Proposal: Updated Buffalo rebuild (ANA, CAR, BOS, TOR, NYR, PHI)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
New proposal based on feedback from 1st thread...

We start from something likes this (not really today's lines) - age; cap hit; contract years after this season;

Kane (26, 5.25, UFA) - Eichel (21, 10, 8) - Reinhart (22, ELC, RFA)
Pouliot (31, 1.1, UFA) - ROR (26, 7.5, 5) - Okposo (29, 6, 5)
Girgensons (23, 1.6, 1/RFA) - Larsson (25, 1.5, 1/RFA) - Pominville (35, 5.6, 1)
Nolan (28, 0.9, UFA) - Josefson (26, 0.7, UFA) - Moulson (34, 5, 1)

Scandella (27, 4, 2) - Risto (23, 5.4, 4)
Beaulieu (24, 2.4, 1/RFA) - Bogosian (27, 5.1, 2)
McCabe (24, 1.6, 1/RFA) - Antipin (24, ELC, RFA)

Lehner (26, 4, RFA)
Johnson (31, 2.5, UFA)

Bigger pieces in the farm of relevance with realistic chance for future NHL jobs in next 2 years:
Casey Mittelstadt
Brandon Guhle
Alex Nylander
Linus Ullmark
Rasmus Asplund
CJ Smith
Justin Bailey
Victor Olofsson
Evan Rodrigues
Nick Baptiste
Hudson Fasching

Cliff Pu
Markus Davidsson
Kyle Criscuolo

Proposed Trades:

Kane to ANA Ducks
for
Maxime Comtois (LW), 3rd round pick (conditional - WCF)

ROR + Baptiste to CAR Hurracanes
for
Zykov (W), Hanifin (D)

Sam Reinhart to BOS Bruins
for
Jeremy Lauzon (D), 2nd round pick, 5th round pick

Alex Nylander, Antipin to TOR Maple Leafs
for
Kapanen (W), Bracco (W), 3rd round pick

Jace McCabe, Okposo (30% retained), Fasching to NYR Rangers
for
Filip Chytil (C/W), Marc Staal (D)

Lehner to PHI Flyers
for
Neuvirth, 3rd round pick

Draft picks by round:
2018: 1-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-2, 5-2, 6-1, 7-1
2019, 1-1, 2-1, 3-2, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1

Until 2019 - accept the suffering and patch the team with young players, AHL-ers and short term vets. Try to obtain a good vet Center through UFA (unlikely many will be tempted to go to Buffalo...)

2018 1st - draft Boqvist. Focus on drafting C and D in 2018 and 2019.

Assumed gone (for late round pick returns or to UFA): Nolan, Moulson, Johnson, Larsson, Pouliot; it's assumed we bury Staal in the minors for last contract year.

Sample lineup 2019-2020:

Comtois - Eichel - Kapanen
CJ Smith - Mittelstadt - Zykov
Chytil - Asplund - Olofsson
Rodrigues - Girgensons - Pominville
Leftovers:
-Bracco
-Pu
-Davidsson
-Criscuolo
-Bailey
-Josefson
-B prospects from current farm

Hanifin - Risto
Scandella - Boqvist
Guhle - Lauzon
Leftovers:
-Bealieu
-Bogo
-B prospects from current farm

Ullmark
Random backup/1B off UFA
-
Luukkonnen

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Goldobin+Hutton for E.Kane+Pu
I'd rather keep Pu and Comtois/Goldobin is a wash for what I'm proposing here so I'd stick with the ANA proposal. Hutton doesn't seem to be trending towards being much.

only if rebuilds were this easy

Who said it's easy. We already f***ed up once by trying to pick up vets, this assumes going for youth and only vets are 1-2 year UFA agents that won't be here long term. We have assets with value and if we trade them for young players/picks it may end up working well. What I have proposed still has a lot of risk in it and assumes many of these young players develop well which is by no means guaranteed...

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Rangers are not trading Chytil and why do you want to trade Alex Nylander for Kapanen? The rest seems somewhat reasonable without considering that these trades would make Buffalo even more terrible in the short term

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Rangers are not trading Chytil and why do you want to trade Alex Nylander for Kapanen? The rest seems somewhat reasonable without considering that these trades would make Buffalo even more terrible in the short term
Cause we are not very high on Nylander anymore it seems, I don't watch AHL but those that do have not been too positive on him after he returned from injury. And he didn't wow much last year either. I'd rather go for lower-risk, lower-reward player in Kapanen. TOR have the brothers connection so may be more willing to take a chance on Alex.

For Chytil I have proposed a package that helps the Rangers quite a bit now, when they have still functioning Lundqvist. With the retention on Okposo and by dumping Staal for cheaper D in McCabe I'd think they take the offer. It's anyone's guess as none of us are GMs, just trying to look at where the franchise is and what they are gunning for. Chytil is still technically only magic beans...

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Many of these are bad for BUF. Comtois is a poor return for Kane, Reinhart can still get more than Lauzon+picks or we keep him, Not willing to sell low on Nylander already and trade one of our only decent looking D for lesser prospects,

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Works for me. In the old thread everyone told me you don't want Bogo but Antipin seemed OK...
Yea, we don't want Bogosian. Guys a bum.

Nylander + Antipin
for
Kapanen + Soshnikov (contract dump for me) + 3rd

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Works for me. In the old thread everyone told me you don't want Bogo but Antipin seemed OK...
I saw that.
I like Bogosian, but haven't really kept much of an eye on him lately. Would want an upgrade on Polak and keep the snarl - hope he can stay healthy and like Babs system.
I think Pu would make a good cost controlled 3rd liner in soon time.
Nylander and Kapanen are both wild card players - both could come back to bite the other in the ass if they hit potential.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Cause we are not very high on Nylander anymore it seems, I don't watch AHL but those that do have not been too positive on him after he returned from injury. And he didn't wow much last year either. I'd rather go for lower-risk, lower-reward player in Kapanen. TOR have the brothers connection so may be more willing to take a chance on Alex.

For Chytil I have proposed a package that helps the Rangers quite a bit now, when they have still functioning Lundqvist. With the retention on Okposo and by dumping Staal for cheaper D in McCabe I'd think they take the offer. It's anyone's guess as none of us are GMs, just trying to look at where the franchise is and what they are gunning for. Chytil is still technically only magic beans...

Nylander is significantly more skilled than Kapanen and is still just 19 years old. Heck, he isn’t far off of Kapanen’s PPG pace this year. He is to talented to give up on so soon.

As for the Rangers, they have been actively making moves to get younger. They have traded both of their recent top 6 centers in Brassard and Stepan for Zibanejad and the Andersson pick. Turning around and moving Chytil, who has looked better than anyone could have possibly imagined, in a deal for Okposo is the exact opposite of what their management group has been doing over the past couple years.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

The offer is atrocious. And no, the Rangers wouldn’t take the offer.

Chytil is untouchable. Stop proposing crap for him. Please.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't know if the Leafs have the stomach to take Bogosian play, even Polak is better. The Leafs need all the Dmen help this year, and Bogo ain't it. And Bogosian cap hit might be too much for the Leafs too.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Many of these are bad for BUF. Comtois is a poor return for Kane, Reinhart can still get more than Lauzon+picks or we keep him, Not willing to sell low on Nylander already and trade one of our only decent looking D for lesser prospects,
Considering our play as a team we can't expect what we would perceive as "fair value". And we need to rebuild. So it's between rock and a hard place unfortunately. I'd still do something along the lines of this even if not exactly these trades.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Would ROR be available? Just a CBJ fan putting out feelers. The guys available would be Murray, Jenner, Milano, Carlson, Nutivaara, and 99% of the prospects. Also any pick we have I think we are missing a 2nd in a year or 2. Something like our top prospect Abramov, Nutivaara (who is in his 2nd year and Torts is high on him calling him and Murray the 2nd pair now and has fantastic offensive zone IQ) and let's say this year's first and next years 3rd? Could also do a Murray, Jenner, and a 3rd? It's like a build your own pizza haha.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

It doesn’t help them now. And they don’t take that offer.

Besides, you don’t want magic beans.

Reactions: Monument

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad