Olympics: US Takes only 9 of Top 20 Scorers

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Has anyone said anything about why Okposo didn't make the team? It annoys me to no end that he isn't on team usa.

I can't think of one reason that he shouldn't be there. He can play in a scoring role on the top two lines or grind it out with the best of them on the bottom 2 lines.

It was a numbers game. He wasn't going to make the team in a top 9 capacity, so he was competing with the following for a 4th line spot:

Backes
Callahan
Drury
Byfuglien
Gaustad

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It was a numbers game. He wasn't going to make the team in a top 9 capacity, so he was competing with the following for a 4th line spot:

Backes
Callahan
Drury
Byfuglien
Gaustad
Thats the thing. Okposo fits into the top 9 IMO and beats out all of those players listed but Gaustad and thats because of PG's ability on face offs.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
That's fine and dandy, but you're ignoring the fact that at the time the roster was named, Connolly was playing horribly with little sign of life.

I have to agree with you.

All I want to point out is that the Players who will play for the US in Vancouver played great a few weeks ago. But it should mather how they play NOW. And Connolly is playing great NOW.

I think there should always be 2-3 free roster spots for post-slating for players who played bad earlier the year an have bounced back post-announcement.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
I have to agree with you.

All I want to point out is that the Players who will play for the US in Vancouver played great a few weeks ago. But it should mather how they play NOW. And Connolly is playing great NOW.

I think there should always be 2-3 free roster spots for post-slating for players who played bad earlier the year an have bounced back post-announcement.

I definitely don't agree with this statement Connolly, Guerin and Okposo were performing consistently at a higher level than Drury, Backes and Callahan. Same can be said for Keith Yandle or Ryan Whitney when compared Jack Johnson.

Connolly, Okposo and Yandle have really elevated their game's recently and are looking really good, and Guerin has continued to play well.

I don't think Burke will be kicking himself that he included the likes of Drury, Backes, Johnson and Callahan but it will definitely come back to haunt him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I definitely don't agree with this statement Connolly, Guerin and Okposo were performing consistently at a higher level than Drury, Backes and Callahan. Same can be said for Keith Yandle or Ryan Whitney when compared Jack Johnson.

Connolly, Okposo and Yandle have really elevated their game's recently and are looking really good, and Guerin has continued to play well.

I don't think Burke will be kicking himself that he included the likes of Drury, Backes, Johnson and Callahan but it will definitely come back to haunt him.

You can add Backes to the list of guys who have elevated his game ...4+ checks per game and a .70 ppg over the last 2 months.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
top 9 = Scorers

bottom 3= checkers

Really i kind of agree, this is a tournament where the average player will be highly skilled, thus you need the majority of your squad to be skilled players.

Really you want your whole forward to be top 6 offensemen in their respective teams, whilst your defensive corps should all be top 4 defensemen.

You really want 2 very reliable and skilled lines backed up by a solid line of powerforwards and finally line which features versatile yet skilled pplayers.

In defensemen mobility is key, you want guys that can handle the puck and skate, with guys who can hit but can also skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad