US Open 2020

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Didn't see this coming today, but Zverev fails to serve out the second on his first attempt.

He'll get another chance after an easy hold from Thiem.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sascha chokes away a service game, now 5-3. This does not resemble what a US Open final should look like.

By the skin of his teeth, Sascha just barely manages to close out the second set.

Last edited:
Reactions: umbertovanek

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, if this follows the Carreno-Busta scenario, Thiem wins in five sets. At this rate, it could happen.

Burt for the life of him, Thiem can't get out of his own way, giving up his third straight early break of the match. The title is now on Zverev's racket, 2-1. Uneasy the head that wears the crown....

Trying to nurse the ball with slow shots, Zverev can't convert this time, 2-2. They are both basket cases at the moment. Somebody's gotta take control, doesn't he?

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Third set to Thiem, 6-4. Not so much him taking it as Zverev getting tighter and giving it away.

Fourth set: Best tennis of the match so far from Thiem, Sascha holding up his end of the bargain better also, 4-3 on serve....another poor service game from Zverev puts Thiem up 5-3 and holds serve easily for the second set. One set to go with Thiem in the driver's seat now, at least for awhile.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Suspense not being his cup of tea, Sascha immediately coughs up a break, Now the match is on Thiem's racket. Heavy is the head....blah, blah, blah. I think if might have this in the bag, though.

Well, bless my soul, I'll be damned, Dominik can't give it back fast enough, 1-1. I still think that he is going to choke somewhat less, but I have nothing in reality to go on given his play.

Zverev breaks for 5-3, and then blows his hold with four unforced errors, 5-4. Maybe we need a tie breaker to end this.

Now Thiem up a break, 6-5.

Naturally he can't hold and we have our breaker.

Last edited:

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I left in the 4th. Can't believe it's going 5, oh actually, yes I can.
Neither one wants the hot potato trophy. I don't want it, you take it. Repeat forever. It's 8:00! 4+ hours! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This is why the Big 3 has been great for as long as they've been. Two generations of players represented in this Finals and it looks like neither one can grab it by the horns.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A limping Thiem can't serve out a 6-4 lead in the breaker, now 6 all

Thiem wins 8-6.

Never been so glad to get a Grand Slam championship match over.

Reactions: MsMeow

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Unbelievable final set. That match gave a new meaning to "War of Attrition".
Full credit to both guys for toughing it out, I knew Thiem had it in him but Zverev surprised the hell out of me in a very good way.
The only shame is that there wasn't a full house of rabid fans creating that amazing New York atmosphere. Unforgettable match either way in an effort sense.

Reactions: kihei

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Great match, great tennis but man it sucks that this is how the new generation finally breaks through....

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Well someone had to win, too bad.

Hoping these guys can be stronger mentally in the future, having gone through this debacle.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I turned off the tv when the 5th set tiebreaker was tied 6-6. I don't know or care who won. I'm exclusively a women's fan now after half a century of watching tennis and being a fan of the game.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I turned off the tv when the 5th set tiebreaker was tied 6-6. I don't know or care who won. I'm exclusively a women's fan now after half a century of watching tennis and being a fan of the game.

I really want to see one of these guys take a hard court slam over Novak or Rafa. Without it, the slam win just feels a bit hollow as a fan, so I was like you during the tiebreak.

I've been waiting for a passing of the torch moment to happen for several years now, and I continue to wait for it.

Reactions: MsMeow

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Them shouldn't have won this but did because Zverev's gonna Zverev.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just watched a replay package of Osaka and Azarenka (with the sound on--I forgot how loud Vika is), Such a great match with such great shot making in comparison to that lame duck of a match that we saw this afternoon. What a contrast in execution and nerve.

Reactions: Hadoop

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Awful match, but happy for Thiem. He's (kinda) deserved a slam win by now.

A day later I think I was a bit harsh on the match yesterday. While both wilted under the big stage at various stages both also deserved to be there and played well as times, and as you implied Thiem would have had multiple slams by now were it not for the big 3.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Ended up missing the end of the men's final, but it did feel like the match was turning a bit when Thiem took the 3rd set.

The most amazing thing to come from that match: a man born in the 90's finally won a major.

Legitimately thought the drought could be permanent if Djokovic and Nadal carried their strengths until the next gen kids finally took one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad