US hockey benefiting from former european NHLers sons now to

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Yan Stastny, the son of Quebec Nordiques legend Peter Stastny,Stastny was born in Quebec City and lived here until the age of seven.

I think this is a constant theme that will contribute to the US being a hockey powerhouse in the future. So many NHL players who are from canada have sons that were born in the US playing for them. Now they get another one, only weird thing was his father wasn't born in canada but yan in fact was... I guess he grew up in the US hockey system though.

What makes it more interesting is the fact that all these players are pretty much the top players on there US team when they play at there age. More apparent with the world juniors

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It makes me sad. I really wish some of these great Canadian players would raise their kids in Canada. I know a few European hockey players insist on their kids returning to their native country for school and such, and this often results in early retirements or threats of early retirement...Basically I just want some of the Canadian talent to remain Canadian.

On the flipside, having a ton of NHL teams in America seems to really help the talent base. Good for them. Hopefully with more of these 'Great' names more fans will be attracted to the game, which can only further benefit hockey.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
bonefizzle said:
Yan Stastny, the son of Quebec Nordiques legend Peter Stastny,Stastny was born in Quebec City and lived here until the age of seven.

I think this is a constant theme that will contribute to the US being a hockey powerhouse in the future. So many NHL players who are from canada have sons that were born in the US playing for them. Now they get another one, only weird thing was his father wasn't born in canada but he in fact was... I guess he grew up in the US hockey system though.

What makes it more interesting is the fact that all these players are pretty much the top players on there US team when they play at there age. More apparent with the world juniors

Chris Borque's another quality example. I don't think it's a bad thing. Canada will always have enough good hockey players to go around.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
ummm....Peter Stastny wasn't a Canadian. He was Czechoslovakian(modern day slovakia)

Yan(and his younger brother) spent most of their lives in St Louis.

You're really grasping, here. I know that you think there's something in Canadian blood that makes you a better hockey nation, but that definitely can't be said of the Stastny's, Bourques, Parises. These kids grew up in the USA. My grandmother was born in England, grew up in Montreal...but my dad doesn't consider himself Canadian or English. He's American, just as any second generationer in this country(there are tons of them, be it Canadian, Hispanic or Asian) considers themself an American.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Number 19 said:
It makes me sad. I really wish some of these great Canadian players would raise their kids in Canada. I know a few European hockey players insist on their kids returning to their native country for school and such, and this often results in early retirements or threats of early retirement...Basically I just want some of the Canadian talent to remain Canadian.

On the flipside, having a ton of NHL teams in America seems to really help the talent base. Good for them. Hopefully with more of these 'Great' names more fans will be attracted to the game, which can only further benefit hockey.

You mean Niklas Lidstrom who talked about how badly he wanted to have his sons grow up in Sweden and then signed a contract to remain in North America for $10 million per

Do you want the wife to give birth in Canada? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
RangerBoy said:
Do you know how foolish you sound?Do you want the wife to give birth in Canada? ;)

yeah, kinda...lol

the lidstrom gene would be a welcome addition to any country's hockey program ;)

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
ummm....Peter Stastny wasn't a Canadian. He was Czechoslovakian(modern day slovakia)

You're really grasping, here. I know that you think there's something in Canadian blood that makes you a better hockey nation, but that definitely can't be said of the Stastny's, Bourques, Parises. These kids grew up in the USA. My grandmother was born in England, grew up in Montreal...but my dad doesn't consider himself Canadian or English. He's American, just as any second generationer in this country(there are tons of them, be it Canadian, Hispanic or Asian) considers themself an American.

i never said peter was!!

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
nomorekids said:

i know they grew up in the US but the point being made is that the US is the only nation in the world that benefits from NHL players living in the US and therefor having kids in the US.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
bonefizzle said:
i know they grew up in the US but the point being made is that the US is the only nation in the world that benefits from NHL players living in the US and therefor having kids in the US.

Canada also does, and lots of Euro nations benefit similarly from their hockey leagues. For instance, Vanek on Team Australia (even though his dad was a soccer, not hockey, player... but I think you get the point).

Besides, you say it like it is a bad thing. This is what America is supposed to be all about... the Great Melting Pot.

Also, I agree with the previous point that if your parents grew up in Canada and you grew up in America you are American and vice versa. This isn't a matter of blood but nationality, unlike being Irish, Italian, etc in terms of race.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rob Paxon said:
Canada also does, and lots of Euro nations benefit similarly from their hockey leagues. For instance, Vanek on Team Australia (even though his dad was a soccer, not hockey, player... but I think you get the point).

Besides, you say it like it is a bad thing. This is what America is supposed to be all about... the Great Melting Pot.

Also, I agree with the previous point that if your parents grew up in Canada and you grew up in America you are American and vice versa. This isn't a matter of blood but nationality, unlike being Irish, Italian, etc in terms of race.

Vanek of AustraLIA?

:biglaugh:

I know its a typo but funny nonetheless.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I'm sure that less than 5% of sons of NHL players will become NHL players themselves. So who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad