PGT: USA - Gold, Canada - Silver, Russia - Bronze

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Boy they sure did waste no time taking away the World Juniors forum here and moving all the topics to International Tournaments.

Even the Draft or Stanley Cup Playoff boards last a few days past the final event.

It's always been in the International Tournaments forum. HF just renamed it and put it at the top of the main page for the WJCs.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Outstanding game. Both teams gave it their all and it sucks that someone had to lose.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
As great a game as that was, it would have been spectacular to have McDavid, Marner, Matthews and Eichel in that game.

was not eligible. too old, but yes, all of the others would have been welcomed and increased the star appeal of this tournament.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
So Toronto fans are mad that Matthews tweeted support for team USA and Canada fans are annoyed that the format of the tournament because the game was decided in a shootout. What happened to all the condescending posters telling team USA fans to stop crying about the officials and that IIHF refs always call games tight, etc.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Congratulations USA - great game.

Only Canadian game I missed was the Latvia one.
The Americans ability to tune out the crowd and not lose determination was impressive. Being up by two goals twice, Canada didn't deserve to win.

A shot of the Canadian bench with their time out with 6 mins left to go, the coaches were talking but nobody was listening. Pan over the American bench and the players were receiving instructions during Canada's TO. I was perplexed by that.

Good tourney. Still a proud of our boys.
Until next year

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
was not eligible. too old, but yes, all of the others would have been welcomed and increased the star appeal of this tournament.

I didn't realize that, assumed if they were from the same draft that would make them eligible in the WJHC.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I didn't realize that, assumed if they were from the same draft that would make them eligible in the WJHC.

no, it's birth year not draft year.

Eichel is a '96.

This year's tournament was for '97s and younger. therefore as of now, for next year's tournament in Buffalo, all '97 born players have aged out. It will be '98s and younger.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They should have just kept the 4 on 4 format for OT. That game definitely would have been decided in 20 minutes.

I was saying to myself during OT I was gonna be disappointed if this went to a shootout no matter who won.

My feelings exactly! What a great hockey game, it had it all.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Boy they sure did waste no time taking away the World Juniors forum here and moving all the topics to International Tournaments.

Even the Draft or Stanley Cup Playoff boards last a few days past the final event.

Cracked me up too :biglaugh:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It's not until it takes Olympic gold from Canada, which is looking like it's going to be a near impossible feat with how well organized Canada is.

If it was a best of 7 series for the gold medal - I might agree. But a 1 game elimination in the medal round increases the likelihood that a fluky game could happen.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Congrats US. That was one of he best junior games I have seen.
The USNTDP is a resounding success story and the future of USA hockey will only produce more and more top quality hockey players.

Four times Canada has faced the US in a gold medal game, 3 times you guys have won gold.

The pupil learned well from the teacher, now the pupil is on par with the teacher. (I do not mean that in a condescending manner)

Good article from the Toronto Star.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...otout-us-takes-gold-at-the-world-juniors.html

Again, congrats, we'll see you in Buffalo.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Absolutely incredible game. Only hockey I find more exciting is the Stanley Cup Finals. Amazing how well these groups of teenagers execute with the hopes of their country on their shoulder. Especially the Canadian kids playing at home. Just a ton of pressure. I know I couldn't do it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Seeing the hate Matthews is getting on Twitter for supporting USA is hilarious

Leaf fans mad, keep it up and he'll be chased out just like Kessel

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
What an amazing game it was. Congrats to the Americans from this Canadian for winning. Such a hard way to lose the championship game though in that shootout. It looked like the Canadian players were really nervous in the shootout.

Parsons looks great for America and I'm glad the Flames have him!

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
So Toronto fans are mad that Matthews tweeted support for team USA and Canada fans are annoyed that the format of the tournament because the game was decided in a shootout. What happened to all the condescending posters telling team USA fans to stop crying about the officials and that IIHF refs always call games tight, etc.

I'm a Toronto fan and don't give a crap about Matthews tweet. Its his country, he better support them. plus he has a lot of friends on the team.

As for the shootout, it's garbage no matter who wins. I get it during an 8 game regular season, but for a gold medal it stinks.

That was an amazing game and didn't want to see it end. OT until we have a winner would have been incredible, no matter who took it.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

A coincidence, I'm sure....

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Great Gold Medal game, even better tournament. The future of Hockey is bright. Love watching these teens play with their hearts on their sleeves before all emotion is beaten out of them by NHL coaching.

Congrats Team America, the NTDP has done an amazing job the last 15 years or so. That was a hell of team that just beat us. Shootout has absolutely no place in a game like that though.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
Its like playing that friend in chel that you dust up all the time so you hot dog it to make it interesting. That was basically Canada. Gotta let the other countries win sometimes too I guess.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Great Gold Medal game, even better tournament. The future of Hockey is bright. Love watching these teens play with their hearts on their sleeves before all emotion is beaten out of them by NHL coaching.

Congrats Team America, the NTDP has done an amazing job the last 15 years or so. That was a hell of team that just beat us. Shootout has absolutely no place in a game like that though.

Agree that the future is bright. It's a good sign for North American hockey that we got gold and silver while missing so much NHL talent.

Agree also on the shootout. Dont get me wrong....I'll take the win :yo: but I wish it could've ended like the Carlson game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad