WJC: US Cities in Running to Host 2026 WJC - St. Paul/Minneapolis, Seattle/Everett and Vegas/Henderson

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Hopefully they do it better than they did in Buffalo. Even the games with US playing, the rinks were empty.
I'd like to think so. I mean our state high school hockey tournament pulled in 22,000 people for one of the semi final games a few years back. Then again, Minnesotans are pretty rabid about the local hockey. High school boys ice hockey in Minnesota - Wikipedia

1700193482092.png

Not exactly sure how they'd be with international play. But, if they do a good advertising blitz in the lead up to it, I could for sure see it doing well.

I'd love to go if this state pulls it in.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To me, it's Vegas as the best bet. Tonnes of Canucks will make that trip.

FTR.. I also think the revolving World Cups (if they ever happen) should be in Vegas too!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The places near either side of the border aren’t particularly well populated.
Winnipeg is only an 8ish hour drive to Minnie/Saint Paul and the World Juniors should not even be near big cities with little interest in junior hockey. Minnesota lives and breathes hockey, The X literally sells out 18,000+ every year for High School kids. If tickets aren’t stupidly priced theyll have no problem selling out games for the US World Junior squad and getting travellers from over the border.

Back then it was a matter of poor facilities and lack of interest/importance for Minnesota hosting the WJC. Not remotely the case anymore.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'd like to think so. I mean our state high school hockey tournament pulled in 22,000 people for one of the semi final games a few years back. Then again, Minnesotans are pretty rabid about the local hockey. High school boys ice hockey in Minnesota - Wikipedia

View attachment 769360
Not exactly sure how they'd be with international play. But, if they do a good advertising blitz in the lead up to it, I could for sure see it doing well.

I'd love to go if this state pulls it in.

Please bring it to MN Holy shit

To elaborate, Junior hockey is like our state's big thing, its such a travesty we haven't hosted in forever.
It would be a festival akin to IIHF World Championships in Europe and I would absolutely go and get drunk and watch hockey all day lol.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Please bring it to MN Holy shit

To elaborate, Junior hockey is like our state's big thing, its such a travesty we haven't hosted in forever.
How would they do with teams not USA or Canada? That often can be the marker, I thought last year the crowds were buzzing for even the smaller nations games. While in the past in NA, a game like Austria-Germany would be a disaster attendance wise.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Seattle would be my pick, great hockey city with two great facilities available and pre established junior hockey fan base of the most consistently well attended American CHL team. Also very close to the Canadian border and that seems to matter for USA Hockey

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Winnipeg is only an 8ish hour drive to Minnie/Saint Paul and the World Juniors should not even be near big cities with little interest in junior hockey. Minnesota lives and breathes hockey, The X literally sells out 18,000+ every year for High School kids. If tickets aren’t stupidly priced theyll have no problem selling out games for the US World Junior squad and getting travellers from over the border.

Back then it was a matter of poor facilities and lack of interest/importance for Minnesota hosting the WJC. Not remotely the case anymore.
Historically, they choose American cities near larger Canadian border cities so that it will be well attended by Canadians. World Juniors aren't a big thing in the U.S.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
How would they do with teams not USA or Canada? That often can be the marker, I thought last year the crowds were buzzing for even the smaller nations games. While in the past in NA, a game like Austria-Germany would be a disaster attendance wise.
It would depend on ticket prices for the less interesting games, you would get a huge amount of youth engagement and family interest, as the usual high school hockey crowd would likely be all over this and interested in just watching all players at this level. But they are used to paying $10 a pop to watch quality hockey games in person, and this does go down in the middle of youth tourney season, though I bet there would be some schedule adjustments to things like the Schwanns tourney for an event like the world juniors.

Essentially I think they would struggle to squeeze out major revenue from corporate rate tickets, but the public demand would be quite large and you could get packed houses for every single game if you wanted.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There are more than enough people on both sides of the border to support a US hosted WJC in Minnesota.
Yes, perhaps, that's why they are contemplating them, but those are the reasons amongst others why it hasn't been in the past. They've even done the world juniors in Grand Forks, North Dakota before because it's close to Winnipeg.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Yes, perhaps, that's why they are contemplating them, but those are the reasons amongst others why it hasn't been in the past. They've even done the world juniors in Grand Forks, North Dakota before because it's close to Winnipeg.
Yeah and that was a terrible idea frankly. No one wants to drive through Fargo in the middle of winter besides absolutely crazies. I love the world juniors and didn’t go for that, they saw that it hosts a youth international tournament every year and packs the house but that is a one time annual event flooded with participants family and scouts, it cuts out the entire metro area where all the people, money, and interest are.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
MN obviously deserves it, State of Hockey and all that, before the other two applicants.

MN bros, everyone itt is citing the state high school tournament as proof of rabid interest in a WJC. How well do you think that state high school enthusiasm would transfer over?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
MN obviously deserves it, State of Hockey and all that, before the other two applicants.

MN bros, everyone itt is citing the state high school tournament as proof of rabid interest in a WJC. How well do you think that state high school enthusiasm would transfer over?
They will sell out most games if tickets are priced fairly

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad