GDT: USA vs Norway

member 305909

Norway is in a boring position in international hockey. Namely, they have to overachiever to reach QFs of any worlds tournament and that doesn't happen often. 2012 was the last time.

However, they are comfortably good enough to avoid relegation when relegations happen.

When there were 12 teams in the worlds Norway had to struggle to stay up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Norway is in a boring position in international hockey. Namely, they have to overachiever to reach QFs of any worlds tournament and that doesn't happen often. 2012 was the last time.

However, they are comfortably good enough to avoid relegation when relegations happen.

When there were 12 teams in the worlds Norway had to struggle to stay up.

Norway is not comfortably good enough to anything. Normally, as a Norwegian, you sit there and hope "please don't get relegated." You watch the coach tell the reporters "we are aiming for the QF", and you think he is a really good actor this one, they seem to bite. Or it's a friendly crowd.

Anyhow, the fight to get to the Olympics are also there, and every point will count in the ranking, and anyone you can beat will be good for you at the next qualifying tournament, where you normally ends up. You also know the official sports- Norway hates hockey, but they have to pretend the respect it, as long as the team is in the A-tournament. In particualar they have to pretend they respect it when the team does manage to qualify for the Olympics. Which you also know the official sports association really hates, because they only want to send winners, and not spend money on people who are true Olympians (the most important isn't to win, but to participate.)

So I don't fully agree with your take.

member 305909

I seemed to recall that Norway has once been to the tournament even when there were only 8 teams and I checked and my memory served me right.

Indeed, that was in 1990. They had no chance of staying up but being there was an achievement in itself.

They returned to the top level two years later when the tournament was expanded to 12 teams.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I seemed to recall that Norway has once been to the tournament even when there were only 8 teams and I checked and my memory served me right.

Indeed, that was in 1990. They had no chance of staying up but being there was an achievement in itself.

They returned to the top level two years later when the tournament was expanded to 12 teams.
Yes, good for Norway, that they expanded the number of teams.
Back in 1956, we actually ended in fourth place, I have read. Then in the 60's, when Sweden and Finland started to build rinks, Norway built swimming pools in schools. Sad for our hockey program. In the 80's, most of the pools where shut down, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad