USA VS. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Ouch! The US is definitely improving with guys like Parise, Montoya, and Whitney; but it's hardly fair comparing them to Ovechkin and Malkin.

degroat*

US has 'more' young talent.

Russia has 'better' young talent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stich said:
US has 'more' young talent.

Russia has 'better' young talent.

I would disagree. I think overall the U.S. has more and better young talent. We just don't have a guy in Ovechkin's class. I'm not sure what to make of Malkin yet.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
The way I see it, the US has the advantage on defense and in goal, while Russia has the edge upfront due to Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Zherdev level players. That's really the only thing the US is not producing at this point, but it looks like they have one in 2006 with Kessel. Otherwise, they seem to be producing defensemen almost at the same rate as Canada, and in goal I would rate them third, behind only Canada and Finland.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Rabid Ranger said:
I would disagree. I think overall the U.S. has more and better young talent. We just don't have a guy in Ovechkin's class. I'm not sure what to make of Malkin yet.

Yep, the US doesn't have a player in Ovechkin's class....or Kovalchuk's class, or Zherdev's class, or Malkin's class, or even Frolov's class. Even Semin is better than any US prospect apart from maybe Parise and Suter.
The only place Russia is seriously lacking is in goal, although given the chance I think Bryzgalov could be a pretty decent NHL'er.
As a whole, I'd agree that the US has more young talent but Russia has better young talent.

This is proven when looking at junior competitions between the two over the last few years (U-20, U-18, U-17, etc.). Apart from a select few games, the US continuously looses to the Russians.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zine said:
Yep, the US doesn't have a player in Ovechkin's class....or Kovalchuk's class, or Zherdev's class, or Malkin's class, or even Frolov's class. Even Semin is better than any US prospect apart from maybe Parise and Suter.
The only place Russia is seriously lacking is in goal, although given the chance I think Bryzgalov could be a pretty decent NHL'er.
As a whole, I'd agree that the US has more young talent but Russia has better young talent.

This is proven when looking at junior competitions between the two over the last few years (U-20, U-18, U-17, etc.). Apart from a select few games, the US continuously looses to the Russians.

I don't have a problem with admitting Russia has a distinct advantage when it comes to young forwards, and forward prospects. That being said, I think the U.S. has a clear advantage in goal and on defense, and since it's a team game, those advantages are going to become more apparant over time.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Postman said:
The way I see it, the US has the advantage on defense and in goal, while Russia has the edge upfront due to Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Zherdev level players. That's really the only thing the US is not producing at this point, but it looks like they have one in 2006 with Kessel. Otherwise, they seem to be producing defensemen almost at the same rate as Canada, and in goal I would rate them third, behind only Canada and Finland.

And russia comes with another one in 2006 : Alexander Vasynov ! Everybody talk abou Kessel but hey what about Vasynov ? Hes junior stats are simply amazing !

We have to see............... the next U17/U18 will show it .

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Zine said:

You're seriously overrating Semin.

Zetterberg4Captain*

No contest. Russia definately has better prospects then the US

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Russia has MUCH better offensive prospects. US has better defense and goaltending prospects however.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mobey said:

There are many a Caps fan who would take Semin over Parise in a heart beat. He has all-star written all over him. His talent level is sick, and he's faster than Zherdev.

My vote goes to Russia. We're forgetting about Anikeenko.

degroat*

EroCaps said:
There are many a Caps fan who would take Semin over Parise in a heart beat. He has all-star written all over him. His talent level is sick, and he's faster than Zherdev.

What I bolded above is the key to your statement.

eatwake

Jul 14, 2004
Stich said:
What I bolded above is the key to your statement.

that's because caps fans are the ones that have consistently seen him play...

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
EroCaps said:

Conversely, there are NO Devils fans who would take Semin over Parise.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ofhdhdy said:
No contest. Russia definately has better prospects then the US

How is it "no contest"? Are you telling me a few (meaning around three to four) forwards and forward prospects seals the deal? Slippery slope IMO.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Offence: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zherdev, Frolov, Chistov, Semin, Semenov, Chubarov, Koltsov,(blr), Radulov, Grigorienko, Perezhogin, Afanasenkov, Vorobiev, Kostitsyn (blr), Zinovjev, Suglobov, Svitov, Smirnov, Tunik, Mikhnov, Shishkanov, Shkotov............

Defence: Volchenkov, Bykov, Tyutin, Babchuk, Anikeenko, Lyamin, Kozmatchev Grebeshkov, Korneev, Kondratiev, Grot, Ezhov...

Goal: Barulin, Bryzgalov.

It's a pretty nice group, IMO the US can't match this right now, at least up front.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Slick Nick said:
It's a pretty nice group, IMO the US can't match this right now, at least up front.

Upfront is the only area Russia has an advantage, for sure, due to players like Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Zherdev. The U.S. has plenty of depth upfront, and not a bad group at all highlighted by Parise, O'Sullivan, and Schremp. They would be on par with Russia's next tier, IMO. The U.S. just lacks that superstar level forward prospect.

However, the U.S. has the advange on defense like Russia has upfront, and in net... it's not even close.

Defense: Leopold, Suter, Stuart, Komisarek, Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Gleason, Johnson, Lashoff, Macias, Ballard, Tanabe, Hainsey, Jillson, Martin, Hale, Liles, Thelen, Richmond, Wisniewski

Goal: DiPietro, Bacashihua, Montoya, Howard, Schneider

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Forwards: Russia
Defense: United States
Goaltending: United States

Russia has a clear advantage in forwards, it's not even close right now.
The US has better defensmen for sure.
Goaltending isn't even close evein with Bryzgalov for Russia. I see him and Montoya about on par, and DiPietro is WELL ahead of both.

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Mobey said:
Although I have not seen Parise outside of the World Juniors, I will say that I did not see him come close to the skill I've seen from Semin in the NHL. Semin has already stunned a few NHL defensemen. He's got crazy moves and skating skill, impressive speed, and a knack for coming out of a scrum in the corners with the puck on his stick. His passing is hugely underrated also. Who knows who will eventually be the more valuable player, but putting Semin in the same class as Parise (or even favoring him) is certainly not overrating him.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Russia is the clear winner up front. The US is the clear winner in goal. I'd give the advantage to the US on defense as they are producing more quality defensemen even though the talent levels are pretty similar IMO (except for Suter).

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
EroCaps said:

i don't know why you mention zherdev, but zherdev's twice as sick as semin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad