USNTDP U17 2018-2019 Roster

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
From what I have read, Seth Appert is a great coach! I guess he will start with the u17s and stay with them through u18s.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Who should we be keeping an eye on here? Who is the next Eichel/Matthews/Hughes/Wahlstrom?

Is that Bryan Berard's son?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
From what I have read, Seth Appert is a great coach! I guess he will start with the u17s and stay with them through u18s.

The U18 team did not look good under Appert's coaching direction last season. The defense, especially, looked terrible and got worse as the season went on. His record during his 9 seasons at RPI wasn't very impressive, either. This was the first time during the three seasons the NTDP has been playing in Plymouth that I wasn't impressed with the coaching.

FYI, the NTDP coaches alternate between the U17 and U18 teams each year -- so the same coach stays with the same players for both seasons (assuming the coach stays with the program, of course). So, since Appert coached the U18's last season, he would coach the new U17's coming in this year if Appert returns. Meanwhile, John Wroblewski will coach the U18's this season after coaching the same players on the U17 team last season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I watched a number of RPI games since 2014 (I have family in that area) and I'll say he really didn't have a lot to work with during his tenure. I know his record looked bad but those teams sucked, like they really sucked. No real names worth watching besides Ryan Haggerty, and maybe Wilson on Defence. They were in the bottom of an ECAC conference that had some really good teams in the top 5-6 each year. As of last year well yeah the team underachieved at times and I see Whalers Fan's point.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Who should we be keeping an eye on here? Who is the next Eichel/Matthews/Hughes/Wahlstrom?

Is that Bryan Berard's son?

I like the hopefulness but as of now no hyped up Matthews, Hughes types. But as the next two years go by I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of these guys as a top 5 draft talent maybe.

Three for sure names to watch
Defense - Eamon Powell - can only go by what I’ve read on him as I haven’t seen many of these guys play last year like in years past. People were really high on him early last year saying he has all the tools and he was a sure fire NTDP prospect and the best D man in New England.

Forwards - Ty Smilanic - read sometime last year he was the best 02 in the country, but can’t say if it was by a wide margin. Put up like 60 pts in 35 games with the Colorado Thunderbirds U16. Right out the gate I’m watching his first shift. Lol.
Dylan Peterson - played last year with CIH Academy White in Ottawa and was the best player there on an older team. Lots of OHL scouts had him in the top 5 of the OHL Priority Selection until it became more evident he was going NTDP. But he has game changing ability so I’d say he’s for sure worth mentioning.

Always some bloodlines like Bordeleau and Tuch (brother of Alex) this will be fun to watch these guys come early September.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I like the hopefulness but as of now no hyped up Matthews, Hughes types. But as the next two years go by I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of these guys as a top 5 draft talent maybe.

Three for sure names to watch
Defense - Eamon Powell - can only go by what I’ve read on him as I haven’t seen many of these guys play last year like in years past. People were really high on him early last year saying he has all the tools and he was a sure fire NTDP prospect and the best D man in New England.

Forwards - Ty Smilanic - read sometime last year he was the best 02 in the country, but can’t say if it was by a wide margin. Put up like 60 pts in 35 games with the Colorado Thunderbirds U16. Right out the gate I’m watching his first shift. Lol.
Dylan Peterson - played last year with CIH Academy White in Ottawa and was the best player there on an older team. Lots of OHL scouts had him in the top 5 of the OHL Priority Selection until it became more evident he was going NTDP. But he has game changing ability so I’d say he’s for sure worth mentioning.

Always some bloodlines like Bordeleau and Tuch (brother of Alex) this will be fun to watch these guys come early September.

Tyler Kleven is another name to watch. He's being heralded as the best defenseman in the 02 birth year.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
The first few games are likley going to be rough. I think it may take some time for the team to find chemistry and the right line combinations. I follow the 2002 group and I have to admit there are more than a few names on the u17 team that I have not heard before? Excited to see those kids play!

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The first few games are likley going to be rough. I think it may take some time for the team to find chemistry and the right line combinations. I follow the 2002 group and I have to admit there are more than a few names on the u17 team that I have not heard before? Excited to see those kids play!

Yeah I agree on the names. Thought the same thing when I saw the roster introduced. I don't mind that there isn't a star player hyped up already as that isn't always the norm every year. Lots of these guys can develop into something over the next two years and there is always first round picks that emerge. Makes me think back to when we kept talking about K'Andre Miller a month or so into the season. Never knew who he was till he came into the program and noticed how good he was early. Sure enough he turned into a first round pick for the Rangers this past June. They open with two games against Johnstown of the NAHL which is good. Then I think they go to the NAHL showcase in Blaine to play against more Tier 2 competition before they step into the USHL. Excited to see that first series against Madison.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
So there is a USA select team from the 02 birth year competing in the annual U17 Five Nations Tournament and NTDPers that will be on the U17 team do not compete in this event just like the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. But Daniyal Dzhaniyev competed in the Select 16 Camp which chooses this roster. He was a late add to the NTDP so that might be why he is there. YouTube streams this tournament so I got my first look at him yesterday. First off he is small, only listed at 5 foot 3. But he scored the first goal in a 3-2 loss to the Czech's on a 2 on 0 where he used his speed to get up ice with the puck and dished it to the forward who returned the feed for him to bury it shortside with a 1 timer on his off side. Which was good to see. He also was in position late in the game at the faceoff dot and the puck squirted to him and let another quick shot off that was stopped by Jan Bednar who played terrific for the Czech's in net. He didn't kill any penalties and obviously so, he is being used for offense on this team. Didn't flash and dash but distributed the puck well. Take it for what it is in the first viewing but that's my first look at a kid on this upcoming team.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Dzhaniyev scored a goal in a 7-6 loss to Team Germany at the U17 5 Nations today. That’s 2 in 3 games. Didn’t do much throughout this one. There were plays where he used his small stature to get in under guys and use stick lifts to get the puck. His best shift in the 3rd he did it 2 or 3 time to help keep the puck in the zone. That’s all for today folks

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
That Dzhaniyev does appear to be a decent player but the team is already a tad small. They might have been better off just picking an average sized player.....

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Can't take much from the first game but both goaltenders saw action even though the website says it was Commesso all game. Nobody was great, some were good, others just vanilla but it's game 1. Defensemen: Jacob Truscott - Had a few bad turnovers but is an offensive minded player. Wasn't a great first game for him.
Tyler Kleven - He was good, looked pretty big, had two plays where he rushed the puck out of the zone himself. Got beat to the front of the net on one of Johnstown's goals though.
Eamon Powell - Had a few good shots, dished the puck quickly. Also made 2 good stops on D, one of them sliding to block a pass attempt.
Forwards
Thomas Bordeleau - He was noticeable at times. Had a good play to bat the puck down and deke a guy immediately afterword. Was able to get some time and space in the O zone.
Hunter Strand - He had a well placed shot on USA's 2nd goal. Buried it.
Dylan Peterson - Had a nice steal in the neutral zone and dished puck off to create a 2v1.​

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Won the 1st game of the season on the OT winner by Luke Tuch. Here's some thoughts from game #2.

On D Kleven was the best one out there. Can really accelerate and showed off a really hard shot throughout this one. Reads plays too as her intercepted a breakout pass.
Eamon Powell - Showed more of his shot throughout this one.
Daniel Laatsch - Fought hard in corners, won the puck to a breakout this way.
Jacob Truscott played better, had a bad turnover in the slot but he was more steady than Friday.
Dylan Peterson - Showed why he was highly touted for the OHL draft, able to use his edges to his advantage and turn around players and create passing lanes.
Thomas Bordeleau - Great slap shot that was well placed to beat the G low. He was good in the game before too.
Ty Smilanic was better in this game, had a good quick wraparound goal.
In goal Noah Grannan played very well making some difficult saves in tight with his pads. I know Commesso is the more touted goalie but Noah stood tall in net and made some impressive saves.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Won the 1st game of the season on the OT winner by Luke Tuch. Here's some thoughts from game #2.

On D Kleven was the best one out there. Can really accelerate and showed off a really hard shot throughout this one. Reads plays too as her intercepted a breakout pass.
Eamon Powell - Showed more of his shot throughout this one.
Daniel Laatsch - Fought hard in corners, won the puck to a breakout this way.
Jacob Truscott played better, had a bad turnover in the slot but he was more steady than Friday.
Dylan Peterson - Showed why he was highly touted for the OHL draft, able to use his edges to his advantage and turn around players and create passing lanes.
Thomas Bordeleau - Great slap shot that was well placed to beat the G low. He was good in the game before too.
Ty Smilanic was better in this game, had a good quick wraparound goal.
In goal Noah Grannan played very well making some difficult saves in tight with his pads. I know Commesso is the more touted goalie but Noah stood tall in net and made some impressive saves.

Good summary. I think this team will struggle more than the 01 group to score goals. Powell I though was excellent. The commentators messed up that goalie commentary as they switched midway through game and they never noticed and kept praising Grannon when it was Commesso in net. Both goalies played well though- Grannon played first half and Commesso 2nd half. I think defense/goaltending will be strength of this group as they are undersized up front. Should be a fun season to follow.

Reactions: AmericanDream

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Good summary. I think this team will struggle more than the 01 group to score goals. Powell I though was excellent. The commentators messed up that goalie commentary as they switched midway through game and they never noticed and kept praising Grannon when it was Commesso in net. Both goalies played well though- Grannon played first half and Commesso 2nd half. I think defense/goaltending will be strength of this group as they are undersized up front. Should be a fun season to follow.

I agree with this. The ‘01 group plays really well together and they obviously have skill up front. They were great against USHL competition last year. I don’t look to much at the win loss column for the U17’s through the first few months as they get into USHL games. Mostly just watch how they play. First benchmark is how they do at the World U17 Challenge in Canada

2001HockeyDude

Feb 21, 2017
You can say the U17s last year ruined it for the U17s this year. They were by far one of the better teams we've seen out of Plymouth for a few years. I think those guys who are now the U18s will be even better this year. Too much talent not to.

The U17s don't have the best 2002s, as some of them chose different routes (Stranges to the OHL, a few others tendered by USHL teams). The U17 defense is serviceable at best, hoping some of the better forwards (Similac being one of them) will keep them in it. My prediction is they will be under .500 for the season.

Prediction for the U18s.....playoffs for sure.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yes but as you probably know that isn’t the norm for the U-17’s on any given year, so your point is valid. Yeah some very good ‘02’s are playing elsewhere. This D core could be alright we’ll see. Going to be some strong talent in the USHL this year so yeah they might struggle a bit. When you say playoffs for the U-18’s you mean the IIHF U-18’s right? I thought if the NTDP makes the playoffs it’s the U-17’s that go.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
You can say the U17s last year ruined it for the U17s this year. They were by far one of the better teams we've seen out of Plymouth for a few years. I think those guys who are now the U18s will be even better this year. Too much talent not to.

The U17s don't have the best 2002s, as some of them chose different routes (Stranges to the OHL, a few others tendered by USHL teams). The U17 defense is serviceable at best, hoping some of the better forwards (Similac being one of them) will keep them in it. My prediction is they will be under .500 for the season.

Prediction for the U18s.....playoffs for sure.

I believe other than Stranges (who was NTDP before OHL draft) that this is the best 02's. No players that were tendered by USHL would have made the NDTP nor where invited to the Top 40 camp. Only reason you would tender with an USHL team is if you were told or not invited to NTDP. Last years U17 team was an absolute rarity (having Hughes helps!) - they even made the USHL playoffs. Special group and also a down year in USHL made for perfect storm. USHL is stronger this season IMO so the U17s should do what normal U17 teams and struggle a bit vs older and more seasoned players.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Two other good ‘02 forwards are Patrick Schmeidlin and Isaac Novak. I think both tendered by Des Moines? They weren’t at evaluation camp but could be on this team. Just as good as some of the other forwards

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Two other good ‘02 forwards are Patrick Schmeidlin and Isaac Novak. I think both tendered by Des Moines? They weren’t at evaluation camp but could be on this team. Just as good as some of the other forwards
As always you could make a case for 4 or 5 kids to be swapped out. Even last year you could make a great case for Mastrosimone among others who didnt make the team that could have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad