USA and Canada developmental systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW8

Feb 10, 2004
After hearing the announcers for the USA vs Belarus game mentioning how the US system was different than canada's I was just wondering how they both worked?

I know nothing about the USA's system so if someone could explain it to me that would be great.

For Canada's I think it's you're drafted into the CHL from rep leagues(AAA) then drafted to an NHL club from there.. but what relation does Junior A and B have to that? and what age are players drafted into the CHL?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
well 1 big difference is that guys playing canadian juniors start at 15/16 but guys going to us colleges don't start there till they are 17/18...and then the junior guys turn pro between 18-20, but college guys can stay in school for 4 years and turn pro at 21-22...

so many times the junior guys are more advanced at a younger age, but the ncaa players are more mature when they turn pro..(you can argue which is better)

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The basic fundamental differnece is this.

Canada's system tries to get as many prospects out there as possible.

America's system is basically getting the best prospects together and working on them (known as the hotbed system).

Canada's works because there are so many players, the U.S. works because they maximize the skill of the fewer players they have.

masked man

Nov 29, 2003
Canadian Hockey receives Millions of dollars from the NHL to develope player which allows a broader base (more players involved) the USA Hockey recieves nothing they are on their own - This is a major difference.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
I'd like to know what you think could be the reasons as for why Quebec isn't producing as many quality forwards for the junior team or the NHL as the West provinces? (quebec-born players, not imports)

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
NYR469 said:
guys going to us colleges don't start there till they are 17/18...and then the junior guys turn pro between 18-20

Its pretty damn hard to go to college and play hockey when you are 17. 99% are 18-19

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
rahan said:
I'd like to know what you think could be the reasons as for why Quebec isn't producing as many quality forwards for the junior team or the NHL as the West provinces? (quebec-born players, not imports)
One theory I have is that being a goalie is a more glorified position in Quebec Culture thanks to Roy and Brodeur. So if all the kids want to be goalies, only the best athletes will be any good.

Therefore, the kids that could normally be good forwards, spend too much time trying to be goalies??? :dunno:

Just and idea...

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
masked man said:
Canadian Hockey receives Millions of dollars from the NHL to develope player which allows a broader base (more players involved) the USA Hockey recieves nothing they are on their own - This is a major difference.

The NHLPA contributes approximately $1M to the US NTDP each year. It contributes nothing to the CHL.

Macman

May 15, 2004
masked man said:

All teams receive money from the NHL when one of their players is drafted. It doesn't matter if that player is from the CHL, Europe or the U.S.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Roughneck said:
The basic fundamental differnece is this.

Canada's works because there are so many players, the U.S. works because they maximize the skill of the fewer players they have.

As of this year, there are more kids playing hockey in the US than there are in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad