USA Hockey Coaching Certification - Opinion

1dude

Aug 26, 2008
California
Looking for your view on coaches on the ice and in the locker room who have not attained their Level 1 CEP by 01 January.

Is it a big deal to have coaches that have not been certified on the ice and around kids that are under 18?

Parents, Coaches or those with a valid opinion is appreciated.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I am not sure what specific concerns you are alluding to. If they are abuse related issues (bullying, etc...) they should be covered by Safe Sport training which should be required for all participating in coaching.

In terms of CEP training, you probably could have a parent help out on ice during practice, but it would not be my first choice. With that being said, if you have no other options, I guess you could consider it. From my understanding the coach could not be on the bench during games. Our organization is concervative on this issue so the coach would not be allowed to participate without the CEP training. I’m not sure how other teams or organizations feel about this issue.

Not sure if this helps.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I think the biggest concerns would be insurance and background checks.
for the insurance part imagine you have a friend come help out on the ice and a kid wipes out taking the coach with him causing a serious head injury. that's an insurance liability. for background checks, imagine you have a someone helping out that you don't know very well (or heck, someone you thought you knew well) and they are accused by a player of something inappropriate in the locker room and you later find out they've got a similar incident in their past. that would be beyond a disaster.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
The insurance coverage for the whole team is voided if there is a coach at practice or on the bench for games that hasn't fulfilled the USA hockey requirements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad