Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Successful coaches can sometimes be available due to the nature of the job. GMs who are “successful” are also “unsuccessful” if they are available since there is no shelf life on GMs.

I think they were asked to try and win on emotion and just get it done with determination for so long under DJ that these athletes need to be reprogrammed

Last edited:

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Never says anything. There is no point listening to him I mean, the Josh Norris surgery...bud, it's ok you can talk about it you know? He had it months ago ffs
To me, so far Staios and the Sens' new management team come across sounding - what's the word I'm looking for? - oh yeah, competent! Pleasant change, don't you think?

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
To me, so far Staios and the Sens' new management team come across sounding - what's the word I'm looking for? - oh yeah, competent! Pleasant change, don't you think?
They do sound competent, but it’s also true they say nothing. Murray was both competent at his job and candid with the media, for example. But whatever, I don’t really care, and I get why Staios might be extra cautious post-Dorion. Might loosen up over time.

Reactions: coladin and DrEasy

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
It appears that initially, they favored Gruden for the head coach position at the start of the season. However, as the season progressed and they received feedback from Martin, it seems he recommended a veteran coach with head coaching experience or a winning pedigree, rather than a first-time head coach with limited experience.
If they’re paying Jacques Martin to make that recommendation, then I think a number of us have a career in coaching consultation.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The team needs to mature & that comes with time, some get it sooner & others later. The good news is that some of them are starting to come into their prime & I expect will get better & commit to team defence.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really smart of Staois to take pain and frustration of this season and equate it to losing as a team and using that as motivation for the next season. If the Stanley Cup is paid for in full with ‘blood, sweat and tears’ I think it wassi ntelligent thing the GM did to make this season a team lose towards a greater team goal and he didn’t use any excuses and he didn’t park it on DJ or Martin or the late sale or tor the legacy of burying Dorion’s culture (suspension, 1st round pick lost) or the goalies or the defence or underperforming stars. Team first, no pointing fingers, but he basically told the players to take the L like men don’t look around for excuses and come back better. Massive culture change. Had Brady Tkachuk or any of these young players ever been fairly criticized by this organization before DJ Smith was fired? Dorion compared Sanderson to Erik Karlsson and he hadn’t even put on an NHL jersey yet and called Brady Tkachuk ‘hockey royalty’ in his rookie season.

No wonder nobody was back checking. Now everyone is going to be back checking. Stutzle about Alfie saying to him “pull the game tape on any NHL game I ever played and I will be on the right side of the puck” how boss is that, thats the new standard now. Alfie Rule.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

The sound bites are definitely better from this regime but the proof will be in the pudding. This off season will be very telling. Big changes need to be made. If very little changes or if they make bold but poorly thought out Dorion like moves . . . I give up.

I don't give a shit what words come out of their mouths at this point. Make some good, simple changes.

Reactions: DrEasy and Grizwald

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
1713795482309.png

Staios et all have us perfectly positioned.

We are breathing down Detroit's neck.. and with some luck, we can knock off Buffalo.

And something that people are not seeing and appreciating! Once we hit 8 seasons, we enter the all time list. How often can a team find itself in the unique position of all time achievements?

Now, there are milestones and achievements that are so incredible that no one should really consider.. Buffalo; 17 seasons and counting without a series win.. This is Gretzky territory. It is somewhat unlikely to see anyone score 2800 or so points.

There is the Blue team and 55 season and counting of no cup or no cup final round. That, is another of the untouchables. Probably on par with Cy Young and his 511 wins..

But in a more realistic sense and as a more achievable target... 9, 10, possibly 13 or 14 season of missing is real and achievable. We all need to have faith in the Sens and support this effort.

we are 3-4 season of futility away from taking over the #1 spot in having the worst record over a 20 year period and those same 3-4 seasons could get us to the coveted double digit playoff drought.

Be patient, have faith.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They do sound competent, but it’s also true they say nothing. Murray was both competent at his job and candid with the media, for example. But whatever, I don’t really care, and I get why Staios might be extra cautious post-Dorion. Might loosen up over time.
I agree with that. I can see why Staois does what he does especially following Dorion.

But, he is playing safe and we don’t have that much to go on so far. I’m not dismissing the firing of Dorion & DJ as insignificant, or a few hires that were made, but a lot of the on-ice type things are still yet to come and TBD. I guess we’ll learn more and start to see by the end of the summer.

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I will add that I did not like the Pierre Gautheir era and wouldn't mind some information. Honestly the Norris info is such an easy one to fill us in on

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What did you want? A bunch of lies and fodder like the last guy would belt out? ‘The rebuild is over’ or or how he would flip and flip on whether DJ Smith is his coach or whether they are competing for a playoff spot or not?

You want him to tell you who he’s not signing like the last guy? That always seemed unprofessional to me and glad Staios addressed it head on by saying now is not the time to do that.
No, I don't want lies and fodder. No I don't need a proclamation. Don't be a dork.

If coming across as evasive is your type of manager then go ahead and enjoy. He can comment on a surgery that is after the fact. It really isn't that hard is it. Fans who follow and pay for these players should get a modicum of information as to where their money is going. Is it the same injury? Same surgery? It really isn't that hard

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it's worth pointing out that this is his first go at being an NHL GM. He's also a former player. It is a much more front facing media position and players are coached to basically say nothing to every question that gets asked.

I could see him opening up and appearing less cautious over time, but that's not a bad initial strategy imo.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think it's worth pointing out that this is his first go at being an NHL GM. He's also a former player. It is a much more front facing media position and players are coached to basically say nothing to every question that gets asked.

I could see him opening up and appearing less cautious over time, but that's not a bad initial strategy imo.

Comparing him to Murray is unfair because Murray had lived a lifetime in the league prior to coming to Ottawa and may have felt more comfortable being honest and straightforward.

As someone who enjoys the content I'd obviously like Staios to be a bit more straightforward at times (or as he gets more comfortable in his role) but I have zero issues with him staying buttoned up in the short term. If he's going to let his work do the talking and have an off-season that has the arrow pointing up on this franchise no one will have any complaints about the lack of information. At the end of the day all we want as fans is success and Staios has an opportunity to position the organization that way this off-season.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Comparing him to Murray is unfair because Murray had lived a lifetime in the league prior to coming to Ottawa and may have felt more comfortable being honest and straightforward.

As someone who enjoys the content I'd obviously like Staios to be a bit more straightforward at times (or as he gets more comfortable in his role) but I have zero issues with him staying buttoned up in the short term. If he's going to let his work do the talking and have an off-season that has the arrow pointing up on this franchise no one will have any complaints about the lack of information. At the end of the day all we want as fans is success and Staios has an opportunity to position the organization that way this off-season.
For sure. Murray was a boss at dealing with the media that I don't think is fair to compare Staios to him in his first year. It's not like the last guy came anywhere close. I'm looking for something in between Murray and the media train wreck "we're a team" guy. No issues with Staios wanting to keep it buttoned if the moves turn out well.

I too like to hear more, but it always mattered more what they did than what they said, so at least he didn't shoot himself in the foot.

Reactions: stempniaksen

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
For sure. Murray was a boss at dealing with the media that I don't think is fair to compare Staios to him in his first year. It's not like the last guy came anywhere close. I'm looking for something in between Murray and the media train wreck "we're a team" guy. No issues with Staios wanting to keep it buttoned if the moves turn out well.

I too like to hear more, but it always mattered more what they did than what they said, so at least he didn't shoot himself in the foot.
This is one of many reasons why I don't see Pierre Dorion being the head of another Organization again. He doesn't know how to communicate effectively, and it's not because he was bilingual so many gave him the benefit of doubt for .

Funny actually, he hasn't turned up anywhere at all, even for a scouting role capacity ...

Telling how his NHL peers think of him.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Since I brought up Murray, I’ll just clarify it wasn’t a comparison. The point was merely that you can be both competent and candid, and he was an example.

I understand why Staios is the way he is. It might even be advantageous considering how fragile this team and all that surrounds it seems to be these days. But in saying that I still would prefer him to be more open than he is, and I think he could be saying more without consequences. But this is the least of my worries with this team anyway, so oh well.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is one of many reasons why I don't see Pierre Dorion being the head of another Organization again. He doesn't know how to communicate effectively, and it's not because he was bilingual so many gave him the benefit of doubt for .

Funny actually, he hasn't turned up anywhere at all, even for a scouting role capacity ...

Ya I don't know what to think about him. Started out liking him before he was GM and soured on him. I think he'll pop up and get a job at some point, but there's no convincing me anyone is ever handing him the keys to their house again.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Sounds like we need to add a sports psychologist to help the younger players like Stutzle and Tkatchuk to control their emotions.
The players need help dealing with loses and setbacks. I’ve often thought that it wouldn’t hurt to bring on a Sports Psychologist to help with confidence in the face of adversity.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

That Dadonov situation might have done him in for good honestly. I don’t think he was going to be a GM again regardless but if he doesn’t even get a scouting role it’s probably because of the dysfunction he created in this org.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I think his utter incompetence is far greater a factor than his goofy media tendencies. I’ll bet anyone on here $100 that he never becomes a GM in the NHL again. Frankly, I’d be surprised if he was in any management/supervisory role in the NHL ever again.

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That Dadonov situation might have done him in for good honestly. I don’t think he was going to be a GM again regardless but if he doesn’t even get a scouting role it’s probably because of the dysfunction he created in this org.
I agree with this.

I think his track record had good and bad to it. The NHL is an old boys league and he's been around for 25+ years. Someone would have given him a job.

But the Dandonov thing points to a personal integrity issue. I think if he never works in the league again it'll be because of that.

I am bit surprised though that we haven't heard one word of him since he got canned

Reactions: Loach and PlayOn

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
I agree with this.

I think his track record had good and bad to it. The NHL is an old boys league and he's been around for 25+ years. Someone would have given him a job.

But the Dandonov thing points to a personal integrity issue. I think if he never works in the league again it'll be because of that.

I am bit surprised though that we haven't heard one word of him since he got canned
Pierre Dorion is likely still getting paid from Ottawa Senators still before his contract runs down,

I'm guessing he probably has a NDA, isn't allowed to talk.

But yeah Pierre Dorion's integrity is certainly in question as it might be hard for people working with him to trust him in the future.

Tough to work with someone if you can't trust them..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

No big surprise. I'll be surprised if he lands anything more than a scouting role .. if that in the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Put this here vs creating a thread.,.. Its an independent look at the rebuild of the Sabres, Ducks, Sens, Wings and Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad