*Urgent* - The HFNHL General Manager Code of Conduct

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
So I sign Sami Aittokallio(R) to get my 3 goalies for nothing ?? I should have done like them &$$&* the rules...wow

Not sure what you mean by this, but there seems to be a common misconception amongst GM's that there is a disadvantage to signing a guy like Aittokallio to a pro contract, when the reality is there is absolutely no disadvantage.

The rules state that you sign a 21 year old to a 3 year deal, 22-23 year olds to 2 year deals, and 24 year olds to 1 year deals. As such, signing him now at 21 has no disadvantage in terms of "rookie years lost".

From a financial perspective, it costs $50,000 per year for a prospect on your prospect list after the first two years of being draft, so you are paying $50k per year for him anyway. Signing him to a 3 x $500k deal and having him in the minors at 10% is the same financial impact. Even at $65k per year in the minor, this is a nominal financial impact.

I know a few other GM's have seen this as a disadvantage at first, but then realized that there is no big advantage for guys like this to sit on your prospect list once they considered the above. The only real disadvantage is for 18 or 19 year olds who have not made a huge impact, but are in the NHL. These are guys sometimes it's better to wait a year until they have a really good rating, because it's a 3 year deal whether they are 18, 19, 20 or 21, so there is some advantages in that situation, but for 90% of the prospects, that is not the case.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Yes nice explanation but still the rules are there for everybody. And what If I had trade to get a 3rd goalie? Yes we have to have fun with the league but still some rules to obey no? ...

And they are being obeyed...so I don't see what the issue is or why we're even talking about it? Jeff already mentioned that the teams had made moves to address their roster requirements, but that he had not processed them.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Sounds good. Just reading up on rules etc to make sure I don't get taken advantage of

As noted, there’s a committee that reviews trades for compliance with league rules, and also for a degree of fairness. The latter aspect is much more a factor with new GMs to help protect you while you get used to the league, sim and GMs. So there’s a bit of a safety net there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->