how much all this stuff weighed on the players and hockey ops and how relieved they seem to be for it to all be done with

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Meh.....

When they show up at the airport by the thousands at 1-2am to greet the team after winning their first playoff round in ages, then they have something.

First time meet and greets always get big responses.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
To find out more about the Coyotes players, you can follow/ask the PHNX Coyotes people (Leah Merrell; Craig Morgan; Steve Peters), the have a podcast on YouTube (just type in PHNX Coyotes on YouTube)

I mentioned in another forum that LOB will be a fan favorite immediately. Especially when he drops the gloves for the first time.
I agree completely about Liam O'Brien. Team first guy. Has some skill; will defend teammates.

savagefund

Apr 25, 2024

The Deseret News is the other newspaper in town and they are not behind a paywall like the Tribune is. I will let you hockey veterans decide if the coverage is good or not but at least it is another Utah source.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The Deseret News is the other newspaper in town and they are not behind a paywall like the Tribune is. I will let you hockey veterans decide if the coverage is good or not but at least it is another Utah source.

Speaking as a former Utah resident, the subscription to the Trib is well worth the cost of not having to read the Deseret News.

savagefund

Apr 25, 2024
Speaking as a former Utah resident, the subscription to the Trib is well worth the cost of not having to read the Deseret News.
There was a time that the fans of each of the SLC newspapers were just as rabid about their favorite newspaper as are the fans of the Utah-BYU rivalry.

That is not near as noticeable since the internet has taken things over.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There was a time that the fans of each of the SLC newspapers were just as rabid about their favorite newspaper as are the fans of the Utah-BYU rivalry.

That is not near as noticeable since the internet has taken things over.

Well, let's put it this way - the Deseret News is the LDS Church's official newspaper. So take that into account when you are considering what is objective journalism and what isn't.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think we’ll bring back LOB for one more year and I’ll fine with that. Just keep it cheap and play him part time.
BA seemed to give LOB the “love” on a recent KSL sports podcast

As a current Utah resident, I cannot in good conscience support anything the Trib does. KSL is not much better. Hopefully there's some decent coverage from other local outlets.
It would never happen, it I would love to see the PHNX group cover them

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm cool bringing back OB. Just keep it to a 1-year deal and at or close to league minimum. If he plays more than half the season though we likely suck again.

Agree with BA that OB needs to cut down on the penalties. High PIMs are to be expected with him but you have to strike that balance too. There were a number of times this year where he needlessly put us on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad