GDT: USA vs. Sweden | January 5th, Final; 1:30 PM EST, 7:30 PM Local

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Excited to see the same high standard of officiating excellence that I've come to think of as synonymous with this tournament.

Gonna root for the home team here, I like the way Sweden has played so far. I'll say 4-3 in OT.
I will say the Americans have some fun guys to watch. Casey, Brindley, Nazar, and Snuggerud get their noses right in there. Like Gauthier and Leonard too but I don't think either has played particularly well. Hutson is high octane high event.

Hopefully both teams bring their best. Not every kid in this game is going to have an NHL future but they're all very talented hockey players to even be here. Always something special about players playing for their country rather than a bunch of corporations and a fat cheque. I have to remind myself sometimes these are teenagers, they're not supposed to be refined.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Canada is missing Benson, Fantilli, Korchinski, Bedard.

Part of me feels like the CHL and their no AHL policy sort of gets some guys in the NHL early and causes them to lose more players.

Obviously Bedard, Fantilli are NHL regardless.
It would be cool if NHL teams could let all their players go to this tournament.

I guess the insurances might be a big problem though, but in Sweden the SHL teams let their players go to this tournament even though they might risk relegation.

There have been teams in a very tough spot, trailing in points , risking relegation and still they let them go.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Swedens top 2 newspapers for some reason one of them finds Ilkay Gündogan and whatever the f*** he’s up to more interesting. I can guarantee you it wont get you more clicks though. Even if the other article is mostly about the swedish players getting congratulated by the girlfriends.

EDIT: Kinda important, forgot to mention: top stories on both sites sport section right now.
Took me a couple of years but I get it now. EK47. Clever. I'm so slow.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Excited to see the same high standard of officiating excellence that I've come to think of as synonymous with this tournament.

Gonna root for the home team here, I like the way Sweden has played so far. I'll say 4-3 in OT.
I will say the Americans have some fun guys to watch. Casey, Brindley, Nazar, and Snuggerud get their noses right in there. Like Gauthier and Leonard too but I don't think either has played particularly well. Hutson is high octane high event.

Hopefully both teams bring their best. Not every kid in this game is going to have an NHL future but they're all very talented hockey players to even be here. Always something special about players playing for their country rather than a bunch of corporations and a fat cheque. I have to remind myself sometimes these are teenagers, they're not supposed to be refined.
USA speed and raw talent against the Swedes' defensive prowess and counter-attack ability.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
You mean like how the finns took the eurovision loss this spring?
Käärijä did well actually. He got most votes from the public.
and that secured Finland's 2nd best Eurovision result ever since Lordi's win.

Instead of singing clear and understandable voice Loreen's howling
sounded so bad i think WWE hall of fame show-wrestler Kane was set her vagina on fire :D:D:D

Next / future Eurovisions you guys should bring back Tusse or Carola Häggkvist.
Those two can at least sing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Käärijä did well actually. He got most votes from the public.
and that secured Finland's 2nd best Eurovision result ever since Lordi's win.

Instead of singing clear and understandable voice Loreen's howling
sounded so bad i think WWE hall of fame show-wrestler Kane was set her vagina on fire :D:D:D

Next / future Eurovisions you guys should bring back Tusse or Carola Häggkvist.
Those two can at least sing.
Yeah but who went down as the winner?

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
From Aftonbladet

“They stole the gold from us”

Det är revansch-ilska i USA inför finalen.

Mot de svenska spelarna.

– De stal guldmedaljerna från våra nackar, säger USA:s storstjärna Cutter Gauthier.”

English

There is revenge anger in the USA before the final.

Against the Swedish players.

- They stole the gold medals from our necks, says USA superstar Cutter Gauthier.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
From Aftonbladet

“They stole the gold from us”

Det är revansch-ilska i USA inför finalen.

Mot de svenska spelarna.

– De stal guldmedaljerna från våra nackar, säger USA:s storstjärna Cutter Gauthier.”

English

There is revenge anger in the USA before the final.

Against the Swedish players.

- They stole the gold medals from our necks, says USA superstar Cutter Gauthier.

Yeah, the US should’ve won in 22 Sweden should’ve won in 23 it’s all even.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sweden will be absolutely gutted if they lose another final. I just want to see a good close game, then OT.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
This has all the makings of a WJC classic. Two evenly matched powerhouses with different styles but both loaded with future NHLers.

Reactions: Statsy

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
2022 WJ18 Final: USA vs SWE
2023 WJ18 Final: USA vs SWE
2024 WJ20 Final: USA vs SWE

Everybody predicted this final and everybody was correct

One last dance between the generation Lekkerimaki-Ostlund-Ohgren, Havelid brothers, etc vs the generation Gauthier, Snuggerud, Smith line etc

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Most US players go NCAA route so they're in university and can go to the World Junior. Most NCAA route players stay in university for 2 seasons.
One should add that in university (= NCAA) you are not allowed to sign a professional contract. So when you're in the NCAA, your NHL team has nothing to say about it.

Major Junior (= CHL) players, however, can sign NHL contracts and move more freely between CHL, AHL and NHL. That's why, for example, teams like Boston and Buffalo can let Poitras and Kulich go, whereas other teams don't release their players (Bedard, Fantilli, Nemec, etc)

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
One should add that in university (= NCAA) you are not allowed to sign a professional contract. So when you're in the NCAA, your NHL team has nothing to say about it.

Major Junior (= CHL) players, however, can sign NHL contracts and move more freely between CHL, AHL and NHL. That's why, for example, teams like Boston and Buffalo can let Poitras and Kulich go, whereas other teams don't release their players (Bedard, Fantilli, Nemec, etc)
Not entirely correct.

CHL players can move "freely" between CHL & NHL.

Kulich was drafted out of Europe, not the CHL. Where you can move "freely" between Europe & the NHL. For prospects drafted out of Sweden if you're drafted in the 1st round then the AHL is also in that "freely" pot, idk the restrictions for Czechia irt the AHL, if it's limited to the 1st round, that is.

I write "freely" because it's not truly freely.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
US wins - Fowler and Hutson get gold - win for me.

Sweden wins - Sweden gets their first gold since 2012 (?) and first on home ice - win for hockey.

Seems like a win-win situation from where I'm standing

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Damn it was great to see Swedes losing 2014.
Would've been so cool to repeat that now in Gothenburg 10 yrs later.

Swedes took that loss so badly at they to take physchological crisis help to get over it.
I truly hope that happens again with USA.

I was cheering for Finland in the bronze game prior to reading your childish posts.

Up the Czechia!

Reactions: helax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad