GDT: USA - Latvia bronze game

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
The Latvians have always been the best hockey fans on the planet. I'm so happy for them that I intend to spend the rest of the day sporting my game worn Kaspars Daugavins Ottawa Senators jersey.
It's more of an elemental event once a year. Not really the best though, it's really a nice myth but I can go with it. At least somebody thinks we're best at something.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
2nd thing i love about this is the massive middle finger to the "bronze medal game is futile"-crowd and to the "best-on-best purists" who claim this doesn't mean anything to anyone. WRONG!
I agree, and quite often during WCH the bronze games are much more entertaining than the game for the gold. It's not the Olympics.

Reactions: Zero Pucks Given

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is easy to feel happy for Latvia watching that celebration. It means so much to them.
Good for Latvia but this is far from a real world championship- more like local tournament
This is USA 4team and Canada 6 team
Instaed of silly all star game have world's in a 10 day or 2 week span then

Reactions: Mehar

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Good for Latvia but this is far from a real world championship- more like local tournament
This is USA 4team and Canada 6 team
Instaed of silly all star game have world's in a 10 day or 2 week span then
Also it sucks that Russia is not allowed to participate, making it far from a real tournament.
Is USA a hockey power amymore? :)
Congrats to Latvia. But we all know what would have happened in a true best on best tournament game between Latvia vs. USA. People should not be downplaying how great of a hockey country USA is based on this one loss with their D Team.

This tournament is like the Stanley Cup for Europeans. People in North America do not care about this tournament, which is a shame though. Look at the quality of players that declined Invites to Team USA and Team Canada. People should not be saying USA is not a hockey power anymore based on this one loss, and yesterday's heartbreaking loss to Germany.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Also it sucks that Russia is not allowed to participate, making it far from a real tournament.

Congrats to Latvia. But we all know what would have happened in a true best on best tournament game between Latvia vs. USA. People should not be downplaying how great of a hockey country USA is based on this one loss with their D Team.

This tournament is like the Stanley Cup for Europeans. People in North America do not care about this tournament, which is a shame though. Look at the quality of players that declined Invites to Team USA and Team Canada. People should not be saying USA is not a hockey power anymore based on this one loss, and yesterday's heartbreaking loss to Germany.
USA downfall was overall team was too small
And Bonino dissapeared some
Lane Hutson was real good
Wondering if a change to forward might be interesting

kirppu

Jan 5, 2006

Team Sweden say hello, Salt Lake 2002.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Finns have become a major hockey power but there was a time when you guys were the lovable underdogs. That time has long passed.

Latvia is unlikely to ever become a major hockey power like Finland, but as a Finn I’m sure you might able to see a bit of yourselves in them.

Great fans and hopefully they enjoy this
It's almost hard to overstate how big the impact of 1995 world championship was for Finland as a nation. I think this bronze will be just as sweet for a small country such as Latvia. I'm super happy for them. It's going to inspire Latvians on and off the ice. Hoping for lots of future success for them.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The bottom three in the other group were also not very good. Better than the bottom 3 in America’s group, but the US also beat Sweden, Finland, the Czechs and - in the group - Germany, which are now in the final… The Americans had a great tournament until the semis..
I thought we were in the weaker group... 2 of the 3 medalists were in our group! Who knew!? We have silver and bronze or gold and bronze.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finns have become a major hockey power but there was a time when you guys were the lovable underdogs. That time has long passed.

Latvia is unlikely to ever become a major hockey power like Finland, but as a Finn I’m sure you might able to see a bit of yourselves in them.

Great fans and hopefully they enjoy this
I don't think we can match Latvians as fans even if our marketplace is full of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad