Tennis: US Open 2022

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm looking so forward to this match! I like both players and expect Alcaraz will win.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First set goes pretty much according to script, Carlos winning 6-4.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Liked Ruud's resolve in that second set.

Began the match thinking I was firmly in the Alcaraz camp, but I wouldn't mind Ruud winning, either.

Much better final so far than the women's.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is more resistance than I was expecting from Ruud. Good for him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The kid is playing like trash in this match, with all due respect to Ruud. Fatigue seems to finally playing a factor.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The kid is playing like trash in this match, with all due respect to Ruud. Fatigue seems to finally playing a factor.

Alcarez is a supremely talented young man. All due respect to Ruud as well, I just don’t think he has “it”. The “choker” Sinner was a much bigger challenge.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
First major, #1 in the world and a many million dollar check for his work and he didn't even have his best day today. Quite a day at the office for Carlos and the first of many majors I'd imagine.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
When do the definitely not premature comparisons to Nadal (due to country of origin) begin?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
So much class. Two very likeable players. Alcaraz is the more talented player, but I think Ruud has it in him two win a Grand Slam tournament some day.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That was just a great ride for two weeks, most of it thanks to the amazing play of the new world #1.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
There really was little doubt who would win watching this match, it just felt inevitable. Despite all the time on court he didn't look fatigued at all, oh to be 19 :laugh: If he can remain healthy.. the sky's the limit.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There really was little doubt who would win watching this match, it just felt inevitable. Despite all the time on court he didn't look fatigued at all, oh to be 19 :laugh: If he can remain healthy.. the sky's the limit.
I thought the latter stages, before the breaker, in the third set were pretty dicey. Ruud at one point was one point away from going up two sets to one. I wasn't certain about the outcome then or in the rest of that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I thought the latter stages, before the breaker, in the third set were pretty dicey. Ruud at one point was one point away from going up two sets to one. I wasn't certain about the outcome then.
Even then, I felt it was inevitable. I really only get that feeling watching Novak these days, which is saying something. Kid has GOAT potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was surprised Alcaraz won. I was expecting the inevitable letdown you see from many sporting prodigies on their first big stage. He’s only 19.

That he won this match rather comfortably speaks to his mentality. Great to see. First of many, and when I say that, it’s not the cliche first of many that you hear for everyone. If he stays healthy, it will be many.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This was such a fun match! What I love about them and Sinner are they don't play boring, retriever tennis but instead are aggressive and hit angles and lines. More volleying as well. Thoroughly entertaining and quality tennis and such likeable players.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Alcaraz is now the second favourite to win the French Open after Nadal and ahead of Djokovic.

Personally I think he'll be a multi-slam winner and world #1 within the next 12-18 months.

Longer-term the sky's the limit because there is no one under the age of 35 that is even close to him.

I've got a number of futures on the betting market on both Swiatek and Alcaraz. Been following tennis for almost 30 years and this truly feels like a changing of the guard on both sides, so I'm fairly confident that

1) At least one of them will win the French Open this year, and
2) At least one of them will win one of the US Open this year or the Australian Open next year

Updated predictions after the 2022 French Open.

Nadal: 23 ('23 FO)
Djokovic: 21 ('22 Wimby)
Federer: 20

I've got either Medvedev or Alcaraz winning the 22 USO, and starting with that major I expect a changing of the guard from the GOAT generation to the next/sunshine generation of players born close to or after the millennium.

Final thoughts post-US Open:

- It won't be easy for Swiatek to maintain her form the reminder of the season and replicating her results next year will be even harder, but I really hope that we'll see an extended stay at the top from her
- As I said after the French Open this year, I expect that Djokovic and Nadal may have one of two slams left in them, but IMO the changing of the guard has begun (though the tennis world post-big-3 is in good hands)

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The two things that stick out from Alcaraz's matches from the round of 16 onward is A} how well he returned both first and second serve, the quality of which I did not expect; and B) his net play (he was 37 for 45 today, 76%) which was also as sparkling and as frequent in earlier matches against Tiafoe and Sinner. His volleying ability will make life miserable for any player not able to return the favour on offense (virtually everyone but Cressy who has significant problems elsewhere) and on any player used to standing way in the backcourt to return serve.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Nice to see that as the Big 3 are getting older and two of them may soon be retiring from the sport, that were is a wave of next generation talent -- starting with Alcarez -- that should have the sport in good hands for the next two decades.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Carlos Alcaraz is the first genuine potential legend of men's tennis to emerge since Novak Djokovic nearly 20 years ago

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Carlos Alcaraz is the first genuine potential legend of men's tennis to emerge since Novak Djokovic nearly 20 years ago
I think Sinner isn’t far off Alcaraz to be fair. May not be another big 3 but I imagine Sinner/Alcaraz will be highly entertaining to watch for the next 10-15 years.

Reactions: MsMeow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad