Updated ISS rankings

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I was wondering the same thing.

I keep reading these stories where they talk about how weak a skater he is and how that just won't fly in the new NHL. I have not seen him play. Can anyone give me an eyes on assessment of this guy?

He's not a weak skater, he's pretty fast and it's just his offensive radar and hands are letting him down. His intensity is good, really good, his size is good. Actually I've been pretty critical of him but the last couple games I've seen he's been better...I predict despite his offensive challenges he'll go between 20 and 35!!!!

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Glad to see Brad Phillips FINALLY getting some attention on the goalie rankings. The dude has a bright future ahead of him.

And Sweatt at 33? WAY too low. Hoeffel ahead of him? Ludicrous!

From what I understand, these are type of sentiments that are expressed -- somewhat more diplomatically -- in our monthly conference call among our scouts.

Rest assured, not all of our scouts are of one mind on all prospects. And they are not allowed to see each other's reports. So if one scout saw Sweatt on a couple of occasions when he didn't play well, then he might not be as impressed as somebody who saw him on a good day.

Sweatt is climbing quickly. At this point in the season, that is a good sign. The rankings become more in focus as time passes so take the rankings for what they are at this point, a work in progress.

We change our rankings on a monthly basis. Some guys are pretty set. Other guys are still moving a lot. Sweatt and Hoeffel are big movers at this point. Let's wait and see how it shakes out between now and June.

Also, Sweatt might look like a better player than Hoeffel now, but a scout's job is to predict what that player will be like in five years. I guess you can read our rankings as saying we think Hoeffel will be slightly better in five years, regardless of how fast and exciting a player Bill Sweatt is right now as a college freshman ... but that can change.

Last edited:

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
I agree. From what little I know of all these guys, this list seems to be the most accurate as far as I can tell. I do think that Gillies is higher on the list than what I've read would suggest, but I'd really like to hear from ISS what they see in him.

I was wondering the same thing.

I keep reading these stories where they talk about how weak a skater he is and how that just won't fly in the new NHL. I have not seen him play. Can anyone give me an eyes on assessment of this guy?

There are some other threads with ample extreme views in either direction on Gillies if you want to search for them.

I have to wonder where you heard he was a weak skater, however, as that is usually listed as one of his greatest strengths.

He's not a weak skater, he's pretty fast and it's just his offensive radar and hands are letting him down. His intensity is good, really good, his size is good. Actually I've been pretty critical of him but the last couple games I've seen he's been better...I predict despite his offensive challenges he'll go between 20 and 35!!!!

Here's our take on Gillies, who is falling in our estimation because of a lack of offensive production and skill.

He is a very good skater, and not just for a big kid. He gets in on the forecheck quickly. A valuable skill in today's NHL where interference is called. He drives hard to the net. Something a lot of kids won't do.

We are certain Gillies will play in the NHL. He might never be more than third-line winger though, unless he starts showing some hands and some puck skills.

But that's the question, if he shows some offence, he'll go first-round. If not, he'll fall. His audition is still ongoing and our view is that we're not going to drop him until the audition is over. Why? Because we're intrigued by his possible upside.

Short answer: Jury is still out.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
What about Katic.....How can he not be in your Top 30.

Well, if you follow the link on the TSN website to the Rising and Falling section, you'll see this writeup on Katic. (there are others, FYI)

Mark Katic - Sarnia

Much to our chagrin, we see no choice but to drop Katic down in our rankings after being so high on him coming into the season. He lacks size and has a tough time defending down low in D zone despite his good positioning. Not big enough to win physical battles. Simply put, Katic hasn't developed as expected.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Thanks ISS.

I was saying to another poster that it's really interesting how they are such widely divergent opinions on players right down to specific aspects of their game.

All part of the process I guess.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks ISS.

I was saying to another poster that it's really interesting how they are such widely divergent opinions on players right down to specific aspects of their game.

All part of the process I guess.

There really shouldn't be divergant opinions on Gillies' skating. It's in the top 1% for players of his size ... I've only seen a couple 17 y/o guys ever who are comparable skaters at 6'4". He's quick, he's agile, and he can flat-out fly at high speed - his lap time in the CHL prospects game was right up there with the best times ever put up in the NHL All-Star game by Gartner, Fedorov, etc. Anyone claiming his skating is anything but excellent has clearly never seen the guy play.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10631&hubname= said:
27. Andersson, Joakim C 6.02 198 L 2/5/1989 Frolunda

Nice to see Joakim Andersson getting some recognition. There is, however, a superior player on that Frölunda U20 team not mentioned here. Dane Lars Eller is, IMO, a much more interesting prospect.

Melchett

Feb 22, 2003
Hull
Visit site
Nice to see Joakim Andersson getting some recognition. There is, however, a superior player on that Frölunda U20 team not mentioned here. Dane Lars Eller is, IMO, a much more interesting prospect.

Interesting. I read some positive reviews of Eller on these boards earlier this season, but haven't seen much lately. Has he performed up to expectations this season, and what style of player is he? Could he conceivably sneak into the 1st round?

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
whos this Joakim Andersson from Sweden? first time ever heqaring about him and now hes in the top 30?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
what about that jim fraser guy who played for usa in the wjc. i know he is not first round material, but will he get drafted and where is he ranked.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Brett MacLean, anyone have some info on this guy? Seems like a big guy. What are his strengths, weaknesses?

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
what about that jim fraser guy who played for usa in the wjc. i know he is not first round material, but will he get drafted and where is he ranked.

Most likely unranked altogether. He is an 87 (already been passed over twice).

I can't argue with these rankings, best I've seen

Interesting to see Perron in the top 30...that would make 4 years in a row for a first rounder from the MaineIacs....that is a record I believe (they may already have it at 3, I forget).

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
There really shouldn't be divergant opinions on Gillies' skating. It's in the top 1% for players of his size ... I've only seen a couple 17 y/o guys ever who are comparable skaters at 6'4". He's quick, he's agile, and he can flat-out fly at high speed - his lap time in the CHL prospects game was right up there with the best times ever put up in the NHL All-Star game by Gartner, Fedorov, etc. Anyone claiming his skating is anything but excellent has clearly never seen the guy play.

Not sure what to tell you. I know what I read, but it is clear to me now that it was way off base. This is good because Gillies is a much more intriguing prospect to me now.

Any player that big and that fast will have a lot of teams interest.

Does Gillies play a physical game.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Brett MacLean, anyone have some info on this guy? Seems like a big guy. What are his strengths, weaknesses?

Strengths: good worker in the corners, very good shot, good stickhandler; Weaknesses: lack of consistency, though it has improved, skating (first couple of steps).

Be careful not to read too much into his point totals, he's playing on the top line with Tavares. He's fitting in and producing, which is a good sign, but he is playing with the best 16-year-old player in the world and one of the top players, if not the best, in junior hockey.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
He tries to, just a little gangly right now, tall and skinny so he gets knocked down quite a bit but he does not shy away, in fact he initiates contact most of the time....

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
what's the story with Eric Doyle? It seems like he is quietly working himself into a first rounder- anyone got any info as far as his style of play and a projection perhaps?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not sure what to tell you. I know what I read, but it is clear to me now that it was way off base. This is good because Gillies is a much more intriguing prospect to me now.

Any player that big and that fast will have a lot of teams interest.

Sounds a lot like Taylor Pyatt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad