GDT: USA (4) vs. Russia (3) • Semifinals • Jan. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
The fact of the matter is, Russia had 3 separate opportunities to win this shoot out. Twice they were a save away from victory, and once they were a goal away. They came up 0 for 3. Really, anybody who looks past that and tries to blame some confusion in the rules is just expressing sour grapes.

How is that even relevant if they would have won after 3?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Then why does it have to specify bronze and gold medal games? Wouldn't "playoff" suffice and encompass all of them?

the IIHF likes to distinguish those games as Gold Medal and Bronze Medal. I don't think adding that in there suddenly negates the QF and SF games as playoff games.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
When even the organization don't know if it's 3 or 5, it's a little bit annoying. You can hear the horn after the 3rd shot missed by USA.

2 lucky bounces for USA in the regulation. lucky ********

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
hahaha, this ****** IIHF site just changed the rules about 15 seconds ago

"Three different shooters from each team - five in playoff and medal games - will take alternate shots, until a decisive goal is scored."

Can you imagine how that must have gone down? "Hey you, yeah you new intern over there fix the text quickly, I dont know how to edit homepages!!!"

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In reality, we should have just kept playing overtime and then there would be no issue.

But that's none of my business.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The team that took the first shot during the penalty-shot shootout for
the first three rounds will shoot second for the fourth and subsequent
shots of the sudden-death format until a winner is determined.

there was no change!!!

The rules actually state that teams keep the same side for the shootout as overtime.

They changed after the 5th shot, although neither team seemed to object to this.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
When even the organization don't know if it's 3 or 5, it's a little bit annoying. You can hear the horn after the 3rd shot missed by USA.

That's how hockey is. People need to chill, it was an amazing game.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
But why? It causes unnecessary ambiguity

Only if 1 decides that it means that the QF/SF aren't playoff games but doesn't take the time to notice that the only other category listed is round robin/preliminary games and thus there'd be no other category to list those games in under so they must be considered playoff games.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
How is that even relevant if they would have won after 3?
Yeach, if we lived in a parallel universe where the rules were not changed Russia would have won. But they didn't and your post doesn't make more sense because a website wasn't updated. Teams and referees were informed and while some media and fans were confused (mostly due to some media providing incorrect details) it doesn't mean Russia "would have won".

IIHF has a horrid website but the rules were changed. Deal with it.:laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

When you outshoot and outpossess your opponent, you're more likely to have a puck bounce in, especially in playoff games.

That's how corsi works.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
:laugh::laugh: what a terrible argument. If you watched the goals scored on him, you'd know that he's literally had no chance to stop any of them.

If a team got 10 2 on 0's on Parsons and scored 7 goals against him (a save percentage of .300%), would you call Parsons bad? No.

He stole the game against Switzerland for them and was the difference maker in the 1st game against Russia.

Not to mention he won player of the game today.

He's earned it.

Not to mention he's won 21 straight playoff games :)

Don't blame me. Blame the stats. Woll has a .935 save percentage, versus Parson's .917? (It's a little lower now). Let's not pretend Parsons ran away with it. Why do the other teams keep getting 5 on 0's when Parsons is in net and blueline shots with Woll in net? :sarcasm:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
hahaha, this ****** IIHF site just changed the rules about 15 seconds ago

"Three different shooters from each team - five in playoff and medal games - will take alternate shots, until a decisive goal is scored."

Can you imagine how that must have gone down? "Hey you, yeah you new intern over there fix the text quickly, I dont know how to edit homepages!!!"

Well the website was out of date. The rule change happened in May, in Russia. Literally anybody on Russia who didn't know should be fired. There is no excuse for them not knowing the rule. That said, I'm pretty sure they did know the rule since I didn't see anybody celebrating after the stop on the third US attempt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The team that took the first shot during the penalty-shot shootout for
the first three rounds will shoot second for the fourth and subsequent
shots of the sudden-death format until a winner is determined.

there was no change!!!

There was a change after the 1st 5... Outdated info. No Conspiracy.

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
I'd prefer it if instead of doing a shootout, they played a second 10 minute overtime period 3 on 3, if by then they still can't find a winner, then a penalty shootout is necessary.

It's just a shame to have such a great game decided by a lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad